University of Florida and neon tetra breeding
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Fish

Old 11-07-2008, 12:40 AM   #1
monkeyruler90
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (64/100%)
Send a message via AIM to monkeyruler90

University of Florida and neon tetra breeding

Yay, another reason to love UF. Theyve found a way of breeding neon tetras that makes them brighter and hardier.

what this means to us is that whenever we buy neons from lfs they won't die as quickly and they'll have better colors.
If only they could find a cure for neon tetra disease.

heres the link to the article

http://news.ufl.edu/2001/01/12/tetras/

heres another link describing the procedures

http://fishweb.ifas.ufl.edu/Faculty%...apmanTetra.pdf
Fluval pimp #4 aka PIMP master!
I SAID ITS GREAT
TO BE

A FLORIDA GATOR!!

40 gallon LED fixture
monkeyruler90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-07-2008, 02:36 AM   #2
Ebichua
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (82/100%)

That's awesome! I wonder if they can do cardinals now too :-) It'll be really great!
Ebichua is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2008, 03:27 AM   #3
plakat
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (8/100%)

That first article you linked is from 2001. The pdf is dated 1998 or there about. I wouldn't expect any change in the neon tetras you see at the store.
Old 11-07-2008, 03:55 AM   #4
rmc
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (60/100%)

I'll stay with wild-caughts. The mortality rate I have with wild cardinals is far less than what I've experienced with the farm-raised ones and their color leaves little room for improvement.
rmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2008, 05:37 AM   #5
Aquarist_Fist
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (6/100%)

Well, by the time wild caughts arrive in your aquarium, only the hardiest individuals have survived. But for each one you put in your tank, another one died.
Pimp Club Member #313

Originally Posted by macclellan
my personal favorite is Random Capitalization. It is so Very fun and Surprising.
Aquarist_Fist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2008, 11:02 AM   #6
rmc
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aquarist_Fist View Post
Well, by the time wild caughts arrive in your aquarium, only the hardiest individuals have survived. But for each one you put in your tank, another one died.
Wow, if your experience is that tragic you should rethink how you land your fish and/or find yourself a different supplier.

I don't have issues anywhere close to what you have stated. It may be your opinion but it is far from factual.
Old 11-07-2008, 02:26 PM   #7
Aquarist_Fist
Wannabe Guru

I'm sorry, I wasn't clear here. What I meant was that wholesalers, importers, and LFS have immense losses - often around 50% (I think this was also stated in one of the articles somewhere). Accordingly, for every wild caught fish that makes it into a consumer's aquarium, one has died somewhere on the road of the supply chain.
Pimp Club Member #313

my personal favorite is Random Capitalization. It is so Very fun and Surprising.
Old 11-07-2008, 03:22 PM   #8
rmc
Planted Tank Enthusiast

I'm not sure who compiled the data but I've been importing fish for a long time and 4% -5% mortality rate is a lot more accurate in my experience and that includes species that are known to be extremely fragile like Altums. In most cases with Tetras and other fish from the Amazon, people are taking fish from soft, acidic water and putting them in tanks filled with the liquid rock they call tapwater without taking the time to let the fish adjust. Naturally, it's everyone elses fault that the fish died.

There are too many factors that effect the mortality rate to make blanket statements that wild fish are inferior in hardiness. It all depends on the shipper and the experiece of the people receiving the fish.

I have dealt with shippers that did such a horrible job of packing that if 35% survived it was a miracle but those places don't stay in business very long. Out of 1000 Weitzmani Tetras that I imported I think I lost maybe 3-5 fish total. I thnk that alone blows a big hole in the 50% doa theory.
Old 11-07-2008, 09:48 PM   #9
Aquarist_Fist
Wannabe Guru

Hm, I have worked with some big name Asian importers, and large losses were pretty common. Not that every shipment has them, but you also have to account for the occasional container sitting in quarantine a day too long or being forgotten at the pickup station. I just believe in buying local as much as possible as responsible fischkeeping should start at the beginning of the supply chain.

Edit: Argh, where is my brain? You have been talking about wild caughts all the time, and I have been even saying "wild caught" all the time, but actually I was talking about cheap imports from (mostly Chinese) farms.

Apologies, just disregard my posts. There is nothing wrong with wild caughts, provided they are caught/shipped responsibly.
Pimp Club Member #313

Tags
neon tetras, university of florida