A picture of Dario (Show yours here!) - Page 3
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > Tank Journals

Old 10-24-2008, 08:02 AM   #31
Asgard
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Basilisk View Post
Nice couple of tanks.
Thanks
Quote:
So, did they spawn in your tank, or are you calling the smallest ones fry?
Yes they've spawned in my tank, the fry (on picture, not so small anymore) is posted my first picture post. The smaller dario on the last picture post is not fry, but just as old as the bigger ones in the bigger tank to show that smaller tank size? prohibits growth? feeding regime is the same.
Quote:
They don't seem to care about the shrimp in the last two pictures. Mine would rip them. I guess I'm not feeding frequently enough, what's your schedule?
They don't care (anymore), they've have tried though, for a week or so, but couldn't catch adult shrimp, after being frustrated (bad tempered) they've given up on adult shrimp completely. I have berried shrimp, but never see any shrimplets, so I think the shrimplets are still being catched out of the moss. The dario's in the beginning were also very frustrated with the galaxies getting into 'their' territories, tried to chase (attack) them, but the galaxies are far to fast, can do a 360 on the spot, so the dario's have given up on chasing galaxies too. The only fish which are still a little bothered are the sewellia's, sometimes they rest on a spot claimed by a dario, then they get picked at (eyes are a favorite spot), but then they just move over an inch, or do a tail sweep, and the dario gets the point. Bugger off!
I feed daily (mostly twice), some live food such as white or red mosquito, tubifex or daphnia. I live next to water (almost impossible not to, in my country) so in summertime I can catch my own dapnia or black/white mosquito larvae.

btw, I'm out of "attachment" space, how (otherwise) do I upload pictures without placing them on a photo-site first?
Asgard is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-24-2008, 08:40 AM   #32
waterfaller1
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (70/100%)
Send a message via AIM to waterfaller1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asgard View Post

btw, I'm out of "attachment" space, how (otherwise) do I upload pictures without placing them on a photo-site first?
I don't think you can. I use Photobucket. If you are using a free site such as this and have too many files, you can delete some, upgrade your account to pay, or find another free site.
waterfaller1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2009, 02:09 AM   #33
Basilisk
Planted Member

Haven't been active for a while. My darios did fine, the three survivors lived fine for months. Two of them developed black blotches on their flanks. I was lazy to take pictures, which I regret since they died. Only one of the original six remains, but acquired fin rot in its tail, likely due to their constant nipping. I'll try melafix for that.

So, after seeking for more, finally found them. Bought ten, only to see a eight deaths along a week. I think these fish can't handle abuse in transport, typically one expects 50% deaths here. Really sad.

Now, the pictures.

I really like the way this one shows the dorsal fin.

This picture quite shows the change in the shape of the head as these fish mature.

Fin rot on the older guy's tail.

Cheers.
Old 07-27-2009, 03:14 AM   #34
Neoman
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (1/100%)

Just recently got some of these guys, they're awesome. Question... are all the females white? I have one thats a bit smaller than the rest and is all gray and im not sure if its just a male that hasn't matured yet or a female.
Old 07-27-2009, 04:45 AM   #35
Basilisk
Planted Member

I ain't sure, they're supposed to show only the faintest indication of stripes, in grey or a pale reddish, at most, without the blue iridiscence. However, I recently read somewhere of a brood among all red striped fish, suggesting that some females might look masculine, perhaps one of the less usual forms of crypsis.
Old 07-27-2009, 03:28 PM   #36
Frenchie
Algae Grower

PTrader: (1/100%)

Awesome pics. These are some of my favorite fish, unfortunatly I cannot find them anywhere around my area anymore.
Frenchie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2009, 04:34 PM   #37
waterfaller1
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frenchie View Post
Awesome pics. These are some of my favorite fish, unfortunatly I cannot find them anywhere around my area anymore.
Contact Milalic-{Pedro} at Invertz Factory{our sponsor}, he will have some ready soon.

Where have you been hiding Basilisk?
Old 07-27-2009, 05:49 PM   #38
rich815
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (34/100%)

Twice now mine have only lasted a few months. I think it's due to them being too shy at feeding time and not really taking pellets or flake mostly prefering worms (which I do feed 2-3x a week). I do not think they get enough to eat! I try to direct the worms to them with a turkey baster and they seem to eat but in less than a month or two they die or simply disappear (and no I have no big fish that would or could eat them).

First time was 2 males in a heavily planted 72 gal, second time a pair in a decently planted 60P. Too expensive to try again. Oh well.
My Photography Website (my other hobby)
http://www.lightshadowandtone.com
rich815 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2009, 06:52 PM   #39
waterfaller1
Planted Tank Guru

I have had mine since last year, and some from the year before. I alternate feedings between live grindal worms, and frozen Hikari bloodworms. They never miss a meal. I did lose two over the course, but still have the other 8. The tank was reset as a smaller tank, that's when I lost a few fish. I think it had a mini cycle.
Old 07-27-2009, 09:36 PM   #40
Basilisk
Planted Member

Hey Carole! I've been busy with my stuff, school, work, field trips... I just cut down on the forum. I'll be coming back more often.

As for the feeding, I found them to be quite independent in their species tank. I used to worry about keeping a supply of live food, but later I caught them consistently chomping on snail egg bundles. I left them once for over a month on snail eggs only, they did more than OK.

Mosquito larvae are my favourite choice. They're free and I don't have to worry about them once in the tank. They also seem easier for them to chew and swallow than brine shrimp.
Basilisk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2009, 09:57 PM   #41
DarrylR
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (43/100%)

I love my dario dario too . Do you happen to have any pictures of female dario dario, I think some of mine are female but than I see pictures saying not X_X. Also very envious people got there to spawn.. I recently upped the temperature and added almond leaves.

heres my thread -- I recently lost one to cloudy eye and she just became so weak she wouldnt eat and was very lethargic .

http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/ta...o-dario-2.html

DarrylR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2009, 11:03 PM   #42
monkeyruler90
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (64/100%)
Send a message via AIM to monkeyruler90

yeah. he has some available. at a good price too
Fluval pimp #4 aka PIMP master!
I SAID ITS GREAT
TO BE

A FLORIDA GATOR!!

40 gallon LED fixture
monkeyruler90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 04:44 AM   #43
minicrazy592
Algae Grower

PTrader: (2/100%)
Send a message via Skype™ to minicrazy592

Bumperoo

Old 11-30-2012, 07:06 AM   #44
ikuzo
Planted Tank Guru

Send a message via Yahoo to ikuzo

old dario of mine
hard to find these days

Old 11-30-2012, 01:21 PM   #45
Chaoslord
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (13/100%)

Attachment 58010

Attachment 58011

Attachment 58012

Attachment 58013
Here's a couple of my favorite pics.

Last edited by Chaoslord; 06-14-2013 at 08:28 PM..
Chaoslord is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
badis, dario