Questions/ concerns for Python users
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Equipment

Old 05-14-2004, 01:06 AM   #1
wonder woman
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (0/0%)

I just used my new Python Clean & Fill for the first time last night, and love it, although I have some concerns and questions for other users:
1- I don't seem to get as rapid a suction (or filling) as I do with a regular siphon. It took WAY too long to drain and fill just half of a 10g. The hose is 75' long. Is that why (too long for the water to travel)? Would I have been better off getting a shorter length (50' would have worked)?
2- How exactly do I empty out ALL of the water from the tubing after siphoning out and filling a tank? I left the drain open, and the faucet "on", for suction, but it was very, very slow. The only way I was able to get ALL the water out was to hold the whole mess of tubing ABOVE the sink, so that it would drain naturally from gravity. And 75' of tubing is pretty heavy for me!
Thanks in advance!
MEMBER: #15 Eheim Pimps Club, Cory Addicts Anonymous, COAST, AGA.
550g pond= koi, comets/shubunkin, water lillies.
165g RES turtle pond in progress.
100g planted tank= 240 watts c.f., 1 DIY 1-gal co2 jug, platies, angels, lace gouramies, congos, black neons, otos.
30g= cories, platies, platy fry, ghost shrimp.
18g= platy fry
10g= baby RES tank- Turtlebuddy
30g= temp. adult RES tank- Myrtlemamma
20gL= temp. juv. RES tank- Tweak and Mertle
wonder woman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-14-2004, 01:17 AM   #2
ninoboy
Wannabe Guru

Do you keep the faucet running during vacuuming? It should suck drain the water fast. Open the faucet to full blast if you want it faster.

I empty out the tube the way you do it and take less than a minute to drain it. You need to check the connector between the python and the faucet (the faucet pum). If you look from the top, there is hexagon shaped hole that you should make sure it's tightened properly or else it will lose a lot of pressure.
Eheim Pimp #21 (2) 2028 and auto feeder
ninoboy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-14-2004, 01:19 AM   #3
jake
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (15/100%)

You have pretty low water pressure? I could just about suck a golfball through my python. Is your tank downstairs and the faucet upstairs?
Old 05-14-2004, 01:23 AM   #4
wonder woman
Planted Tank Obsessed

The kitchen faucet's water pressure is really good. And I checked all the connections for tightness before starting (adaptor to faucet, adaptor to siphon thingy, etc). Tank and sink are on same floor, about 30' away from eachother. I kept my faucet all the way on during siphoning AND filling. The only thing I can figure is that maybe the distance is too far, or, there's a kink I can't find in all that mess that might be slowing things down.
100g planted tank= 240 watts c.f., 1 DIY 1-gal co2 jug, platies, angels, lace gouramies, congos, black neons, otos.
18g= platy fry
Old 05-14-2004, 01:47 AM   #5
Momotaro
Doesn't like Kool-Aid

PTrader: (52/100%)

I have never owned or used a Python, however it sounds an awful lot like a piece of equipment I use at work, a hydro aspirator.

Just a suggestion WW, make sure there is nothing clogged up inside the unit where it attaches to the faucet. could be blocked with a piece of leaf or possibly paper.

Just my guess! :?

Mike
Old 05-14-2004, 02:04 AM   #6
2la
Planted Tank Enthusiast

The drain function of the Python is only useful when the water level of the tank resides higher than the level of the drain's connection to the faucet. Otherwise the suction generated by the flow of water out of the tap must fight against gravity and the resistance afforded by the long length of tubing, and that results in a tremendous waste of water. Indeed, for a ten-gallon tank, using a Python is not only overkill but probably more work than just to use buckets! I use my Python only to fill. Using it to drain would be painstakingly slow, not to mention an unnecessary environmental strain.
2la is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-14-2004, 02:38 AM   #7
louisxyz
Algae Grower

I just wanted to add my 2Ę about python: DIY water changer way cheaper: If you go to a waterbed store, you can get the valve for 5$ and you just need to plug it to a garden hose, a lot cheaper and work as well.
Old 05-14-2004, 03:14 AM   #8
corigan
Planted Tank Enthusiast

I use a 100 foot python and it drains 50% of my 55g in about 2 minutes. The way I use to empty out the water left in the python is put it in drain position, and then do a wrap back to the faucet with the python connected. Holding the hose over your head and letting it drain down, then wrap up like a garden hose in the circle, you will see that the water goes down. I love the python, saves me so much time it's amazing. Of course like stated you can just make a DIY python for a very low cost.

Matt
Member #6 of the Eheim Pimp Club - 2 Eheim 2213 & 2215 w/ surface extractor, LiquidDoser and Auto Feeder.
corigan is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-14-2004, 07:47 PM   #9
wonder woman
Planted Tank Obsessed

Corigan-
that's exactly what I did, although I had some trouble untangling 75' of tubing, and then holding it above faucet level. But that's got to be the best way. Maybe I'll build up my arm strength!
18g= platy fry
Old 05-14-2004, 08:45 PM   #10
putty
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Check the internals of the unit that screws onto the tap. If you syphon debris with it, chances are the unit is clogged. You will need to take it apart (the top and bottom come off I believe.) and get the debris out. After that it should work like a charm.
Old 05-14-2004, 08:54 PM   #11
amanda huggenkiss
Planted Tank Enthusiast

I don't have a Python, but a similar unit from Lee's (basically the same thing). Anyway, much like Corigan, I just put it on the "drain" setting and wind the tube garden-hose-style as it empties. By the time I get to the sink, all the water has cleared out of the tube except for maybe the last couple feet. Then I just raise that up for a second and it drains too.

As others have posted, the higher your water pressure is (open the tap all the way), the more suction you get.

Have you tried it again? Any improvements?

wannacomewith.com
amanda huggenkiss is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-14-2004, 08:56 PM   #12
wonder woman
Planted Tank Obsessed

I haven't tried it a second time yet, but will be using it on my 100g this weekend, so we'll see. I'm definitely going to unravel and straighten out the whole 75' just to make sure there aren't any kinks. I'll post as to whether there are any improvements.
18g= platy fry
Old 05-14-2004, 09:59 PM   #13
LaserJock
Algae Grower

Once the siphon is established I unscrew the hose and move it to the sink or better yet the bathtub, which is a few feet lower. Better yet you can use the fill function to purge the line of air first in a large tank and not bother so much with the drain part. The hose can be cut length and reassembled.

Then again I like the buckets for my small tank as they provide lots of "fish tea" for the garden!
LaserJock is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-14-2004, 10:09 PM   #14
GDominy
Planted Tank VIP

I do the same.. I unscrew my Python hose and use it to fill buckets for the garden outside.. the rest just drains into my bathtub.
GDominy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-15-2004, 02:31 AM   #15
Scorpion
Planted Tank Enthusiast

I connect my 100 foot Python to a pump. More power!
EPC Member #27
Scorpion is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.