Need help with pumps for EI dosing
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > General Planted Tank Discussion

Old 10-25-2008, 11:46 PM   #1
@marko@
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (57/100%)

Need help with pumps for EI dosing

im planning on using EI on my 20L when i redo it. however, im not around every day to dose, so i would like to make an automatic dosing system. i have a few questions.
-can any of the macros be mixed together, or will they bond?
-which pump do you guys suggest? i heard of something called a aqualifter used on some reefs for auto top-off; would this do?
-where do you get your dry fertz from? i use seachem now, but with EI, i keep hearing that pricewise it just makes more sense to use dry.
-any other help you can give me?

Old 10-26-2008, 01:57 AM   #2
bradac56
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (8/100%)
Send a message via AIM to bradac56 Send a message via MSN to bradac56 Send a message via Yahoo to bradac56 Send a message via Skype™ to bradac56

Quote:
Originally Posted by @marko@ View Post
-where do you get your dry fertz from? i use seachem now, but with EI, i keep hearing that pricewise it just makes more sense to use dry.
[ http://www.aquariumfertilizer.com ] I just got my shipment in for $37.50
including shipping.

Potassium Sulfate (1lb)
Potassium Nitrate (1lb)
Mono Potassium Phosphate (1lb)
Magnesium Sulfate (1lb)
CSM+B Plantex (1lb)

I'm using PPS-Pro but you git the drift, it's *much* cheaper than buying
pre-mixed liquids and lasts twice as long.

- Brad
bradac56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2008, 02:00 AM   #3
epicfish
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (266/100%)

Quote:
im planning on using EI on my 20L when i redo it. however, im not around every day to dose, so i would like to make an automatic dosing system. i have a few questions.
-can any of the macros be mixed together, or will they bond?
-which pump do you guys suggest? i heard of something called a aqualifter used on some reefs for auto top-off; would this do?
-any other help you can give me?
1) You can mix macros together.
2) You can use an Aqualifter or more precise peristaltic dosing pumps, which I recommend for long-term solutions. The peace of mind of a constant dosing volume will be worth the money in the long run.
3) www.aquariumfertilizers.com or Rex Grigg if he's back.

Just have one bucket of NPK and one of micros. Mix up 3-4 gallons of each, calculating how much you need of each fertilizer. Calculate how long each pump has to run to dose the correct amounts, and you're set. Peristaltic pumps will have a more consistent dosing rate than the aqualifter.

Check out the bottom half of this for more information: http://bharada.com/aquaria_hardware.html
epicfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2008, 02:03 AM   #4
@marko@
Planted Tank Guru

so you suggest buying the PMMD pre mix and then a KH2PO4? that would work, plust then maybe some additional flourish in one of them to add some micros depending on what is in that CSM+B.
now do you know if these will bond with each other if mixed?
Old 10-26-2008, 02:05 AM   #5
epicfish
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
so you suggest buying the PMMD pre mix and then a KH2PO4? that would work, plust then maybe some additional flourish in one of them to add some micros depending on what is in that CSM+B.
now do you know if these will bond with each other if mixed?
Who is this question directed to?

I'd just buy KNO3, KH2PO4, K2SO4, calculate dry weights, add to water.

Then get some Planted CSM+B and calculate that weight, add to a separate bucket. You could also use TMG and dilute accordingly.

Then dose EI.
Old 10-26-2008, 02:13 AM   #6
@marko@
Planted Tank Guru

anybody with an answer.

ok, so one container with all the macros (KNO3, KH2PO4, K2SO4), and then a seperate container for the CSM+B (this is micros?), right?
just want to be sure.

now i havent used, EI yet, so could you give me a link to how much to add and how often? or explain it here, but im assuming its a huge-a** article, since so many question pop up about it all the time.
Old 10-26-2008, 02:15 AM   #7
epicfish
Planted Tank Guru

http://www.aquaticplantcentral.com/f...ad.php?t=15225
Old 10-26-2008, 02:18 AM   #8
@marko@
Planted Tank Guru

thanks. you just made my day.
i thought i was look at 4 buckets, now you tell me 2. and give me the EI link.
im off to read the huge-a** article.
Old 10-26-2008, 02:19 AM   #9
epicfish
Planted Tank Guru

Big?

