how to lower KH safely
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Fertilizers and Water Parameters

Old 05-12-2004, 03:35 AM   #1
nailed
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

I want to keep some discus in my 75 gallon planted tank. Iím trying to figure out how to lower my KH and GH. My GH is at 12 and KH at 9. I know I will need to remove most of my plants and up my filter to a wet/dry sump.

I would go at an RO unit but I have well water and it would clog right up.

I had thought of getting some 1 gallon water bottles and filling the tank that way. I think I could go 50 / 50 or 25 / 75 mix. Iím going to get a gallon next week and mix it and test it to see how much well to how much bottled water.

None of my friends will sell me there RO water and the LFS charge out the ass for it.

From what I have read and form talking to a lot of people it looks like my PH should be 6.5 to 7.0 and my KH should be about 3. I would be using peat and will be getting a sump.
http://www.aquariacentral.com/forums...threadid=27100
nailed is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-12-2004, 04:31 PM   #2
malkore
Planted Tank Guru

R/O water is really your only choice. discus need softwater, so pH decreases won't be an option (nor would i ever recommend them in the first place, for anyone).

Your well water is only 1 degree harder than my tap water (both in Gh and Kh), and I know plenty of people here that run R/O units without problems.
I suggest eBay for inexpensive, small R/O units.
Filstar XP2 PIMP #3
Visit my aquarium pages - see specs on my tanks, and photos of how they've evolved
malkore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2004, 09:43 PM   #3
anonapersona
Wannabe Guru

Hold on there!

Are you talking about RAISING discus or BREEDING discus?

Growing a discus is best done in harder water. Breeding requires softer water.

Lots of people grow beautiful discus in water with much higher GH and KH than that.

OTOH, breeding will require RO water and/or peat filtration in order to hatch the eggs. After that, back to tap water.

You might try SimplyDiscus and DAAH forums for more discus info.
anonapersona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2004, 09:45 PM   #4
anonapersona
Wannabe Guru

Oh, and you will need to get adult discus to add to a planted tank, they are very hard to feed properly in a planted tank, too much food escapes into the gravel and pollutes the water, sickening the discus. Adult discus do not need as much food for growth.
anonapersona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2004, 04:04 AM   #5
nailed
Algae Grower

From what I had read they do best in water thatís about 3 to 5 for the GH and the KH. There colors are brighter in the softer water. Itís just something I have been thinking of doing soon but it looks like it will be down the road a way.
nailed is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
lower kh