my old lights
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > Low Tech Forum

Old 10-31-2008, 12:17 AM   #1
dcc0011
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

my old lights

Ok. I'm a total noob to the planted tank seen. I need a little advice on lighting. I have some old GE fixtures with 15 watt aquerium bulbs in them. Do I need new fixtures to upscale my light? Or could I put some t5 bulbs in those old fixtures and brighten things up a little.

My spelling stinks, I know
dcc0011 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-31-2008, 12:28 AM   #2
moogoo
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (3/100%)
Send a message via AIM to moogoo

You will need to buy bulbs that will fit into the fixture. As far as wattage, you should not exceed the wattage the fixture is built for because doing so would create a fire hazard.
Old 10-31-2008, 12:29 AM   #3
epicfish
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (266/100%)

You will need new fixtures.
epicfish is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-31-2008, 01:11 AM   #4
PROLINKer
Algae Grower

I suggest you buy new ones because I think your old fixture are not really designed for high wattage bulbs.
PROLINKer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-31-2008, 01:13 AM   #5
dcc0011
Algae Grower

???....uh.....one yes, one no. hmmmm. Ok. thanks for your coments. Just a thaught, I don't want any responcibity in this but I was an Electrician for 5 years and that's an old trick. You put six new fixtures in someone's bacement then you put 90 watt bulbs in instead of the 60 watt that the fixture says is the max. Those ratings are generally over rated. Look for the UL (underwriters laboratorys) and that will tell you that it is way under rated. I wouldn't just go out and get aquerium light though would I? Don't they block out a spectrum that makes stuff grow? To reduce algea? Would any bulb that fits work? T5? A grow bulb maybe? Thank you for any info.
Old 10-31-2008, 01:16 AM   #6
eyebeatbadgers
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (62/100%)
Send a message via AIM to eyebeatbadgers

If your ballast will power T5 lights, then you should be able to wire it up. I'm no electrician, but I'd opt for a new fixture made for T5's. Just my humble opinion.

If it bursts into flames, PLEASE take pictures.

Thank you.
Old 10-31-2008, 01:26 AM   #7
dcc0011
Algae Grower

I am not familier with T5 at all. florecent lights give off less heat than incondecent (again I know my spelling stinks). Are they the same pin as fish tank lights? And I don't have ballasts, I have starters. If I could just put t5 in there that would be awsome! Eyebeatbadgers, your opinion is apreciated! I will take pics but I hope I get the PC out to post it. LoL. I would buy new fixtures if my girlfriend wouldn't get pissed cuz we don't need them. LoL. I've got 30 total watts right now. If I could just jump to 60 watts from t5s I think I would way more than double what I got now and be able to support some life.
Old 10-31-2008, 03:37 AM   #8
lauraleellbp
Fresh Fish Freak

PTrader: (69/100%)

I'm a little confused on whether or not your current fixture is a fluorescent fixture or an incandescent fixture, to begin with.

T5, T8, T12 are all straight fluorescent tube bulbs. T5s are the smallest in diameter, with T12s the largest. Shop light fixtures usually take T12 bulbs. Standard aquarium fluorescent fixtures usually take T8 bulbs. T5 bulbs are newer on the market. Since these bulbs are so much smaller in diameter they produce more usable light per watt than T8s, and I'm pretty sure that they won't fit in T8 fixtures, either (though I can't say I've ever tried to be sure...)

If you've got an incandescent fixture, then I'd recommend two U-shaped Compact Fluorescent bulbs, you can find those at www.lightbulbsdirect.com for pretty cheap.

How much light do you want? What's the rest of your tank setup like? Size, plants, what are your goals...

Do you want to set up a low light/ low tech setup, or do you want a high light CO2-injected setup?

Might be a good idea to spend some time at www.RexGrigg.com reading up on the differences between high and low light planted tanks.
Old 10-31-2008, 03:47 AM   #9
helgymatt
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (50/98%)

T5's will not work in any fixture that has starters. Fluorescents (linear T8, T5 & T12's) are very different from incandescent bulbs...They require a ballast to work. Incandescent just need to be plugged in to a socket (simplified I know). T5's need a ballast designed specially for them. Also the ratings for wattage on incandescent fixtures are for fire purposes. Fluoresecnts are too, but also so you don't burn out the ballast or ruin a bulb.

And I agree with Laura, you need to read up on planted tanks. There is much more to it than just lighting.

Lastly, learn how to use a spell-checker...
Old 10-31-2008, 02:09 PM   #10
dcc0011
Algae Grower

O.K. My bad. I forgot I replaced the old starter type because I needed new starters and couldn't find them. I have
CAT NO: IG 13-20 EL
(1) F14T8, F14T12, F15T8
(1) F15T12, F17T8, F18T8
(1) F20T8, F20T12, FT18W
or (1) FC8T9 (22W) Type 1 outdoor class P IG
inherent thermal protection

so FC8T9 (22W) is my best bet? If it is I would have to build a fixture.
I'm looking at a 25303 F18T12 HO bulb. I would just have to replace part of the fixture that way.

I'm looking to keep my powerheads and water well sand because I think it's the best thing since sliced bread. I would like to keep many rocks also. I just want to moss them up a little and put some plants in the rocks. And I want them to thrive! This will be my PT start. I have a 130 I'm gonna cut down to about 90 gal. and then I will go all out high teck with it. I want to toy with my 55 untill then.

I downloaded the spellcheck thing but I don't know how to use it.
thank you all for your help!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	my tank.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	69.7 KB
ID:	10399  

Old 10-31-2008, 02:44 PM   #11
Bugman
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (11/100%)

You can get some excellent advice here if you will just supply some more info. It is hard to make suggestions on lighting if we don't know some details. First is, what is your tank size? Hard to tell from the picture but is that a 55 gallon? If the picture is of the tank in question then a option for you might be to retrofit the hood which is much cheaper than buying a new fixture.
Bugman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.