Finnex 4 - Algae, help!
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > Planted Nano Tanks

Old 11-07-2008, 03:16 AM   #1
pbfreakon
Algae Grower

PTrader: (1/100%)

Finnex 4 - Algae, help!

Well, it's time for me to begin a little journal. This tank is my first foray in to the planted tank world, which has so far been quite an exercise in patience!

Anyways, a little history. I've had the tank for about a month now. It started off not lookin so great, but my main worry at the time was getting things growing. That went pretty well in fact, but I wasn't so happy with the layout so I changed things around a little. This is how she looks now:

As for the details..

Robocop Lamp (10hrs/day)
DIY co2 (two 1 litre bottles on one diffuser)
What I believe to be a Red Sea nano filter
Fluorite dark (I don't like the way it looks, but soon it should be covered)
No ferts yet

Plants

Dwarf Hairgrass is it right now, but I'll be getting some glosso in the mail here soon, and some anubias nana petite a few days after.

Hardscape

I have no clue what kind of rock this is, it's not so great but it's not so bad so I'm keeping it for now. Also, along with the anubias will be a few branches of manzanita which I'm really looking forward to.

As for fauna I've got one pond snail hiding in there somewhere (I find him in the filter quite often and usually place him on the opposite side of the tank. He then promplty begins heading back towards it.) I plan on adding some shrimp once I've got the glosso and anubias growing well.

Plans

I'd like to eventually replace the Red Sea filter with a small canister, either a zoo med or a diy (as making things appeals to me). Also, the robocop lamp looks ridiculous. I'm planning on making a new fixture using the insides of the lamp. If I find what I need at home tomorrow I might have a nice new fixture here in the next week or so. If not, it could be awhile.

Some more pics, she isn't much yet but we'll see! Right now I've got a little algae (GDA I think) and it's pearling like crazy.

Last edited by pbfreakon; 01-10-2009 at 06:15 PM..
pbfreakon is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-07-2008, 03:29 AM   #2
Down_Shift
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (21/100%)
Send a message via AIM to Down_Shift

wow nice finnex tank.
Down_Shift is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2008, 03:42 AM   #3
Ugly Genius
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (3/100%)

Great start. For a first tank, you're doing things right, in my opinion: being patient, good light, CO2, no ferts initially, and a careful selection of plants.
The rock is really nice. If you can find more of the same type, I would add a couple more. It looks a little bit like Seiryu stone.
What kind of shrimp are you thinking of putting in there?
Keep it up, pb!

Keep it up!
Ugly Genius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2008, 04:42 AM   #4
rekles75
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (104/100%)

Welcome to the Finnex club, There are quite a few of us on here with them. They are very nice tanks.

I think you are off to a great start, But if you are going to grow glosso you may have to use the light that came with the finnex along with the "Robocop Lamp", LOL also for it to spread along the substrate.

Lots of pearling, you even got the flourite pearling. Are you going to add a backround?

Tank looks great, Keep us updated

55 GAL #1---55 GAL #2 ---10 GAL---4 GAL Finnex---ALL SCAPES HAVE BEEN RETIRED.
rekles75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2008, 07:28 PM   #5
pbfreakon
Algae Grower

Ugly
I'm not sure on which shrimp, but something hardy and not too expensive.

rekles
I doubt I'll add a background anytime soon, the cinder blocks, though not great, are ok for now. But I've always liked the back lit paper idea.

Down Shift
Thanks!
Old 11-10-2008, 02:46 PM   #6
pbfreakon
Algae Grower

Small Update:

Bad news first I guess..

Got some glosso from helgymatt (thanks again!) but I forgot to give him my school address so it was sent home. It sat at home 3 days w/ no light on top of the 2 days it took to ship. It wasn't in in the best shape; I've planted it, but I fear it might not make it. We'll see though, it's only been in the tank a day.

Now the good news...packages! Got some flourish, excel and tweezers from the Dr.'s and I got my driftwood/anubias from badcop (can't wait for the wood to sink!).

Took some of the hairgrass out and planted glosso in the front, anubias will find a permanent spot when the wood is in. Pics later..
Old 11-11-2008, 01:40 AM   #7
pbfreakon
Algae Grower

Pics!

Driftwood

Anubias

and a fts...should've gotten some close ups of the glosso so you all can tell me how it looks.

One piece of the wood has sunk already which is great...and the anubias won't be staying there long.
Old 11-11-2008, 02:30 AM   #8
Ugly Genius
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (3/100%)

Your Glosso, from what I can see of it, looks fine. I'd bet it'll be just fine. Just give it light, CO2 and flow and it'll be okay.
Ugly Genius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2008, 02:35 AM   #9
CL
C-A-T-S

PTrader: (79/100%)

I can't wait to see it fill out It looks like you're on the right track
Old 11-13-2008, 07:25 PM   #10
pbfreakon
Algae Grower

Good news! The glosso is making a come back, there is new growth emerging from the substrate next to almost every plantlet. Now we'll see if it carpets or grows upwards..

Also, check out my plans for a new fixture using the hampton bay lamps electronics.

http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/di...sketch-up.html
Old 11-13-2008, 08:10 PM   #11
lilsuper2335
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

in one of the first closeups i notice the small white dots on the substrate...is that the seeds of the grass?
lilsuper2335 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2008, 10:14 PM   #12
pbfreakon
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilsuper2335 View Post
in one of the first closeups i notice the small white dots on the substrate...is that the seeds of the grass?
Those are oxygen bubbles, my substrate had a thin coat of algae on it which was photosynthesizing and releasing the oxygen in to bubbles. It's called pearling, pretty cool I think.
Old 11-23-2008, 10:15 PM   #13
pbfreakon
Algae Grower

The driftwood finally all sunk and while hastily putting it all in there I kind of stirred everything up....so I decided to drain it and replant. I think this will stay as it is for a while. Anyways, here's what I ended up with.

Here's a close up of what I thought was a really cool spot for some anubias. The rest of it was planted behind the big piece of wood on the right but it floated up and I haven't put it back yet.

Old 11-23-2008, 10:37 PM   #14
connordude27
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (36/100%)

cool tank i like the driftwood
connordude27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2008, 05:22 AM   #15
Dollface
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (77/100%)

Should get some moss on that driftwood, and then let it all grow in.
I really love your vertical placement of the driftwood, you dont see that to often.