Running out of shops. Suffolk/Nassau.
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > Local Pet Stores, Clubs, and Conventions > New York

Old 11-01-2008, 05:38 PM   #1
Tim S
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)

Running out of shops. Suffolk/Nassau.

To any of you LI, guys what shops are you going to? Starting east I go to Country Critters in patchouge. Lots of fish, great show planted tank, but little to no plants. Magical Isle in Centereach, same deal, but the whole store has gone to S* lately, Half assed stock, and plants are all mush. Aquahut, was a joke, as far as plants go. So, anything else in Suffolk county? Nassua, Tropical showcase. Lots of plants but I can only get half to grow when I do buy them...very unhealthy. Then Aquarium Adventure, great everything but its all priced like its lined in gold. So.....what other options do we have? Mainly plants, obviously. Or am I stuck buying online? Thanks guys!
Tim S is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-01-2008, 05:55 PM   #2
smoq
local fisherman

PTrader: (37/100%)

Aquarium Adventure has become [censored][censored][censored][censored]ty recently- plants are way too expensive and overall quality decreased. You can try FISH Town USA http://www.fishtown-usa.com/index2.php. Nothing special, but sometimes they have some rare fishes and plants. Can you reccomend me something in nassau? County Critters is too far from me, as I live in Queens.
smoq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2008, 06:00 PM   #3
smoq
local fisherman

Funny thing is that I was in Aquarium Adventure in Chicago and it is 10x better than in LI and waaay cheaper.
Old 11-01-2008, 06:27 PM   #4
Chrisinator
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (32/100%)

If your willing to travel from time to time, Absolutely Fish is a great pet store down in Clifton NJ.
Chrisinator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2008, 07:15 PM   #5
Tim S
Planted Member

Um, NJ is a bit too far. I live in the middle of long island. I dont under stand how AA can charge so much. Its not even competative. I was looking for a new XP foam filter sponge, 3 pack on Drsfostersmith $13-$15, AA wanted $14 for one package!!
Old 11-02-2008, 12:25 AM   #6
smoq
local fisherman

I bought some red rotala in aa in chicago for $3.99 a bunch- exact thesame bunch was for $9.99 in their store in LI. I liked this store before as it had a lot of heathy plants and fishes, but recently plants are in bad condition and ocasionally covered with green algae, I can't believe they are charging so much for them anyway. The only time I'll go to that store will be when they do a 50% sale (check their website) or sometimes they have a $10 coupon on their site. I preffer Fishtown USA now- not great, but better and cheaper than AA.
Old 11-02-2008, 01:29 AM   #7
Tim S
Planted Member

Maybe I'll venture out to fishtown then, still a bit further then I'd like to travel just for some plants. Theres no other stores or shops that anyone knows of around the area?
Old 11-02-2008, 06:42 AM   #8
eeng168
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (99/100%)

I live in Queens so I hit up all the stores in Queens, Chinatown, and LI but never really buy anything except just to really look. Reason being that plants are so expensive, same typical plants, and not healthy. So yeah, most of these plants are going downhill.

But, ever since finding this great forum/community, this is basically where I get all my plants. I have found so many great healthy and rare plants than I can imagine by selling or trading for them.
eeng168 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2008, 04:54 PM   #9
FrostyNYC
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (16/100%)
Send a message via AIM to FrostyNYC

I have to concur with Eeng168. The best place to get plants is via the people on this forum and similar forums. You'll get the rarest plants and the best prices for the quantity sold, if you find the right sellers.

AquariumAdventure - Plants are half-dead, covered in algae and generally overpriced. Don't bother unless they're having they're 50% sale.
Tropical Showcase - I'm a fan, generally. Lots of stem plants and plants that arent sold anywhere else. I did purchase several here that died or just completely failed to grow, but I blame myself and my own tank conditions. The fish are overpriced here tho, fyi. Stem plants are buy 3 get one free, which comes to about 10 bucks for 4 bunches. Not bad.
Petsmart - Believe it or not, I found a gorgeous rubin sword at one. They occasionally get decent quality potted plants.

Regarding Queens stores, of everything I've looked at, Fishtown USA is the only one worth making a trip for. They have great fish specials, some rare fish and plants, but plants are expensive.

Again, I'd look to other hobbyists first, especially if you can find local ones instead of receiving by mail. I've made local trades about 10 times on Long Island and Queens, and I was very happy 90% of the time and got exactly what I wanted. But I know, it'd nice to have a "perfect" fish store on the island.
Old 11-03-2008, 12:23 AM   #10
Tim S
Planted Member

Ok, thats what I was thinking. I'll just have to make my rounds around here and look in the sale section here. But I've had that same experience twice with Tropical showcase....both times with Wistera! Out of all plants how can your tank be THAT messed up for Wistera? The last bunch I bought at petco and it took over my tank. So theres something up with there plants, cause my wistera is already going and so is another stem bunch I just bought there, less then 2 weeks ago. But either way thank you guys!!
Old 11-20-2008, 02:54 AM   #11
Wicket_lfe
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (7/100%)
Send a message via AIM to Wicket_lfe

Have you tried pets warehouse on sunrise highway? I think its on the nassau/suffolk border. I ordered plants online and picked them up a while back. Prices were pretty good since they apparently do a lot of online orders. Pickup def helps. Ive been to all the same stores as you have, but never really bought anything from them. Going to tropical showcase this weekend to get a red tiger lotus. Otherwise now that I'm in queens i shop here or in chinatown after work.
Wicket_lfe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2008, 09:03 PM   #12
Wicket_lfe
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (7/100%)
Send a message via AIM to Wicket_lfe

Just got back from MAgic Isle and surprised by a few things I found. Supposedly they have a constant supply of Amano Shrimp and 2 different Pygmy Corys. They had RCS, not sure of the quality but they had them. Also some Siamese Algae Eaters, not sure if they are True or not though.
Wicket_lfe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2008, 02:59 PM   #13
love_fish
Algae Grower

Yea i know what you mean man, there arent any good places to get plants in any of the stores. Although magic isle isn't bad for fish, pretty good quality. Then again i havent been there in a while so things may have changed.

I plan on ordering from aquariumplants.com for plants.
love_fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2008, 01:58 AM   #14
Tim S
Planted Member

Magic Isle actually had CRS next to the amano shrimps. No price but they had a bunch. The quality of there fish isnt bad. I've only lost 1 neon durring a transfer to my tank. and my angels are doing fairly well, and all my amanos are doing great when I see them. Plants are ok, but you have to get them right after delivery, which is on Tuesdays I think?
Old 12-09-2008, 02:10 AM   #15
lopez_316us
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (22/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim S View Post
Magic Isle actually had CRS next to the amano shrimps. No price but they had a bunch. The quality of there fish isnt bad. I've only lost 1 neon durring a transfer to my tank. and my angels are doing fairly well, and all my amanos are doing great when I see them. Plants are ok, but you have to get them right after delivery, which is on Tuesdays I think?
+

Magic Isle where is located?
lopez_316us is offline   Reply With Quote