Petsmart & Moonsand.
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Substrate

Old 05-13-2004, 10:19 PM   #1
silicon_dt
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

Just thought I would let everyone know that when I was in petsmart the other day I noticed they now carry black moon sand. I'm not sure if every petsmart carries it now, but it could save you some money on shipping.
silicon_dt is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-13-2004, 10:51 PM   #2
Rolo
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (7/100%)

They have been selling it a long time at my Petsmart...along with Fluorite, Fluorite red, and Onxy sand and rocks. Better yet, since they sell it for $25, print off this ad from Big Als and show it to them. They will do a price match.
Rolo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-13-2004, 11:47 PM   #3
Urkevitz
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (8/100%)

I bought mine at petsmart and it looks great.
Urkevitz is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-15-2004, 05:05 PM   #4
nexstar
Algae Grower

I have just set up my tank and have a substrate of all Flora Base. Great stuff but I would rather have a black bottom.

I am using my substrate as a reverse flow filtration sustem. I have my Eheim return going into the UGF.
Do you think this stuff is too fine to work would it pack up the bottom too much.

Thanks
Bob.

EPC Sig #28
25g Planted--
Eheim Pro 2126, Eheim Feeder, Milwaukee PH Controller, JBJ Regulator, solenoid and bubble counter for CO2 Injection,Mini Vortec Reactor, Rio 50 for surface , Flora Base, 74W lighting
nexstar is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-25-2004, 01:09 AM   #5
Rosko_22
Planted Member

Angry

In regards to the post by Rolo, how is a 20 lb bag of moon sand 13.99 (us) at big al's but 27.99 (can) on big al's canadian site? Last time I checked the canadian dollar wasn't 50 cents american!?!
Rosko_22 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-25-2004, 01:16 AM   #6
amanda huggenkiss
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Hey Rosko, check out mops.ca. Prices are generally a bit better than Big Al's. The moon sand is only 22.49. Still an outrageous difference between Canadian and US prices though.

wannacomewith.com
amanda huggenkiss is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-25-2004, 01:22 AM   #7
Rolo
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rosko_22
In regards to the post by Rolo, how is a 20 lb bag of moon sand 13.99 (us) at big al's but 27.99 (can) on big al's canadian site? Last time I checked the canadian dollar wasn't 50 cents american!?!
Can't you just print off the US price and bring it to Petsmart? Do they have Petsmart in Canada?
Old 05-25-2004, 02:17 AM   #8
Vinlo
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (1/100%)

Rolo, we do have PetSmarts in Canada. I have wondered for a couple months now if they 1. Price Match and 2. Are stupid enough to price match an american ad.

Rosko, I feel your pain. I ordered some Fluorite from BigAls.. since I live in windsor I was able to find someone in the states to order for me and I just picked it up. US price: $11.99 Canadian Price $29.99. Unreal man. I just don't get it.. it's a Canadian Company isn't it? Plus to pay $7.00 a bag extra for shipping it just isn't worth it.
Old 05-25-2004, 05:40 PM   #9
Georgiadawgger
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (14/100%)

Just my 2 cents. Petsmart is pretty darn good at price matching. I bought a penguin powerhead from a store a little while back for $25. I saw it on Big Als for $10 and they gave me the difference back in a refund. They've also done the same with my Python (don't ask me why I got a 50 foot one...too long!!!). I'm pretty sure they would match for fluorite and that would literally be a steal. PS. Petsolutions.com has fluorite for $9.99!!!
Old 05-25-2004, 05:42 PM   #10
corigan
Planted Tank Enthusiast

I went into petsmart the other day and got them to match me on a bag of flourite and a bag of tahitian moon sand for my 20g. Walked out of the store with both of em for what it would have cost for one bag there originally.

Matt
Member #6 of the Eheim Pimp Club - 2 Eheim 2213 & 2215 w/ surface extractor, LiquidDoser and Auto Feeder.
corigan is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-25-2004, 05:53 PM   #11
Georgiadawgger
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (14/100%)

Corigan, which Petsmart did you go to? I'll be moving back to ATL in August when I finish my PhD and will need to pick up probably two more bags of fluorite. Did you go to the one on Barrett Pkwy?
Old 05-25-2004, 05:56 PM   #12
corigan
Planted Tank Enthusiast

They have actually opened one up in woodstock on highway 92 and 575. It's about 5 minutes from my home so I went up there since the manager has told me to bring in any ads, he will price match me on anything. The barett parkway store is nicer, but he, it's petsmart, how nice can it be.. LOL.. I only go there when in a jam or for smaller items. I always pricematch there when possible.

Matt
Member #6 of the Eheim Pimp Club - 2 Eheim 2213 & 2215 w/ surface extractor, LiquidDoser and Auto Feeder.
corigan is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-25-2004, 06:05 PM   #13
tommyboy22481
Planted Member

I did not know that petsmart matched prices, that is a real eye opener. I have been getting stuff from bigals for a while but if they match prices its petsmart for me.

PS. anybody else realize you can save the source code of the web ad , go in and change the price then open it in a browser again and print it with the adjusted price? Just be sure to change the URL footer on the printout to what it should be. not that I would recommend ripping them off but there is a reason most places don't price match websites.........
Old 05-25-2004, 06:53 PM   #14
Vinlo
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (1/100%)

Tommy, wow.. now that is crooked.

Never thought of it. Your right though.. that's is why most places don't price match websites..
Old 05-25-2004, 07:31 PM   #15
Rolo
Wannabe Guru

Well I wouldn't doubt it if Petsmart had it somewhere in their policy not to pricematch websites; but I've read of so many instances of people successfully using internet ads, I could be wrong.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.