ADA Mini-M: Source
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > Planted Nano Tanks

Old 11-02-2008, 05:34 PM   #1
Ugly Genius
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (3/100%)

ADA Mini-M: Source

For the longest time, I could not come up with a name for this tank. Then, last night, my girl and I were watching Matrix Revolutions and I noticed a distinct similarity between one of the pieces of driftwood and the spires in 01, the machine city. Look.

Rather than call the tank 01, I wanted something with a bit more punch. So I decided on Source.

Now with a name, I can finally start a new topic.

As of right now, I don't plan on adding any more plants.

I want to have a tank that says more with less. Four plants, Mini Pellia, Anubias Nana "Petite", Dwarf Hairgrass "Short", and Mini Java Fern. This will be a very slow growing tank and I expect that it will take at least six months to get to where I see it in my mind's eye. Rather than make an impact with plant density and variety, this tank will have to rely on plant health and the shape of it's growth. For example, the Mini Pellia was placed in a V shape on the two pieces of driftwood; the Anubias Nana "Petite" was placed so as to grow in an arch on the root of the left side driftwood with a bit of Mini Java Fern placed to it's left at the end of the arch.

The Dwarf Hairgrass is a very short variety. This is the plant that will make or break the 'scape. If it grows in tight and clean, the tank will look great. If it doesn't...let's not think about that, huh?

The specs:
ADA Mini-M (5 point 5 gallons or thereabout)
28W @ 10,000k from an Archaea light fixture from AFA ($60 for those about to ask)
ADA Amazonia Aqua Soil Powder
Zoo Med canister filter
Dee Eye Why See Oh Two x one for now, soon to be two
Askoll 25W heater (made in Italy; this makes it seem cooler somehow)
Fert dosing is TBD

And there you have it. Let me know what you think.

Oh, I don't know what fauna I'll be adding. Probably shrimp but not for a while. I'll be severely overdosing the CO2 for the first month or two and fauna don't appreciate that all that much.
Ugly Genius is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-02-2008, 05:59 PM   #2
CL
C-A-T-S

PTrader: (79/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ugly Genius View Post
Dee Eye Why See Oh Two x one for now, soon to be two
LMAO! I can't wait to see it grow!
Old 11-02-2008, 09:14 PM   #3
@marko@
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (57/100%)

idk, the tank looks dark...
its probably just the camera setting, since 28 watts is good lighting.
Old 11-02-2008, 09:19 PM   #4
CL
C-A-T-S

Wait, that doesn't look like diy co2 to me
Old 11-02-2008, 09:23 PM   #5
@marko@
Planted Tank Guru

the bottle is plastic, and probably has a sugar water and yeast mixture. just with some machinery added to make it like pressurized.
Old 11-02-2008, 09:25 PM   #6
CL
C-A-T-S

Quote:
Originally Posted by @marko@ View Post
the bottle is plastic, and probably has a sugar water and yeast mixture. just with some machinery added to make it like pressurized.
That's definitely an ADA advance co2 system
Old 11-02-2008, 09:43 PM   #7
Ugly Genius
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (3/100%)

Hey, @marko. You're right. The tank is dark; much more than the twenty-eight watts would indicate.
The reason is not the camera, though. (I can blame a lot of things on my crappy camera, but not that.)
It's two things.
First, the light is a single 28W bulb. In my opinion, it's better to light a tank with two thirteen watt bulbs than a single twenty-eighter; the spread and proximity to the water can be more precisely placed. (It's why I'm in love with the Ott-light fixtures for nano tanks.)
Second, the driftwood on the left leans forward, casting a shadow over itself. This is unfortunate as much of the cool-looking Mini Pellia is growing on front of it.
That said, I'm hoping this less-than-what-it-should-be brightness will work to my advantage in terms of algae. Afterall, the plants I have in there are all low to medium light plants.
Oh, and there's a third reason. The water's still cloudy. It's better than on Friday, but it's still not crystal clear.

EDIT:
Here's the best I could do in terms of evening out the light spread with the Archaea.
I had to move the light fairly far right. I might get another lamp on there for photography purposes, but for the eleven hours this thing gets light, the Archaea will be it.

As this light uses the same bulb as the ADA Solar Mini, I really don't think that the Solar Mini is worth it's price.
While the fixture looks nice, the spread of the bulb does not in any way justify the two hundred plus dollar price tag.

cl, caught that, did ya? Right after I posted, I decided to move the pressurized CO2 onto Source. Riven gets the dee eye why for now. (Hey, does anyone know if there's something to for the ADA CO2 system to split the line so as to pump CO2 into both tanks at the same time from the same canister? Lemme know if you do.)
Ugly Genius is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-02-2008, 09:47 PM   #8
@marko@
Planted Tank Guru

you could use a some kind of mini "Y" connector. but it would need 2 valves, since riven and source probably will need different amounts of CO2.
Old 11-02-2008, 10:12 PM   #9
deleted_user_16
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (40/100%)
Send a message via AIM to deleted_user_16

why dont you upgrade to a 5 lb tank with a dual needle valve? then you can run it to both at dif ammounts, and its cheaper than ADA and lasts longer.
deleted_user_16 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-03-2008, 01:21 AM   #10
fish_fasinated
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (0/0%)

this looks great UG, im starting to think low maintenance is the way to go. mind you i on't have many algae problems with my nano. just mainly on the flame moss. i'm going to be adding some orange bee shrimp to take care of that little issue.

you should see if you can get some different little shrimp for this tank. some thing not commonly kept.

also a 5lb cylinder would work, much better split then the ADA system. those little cylinders are just too small to handle two tanks for long.
fish_fasinated is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-03-2008, 02:09 AM   #11
dylanserbin
Planted Member

where did you get that light, i know you mentioned where but i cant find it. any help?
dylanserbin is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-03-2008, 03:35 AM   #12
connordude27
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (36/100%)

thats a great looking tank i really like the rocks!

a weird question coming from someone knowing nothing about nanos..... what are all those pipes? i know the one on the far left is Co2 but what is that pipe running across the tank and the ones on the far right?
connordude27 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-03-2008, 05:27 AM   #13
Kayen
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Great start, the spire ... methinks it needs more ZING.
Old 11-03-2008, 12:31 PM   #14
ktsgolfer
Algae Grower

PTrader: (8/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by dylanserbin View Post
where did you get that light, i know you mentioned where but i cant find it. any help?
I think he said AFA for $60ish?

Quote:
Originally Posted by connordude27 View Post
thats a great looking tank i really like the rocks!

a weird question coming from someone knowing nothing about nanos..... what are all those pipes? i know the one on the far left is Co2 but what is that pipe running across the tank and the ones on the far right?
Pipe running across is spray bar from filter, and right side is the filter intake AFAIK.
ktsgolfer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-03-2008, 06:43 PM   #15
pbfreakon
Algae Grower

PTrader: (1/100%)

How do you like the zoo med?
pbfreakon is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.