Quote:
EI target ranges
CO2 range 25-30 ppm
NO3 range 5-30 ppm
K+ range 10-30 ppm
PO4 range 1.0-2.0 ppm
Fe 0.2-0.5ppm or higher
GH range 3-5 degrees ~ 50ppm or higher
KH range 3-5
How big is your tank? They did the calculators for you too.
Old 10-26-2008, 02:29 AM   #10
@marko@
Planted Tank Guru

???
i never used the word big.
its gonna be on my 20L when i redo it in a few weeks.
yeah, but i was hoping to avoid constant testing. especially K since i dont have a K test. im in the general range, but 20 is the border. im thinking about taking the average of the 10-20 gal values and 20-40 gal values. since its EI, an excess is the norm, right?

now i see that they say that the K2SO4 is only needed if you are low in K, and then the same amount as the KH2PO4. what do you think about simply putting 1/2 as much K2SO4 as KH2PO4 right off the bat?

oh, and will the fact that i use tap not RO have an affect? i have an RO/DI for my reef, but buckets for a 20 gallon would not make me happy.
Old 10-26-2008, 02:33 AM   #11
epicfish
Planted Tank Guru

I'd only mix together KH2PO4, KNO3 to start with.

And use two 5g buckets with RODI water mixed with the fertilizers (NPK and micros). They'd sit by your tank and would last one heckuva long time.
Old 10-26-2008, 02:43 AM   #12
@marko@
Planted Tank Guru

oh ok. and then i will see if the plants show any signs of K defficiency.

yeah, im definately using RODI for the fert buckets, tap is for the tank WC.

now im really excited about doing this. lol
this will be so much easier than what im doing now, and hopefully better for the plants. not to mention that the fertz will be cheaper.
Old 10-26-2008, 06:14 AM   #13
fishscale
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (12/100%)

Don't get too excited; wait till you see the prices on peristaltic pumps. I'd like to do this one day, when I'm a rich doctor-lawyer-ibanker-cliche. On second thought, who wants to rob a bank?
Eheim Pimp #254, Eheim Wolverine #1

55 Gallon Work in progress
10 Gallon Shrimp Tank
10 Gallon Planted QT
20 Gallon Shrimp Tank (Work in progress)

fishscale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2008, 06:18 AM   #14
epicfish
Planted Tank Guru

Fixed flow, runs on AC: http://www.aptinstruments.com/Mercha...ory_Code=SP100

Variable flow, depending on the voltage (DC): http://www.aptinstruments.com/Mercha...ory_Code=SP100

$63 a pop. Not too bad.

Alternatively, look for Kangaroo dosing pumps on eBay.
Old 10-26-2008, 07:04 AM   #15
Complexity
Pelvicachromis Lover!

PTrader: (34/100%)

Quote:
yeah, but i was hoping to avoid constant testing. especially K since i dont have a K test. im in the general range, but 20 is the border. im thinking about taking the average of the 10-20 gal values and 20-40 gal values. since its EI, an excess is the norm, right?

now i see that they say that the K2SO4 is only needed if you are low in K, and then the same amount as the KH2PO4. what do you think about simply putting 1/2 as much K2SO4 as KH2PO4 right off the bat?
Marko, at first it seems all technical and specific, but once you start doing it, it's nothing at all, really. I have never tested any of my ferts. It's not needed.

Look at the chart for the amounts to dose. Since your tank is in between two dosing levels, use the lower one if you have fewer plants and the higher one if you have a lot of plants. Notice that every measurement has a +/- before it which means give or take. You don't have to be exactly precise. No need to average them. Simply stick the ferts in your tank on the appropriate days (using either your physical self or an auto doser). Walk away. And be amazed at how well the plants grow. It's truly that easy.

I dose K2SO4, KNO3 and KH2PO4 (macros) on sat/mon/wed. I dose CSM+B (trace) on sun/tues/thur. Nothing on Friday. 50% water change on Saturday before starting the dosing cycle again.

If you do that, you'll be fine. No testing at all. For me, it's as simple as opening up my fert bags, using a measuring spoon, and dumping it into my tank. Done. Okay, I'll admit that I like to sprinkle it across the tank, but that's just me.

You'll obviously need to create a liquid solution to dose automatically, but the basics are still the same. Just dump the ferts in and walk away.
Vicki Rena Filstar pimp #142 (four XP4s/three XP2s/one XP1) Eheim pimp #301 (Pro II 2128) Victor pimp #27 (VTS-253B-320)

90g - Journal Pelvicachromis taeniatus 'Moliwe' 75g - Journal Pelvicachromis pulcher 'Lagos Red' Better Pics 8-24
29g - Journal Pelvicachromis pulcher 'unknown' -- 29g - Pelvicachromis taeniatus 'Moliwe'
5g - RCS colony 2.5g - Journal Retired
Complexity is offline   Reply With Quote