Petsmart Cardinal Tetras - Page 2
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Fish

Old 10-28-2008, 11:38 PM   #16
CL
C-A-T-S

PTrader: (79/100%)

Cards are 4 bucks a pop here too. I got 10 neons for $1 one time at pet supermarket because they thought that they were feeder guppies. LOL

Old 10-28-2008, 11:49 PM   #17
Ebichua
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (82/100%)

Okay, so I went back to petsmart today to pick up 2 more. I really fell in love with the original 4 that I got so I had to get more to complete the school of 6. (Will be getting more in the future)

I asked if they were captive bred or wild caught. He answered, "There's a 14 day warranty on them."
It took me a while to process that, then I was like, "Wait a minute, that didn't answer my question..."
So I asked again, "No no, I mean, do you know if your supplier gets them wild caught or captive bred?"
He replies, "Oh, uhh... captive I think."

This is why, folks, that I don't ask Petsmart anything :-)

I did ask them if they have that "Captive bred only" policy. There is no such thing, to his knowledge.
Ebichua is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2008, 01:41 AM   #18
fishsandwitch
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (15/86%)

It is also not allways possible to know. You just order neon tetra most of time time.
Old 10-29-2008, 02:02 AM   #19
lauraleellbp
Fresh Fish Freak

PTrader: (70/100%)

Should have asked if he knows or can find out the name of the distributor that they order through. If it's Rehoboth then they're most likely wild-caught.
Tampa Bay Aquarium Society - Next meeting Monday, Sept 8, 2014 @ 7:15pm- See ya there!
TBAS Annual Fish Auction - November 1st!!

lauraleellbp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2008, 03:07 AM   #20
ZID ZULANDER
Shrimp Crazy

PTrader: (125/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by lauraleellbp View Post
Should have asked if he knows or can find out the name of the distributor that they order through. If it's Rehoboth then they're most likely wild-caught.
It is more likely that they are wild caught. The price alone should tell you that.
Canon Pimp Club #005
ZID ZULANDER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2008, 04:24 AM   #21
Ebichua
Wannabe Guru

4 dollars, wild caught? The price is high for cardinals, ma and pops sell them for much less. Around 2.99 a pop. It wouldn't make sense for a large corporation like them to have cardinals at a higher price. Unless they really are THAT oblivious to these things...
Old 10-29-2008, 05:22 AM   #22
lauraleellbp
Fresh Fish Freak

PTrader: (70/100%)

It's the "off" season now.
Tampa Bay Aquarium Society - Next meeting Monday, Sept 8, 2014 @ 7:15pm- See ya there!
TBAS Annual Fish Auction - November 1st!!

lauraleellbp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2008, 08:09 AM   #23
DiscusIt'sWhats4DinneR
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (9/100%)

i was there monday and there was no cardinals. it seems that everytime i have been there recently there have been none, and i have been to two stores.

i added a batch of 7 cardinals from petsmart to my shrimp tank about 2 weeks ago. i have 4 left, 3 presumably bailed out of the open topped tank and were never heard from again:/

these can be very expensive small fish.

while i was there on monday i picked up 18 columbian tetras. these have neat blue irridescense and nice bright red fins, much larger than the cardinals and large angels will not swallow them. they feed savagely, as you watch them it becomes very apparent that they are indeed close relatives to piranahs. im not sure how they are going to interact with the angelfish yet....
Old 10-29-2008, 08:26 AM   #24
Ebichua
Wannabe Guru

I was observing my new tetras just now. I found one with a small white dot on its fin...
No symptoms of ich except for this dot. I'm worried now, I bagged it up. Strange though, it was still schooling with the others and didn't scratch itself. Still has its nice colors and acted as if everything is fine.
Thank God I didn't dump petsmart water into my tank. I'm taking it back to replace it, hopefully the other tetras aren't infected yet. The other 5 that I have seem to be doing well though, no signs of ich. Knock on wood...

Sigh, this is what I get for shopping at petsmart.

All I ask is for a nice healthy school of cardinals to school for my young platinum angels to get accustomed to

Red, white and blueeeee
Old 10-29-2008, 08:33 AM   #25
Left C
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (19/100%)

My city has a new Pet Smart. I've bought 16 of the $4 Cardinal Tetras from them. I have had no problems.

The manager told me the Pet Smart is building their own fisheries.
EHEIM PIMP #164 Classic 2011, Classic 2213, Classic 2217, ECCO 2236, Pro II 2028, Liberty 2040, Liberty 2042
VICTOR PIMP #1 VTS253A-1993, VTS250B-580, VTS253D-320, HPT500-40-350-4M, SGT500-40-4F-DK
Left C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2008, 08:39 AM   #26
nikonD70s
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (16/100%)

i got mine at petsmart for $2 for one with a 25% discount awhile ago and none of them died all doing well...have them for about 6 months. i normally dont buy fish there but they had a good price on it. and i picked up 16 cory sterbai's there for 4.99 each.
nikonD70s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2008, 09:18 AM   #27
DiscusIt'sWhats4DinneR
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (9/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ebichua View Post
All I ask is for a nice healthy school of cardinals to school for my young platinum angels to get accustomed to

Red, white and blueeeee
toss em in while theyre young, otherwise you could have expensive snacks!

i have a group of 6 young angels that i will attempt to keep with a few cardinals. hopefully they dont take to eating them
Old 10-29-2008, 03:54 PM   #28
Ebichua
Wannabe Guru

Yep, I still got my platinums at a quarter size. The cardinals are pretty much the same size as them (body length) so I hope this helps "train" to becoming friends, not food.
Old 10-29-2008, 04:59 PM   #29
kotoeloncat
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (125/100%)

cardinals = friend not food

no no ! dont !!

cardinals = friend not food
Old 10-29-2008, 06:37 PM   #30
jaidexl
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (42/100%)

I would just keep the spotty tetra in QT to watch him, and medicate for ich if you have to. There's probably a greater chance of you bringing home ich that can't be seen yet, if you get a new fish. There's also a chance you'll need to medicate more (or all to be safe), so save yourself the trip, IMO.

I buy Petsmart/Petco fish sometimes, especially when they lack the label or proper ID (can get them for 99c a piece if they can't find it in "the book", which is a laugh to watch). I usually get every one of whatever species I am buying from them, to cover die offs, and I always QT their fish for at least two weeks. If you go in expecting the worst and are prepared for the QT, die offs, and any necessary medicating, it's not such a bad place. Just don't count dead bettas while you're in there, and don't buy them either, they shouldn't be in the betta biz.
jaidexl is offline   Reply With Quote