Petsmart Cardinal Tetras
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Fish

Old 10-28-2008, 10:41 AM   #1
Ebichua
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (82/100%)

Petsmart Cardinal Tetras

Anyone know their source for cardinals? Are they captive bred? They run for 4 bucks a pop here, which is quite pricey. But if it's captive, I think it's well-worth the purchase since they're hardier. I purchased 4 today, to test it out and they're doing good so far. I don't know if I'm just lucky or they really are just good specimens.

I don't normally go to Petsmart to buy fish too, but I have read in some posts that they suspect Petsmart to have captive bred cardinals. Anyone have more evidence of this?

Also, if you know a good place to get captives for less than 4 dollars each and have fair shipping prices, please tell me where! I'm interested in getting a dozen or so more.
Ebichua is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-28-2008, 12:01 PM   #2
spinycheek
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (0/0%)

Have you asked them directly. My guess is like most places, they just buy what's most available and cheap, so the source may vary with every new delivery. I've gotten neons and guppies from petsmart and they're still kickin a year and a half later.
Old 10-28-2008, 12:45 PM   #3
mistergreen
No more Bow ties

PTrader: (13/100%)

I think they have a captive bred policy. It probably came from asia.

I've seen them go for $8 each in some places so $4 is better.
mistergreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2008, 02:08 PM   #4
fishbguy1
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (40/98%)
Send a message via MSN to fishbguy1

We get captive cardinals at the lfs I work at for 2.99.

I've seen cardinals at p-mart for 4 bucks, never more, never less (I've seen them twice...lol)
Old 10-28-2008, 02:49 PM   #5
kotoeloncat
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (125/100%)

ouch, 4 bucks for cardinals ?

we can get them for $1 here in NYC
Old 10-28-2008, 03:29 PM   #6
Ebichua
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by kotoeloncat View Post
ouch, 4 bucks for cardinals ?

we can get them for $1 here in NYC
I was reading that in an older post. You sir, are a freaking tease.

But yes, 4 dollars a pop. I don't want to ask them anything, they don't usually know and sometimes even lie about stuff. Asking Petsmart is more of like a last resort to me.
Old 10-28-2008, 06:23 PM   #7
moogoo
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (3/100%)
Send a message via AIM to moogoo

they are $4 a pop here too. if you're buying a large quantity is cheaper to buy online...

not sure if they are captive bred but i've also never heard of them having a captive bred policy either. i would think they are wild caught considering how sensitive they are.
Old 10-28-2008, 06:30 PM   #8
plakat
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (8/100%)

I never heard of petsmart or petco having a captive bred policy. If the fins on most of the cardinals in the tank are damaged its a good sign that they are wild caught but its not 100%. The price flux could also be dependent on availability seeing how there seems to be a limited nimber of breeders and the fact that these fish are seasonal.
Old 10-28-2008, 07:39 PM   #9
Stevie D
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (2/75%)

I bought 3 from petsmart to replace a few wild ones that i bought a little while ago. Within 3 days my whole discus tank was filled with ich. I took care of it, but still, it figures. Those 3 did all survive though.

Stevie D
Stevie D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2008, 07:44 PM   #10
Ebichua
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stevie D View Post
I bought 3 from petsmart to replace a few wild ones that i bought a little while ago. Within 3 days my whole discus tank was filled with ich. I took care of it, but still, it figures. Those 3 did all survive though.

Stevie D
Petsmart runs a connected filter, one tank sick = all tank sick. That's why I'm VERY wary about buying fish there. I always check every single tank first. Which really, is kind of sad, if you think about it.
In any case, the 4 cardinals I got look really great right now. Schooling together quite tightly. They were eating just fine last night too. So far, so good :-) no signs of illness or stress.
I will have to check that fin damage thing...
Old 10-28-2008, 08:02 PM   #11
rasetsu
Planted Tank Obsessed

I've had excellent luck with Petsmart cardinals. The price has actually dropped recently from $4.39 to $3.99. I rarely have any die after acclimation unlike some I've bought from the LFS and they have never infected any of my other fish with anything. They are still sensitive in that they are the first to get wiped out at any hint of a parasite or bacteria in the water though. Petsmart also has a very lenient 14 day guarantee.
rasetsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2008, 09:12 PM   #12
MikeP_123
Planted Tank Enthusiast

$4 bucks for a cardinal!!!!!! You guys are getting ripped!!! We get them $.99 here and when they are on sale $.66. Same as the neons. I did read that one of two (Neons or cardinals) is never bread in mass due to the fact that they are so abundant in the wild there is no need.

$4.00!!!! Geez!
MikeP_123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2008, 10:00 PM   #13
fishsandwitch
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (15/86%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeP_123 View Post
$4 bucks for a cardinal!!!!!! You guys are getting ripped!!! We get them $.99 here and when they are on sale $.66. Same as the neons. I did read that one of two (Neons or cardinals) is never bread in mass due to the fact that they are so abundant in the wild there is no need.

$4.00!!!! Geez!
You live in florida and probbably your LFS buys direct from a farm.

Because I work at a fish store and .66 cents is less than wholesale
Old 10-28-2008, 10:05 PM   #14
rasetsu
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:

$4.00!!!! Geez!
No, we aren't getting ripped that much. It's more like you are lucky due to location. Petsmart is more expensive, but even the LFS price them at $2.99 each and no less than $1.99 if you bargain or buy a whole bunch. With the high success rate I've had and the 14 day gurantee, Petsmart can be worth it.
rasetsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2008, 11:01 PM   #15
ZID ZULANDER
Shrimp Crazy

PTrader: (125/100%)

Quote:

$4.00!!!! Geez!
The main reason that these fish are so cheap is because of the area that you live in. Most if not all of the fish that come into this country come in through Fl. Plus it costs less to land a fish there than it does else where again because of costs. I wish that they were that price. I purchase from a major wholesale outlet here in L.A. CA. and they have cardinals starting at $1.71 when you buy 50 you can get them for $1.29 each. And remember thats wholesale to a LFS.
Canon Pimp Club #005
ZID ZULANDER is offline   Reply With Quote