Karackle's guppy/endler experiment RIP - taken down in preparation for moving - Page 3
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Fish

Old 10-30-2008, 03:28 AM   #31
Karackle
Woah, I'm a Guru?!

PTrader: (16/100%)

hahahaha yeah i just reread it......it didn't make a lot of sense....oops!

Let's see if I can make some sense of it...

So i have some 12 day old fry in the rearing tank at the moment, which is why i was thinking of doing the mating in one of the main tanks, would it be ok to put the females and male in the rearing tank with the babies instead? or would it be best to set up a second mating/rearing tank?

I hope that makes more sense....does it?
I enjoy having a zoo to care for!
20gH Planted tank,5g Planted Betta Tank
Karackle is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-30-2008, 05:25 PM   #32
Complexity
Pelvicachromis Lover!

PTrader: (34/100%)

I wouldn't put the pair in the rearing tank with such young fry. They may not eat them, but as LL said... if it moves, it's dinnertime!

Males can harass a female to death so don't put more than one male with a female. It's usually better to have a 3:1 ratio of 3 females to every male. But if you don't leave them together too long, one on one should work fine. Just keep an eye on things, and if the female is clearly having problems from the male's advances, move the male.

Basically, guppy/endler "breeding" goes like this: Get female. Get male. Put them together for 2 seconds. Breeding completed!

Point being is that guppies and endlers breed like crazy. The males will do everything they can go breed with the female. And even with the female trying to get away from the male, the males will sneak up and try to breed with the females.

I'd leave them together for a day or two. Then put them in their own tanks again. Watch the female. She should grow increasingly larger until she drops her fry in a month.

If, by some odd chance, the female did not get pregnant, then give it another try. But, honestly, these fish aren't called "millions fish" without reason.
Vicki Rena Filstar pimp #142 (four XP4s/three XP2s/one XP1) Eheim pimp #301 (Pro II 2128) Victor pimp #27 (VTS-253B-320)

90g - Journal Pelvicachromis taeniatus 'Moliwe' 75g - Journal Pelvicachromis pulcher 'Lagos Red' Better Pics 8-24
29g - Journal Pelvicachromis pulcher 'unknown' -- 29g - Pelvicachromis taeniatus 'Moliwe'
5g - RCS colony 2.5g - Journal Retired
Complexity is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-30-2008, 05:43 PM   #33
Karackle
Woah, I'm a Guru?!

Hahahaha yes, i suppose they wouldn't get the nickname millions fish for nothing! That's a good point about the harassment issue, i've notice the males all trying to mate with each other in the 30g. They have a serious sex drive! Again, millions fish nickname is not for naught.

I definitely have enough females to do an 2:1 or 3:1 f:m ratio, i'm actually more worried about water quality since I don't have room to set up a very large tank for mating, and currently the only free QT tank i have is only about 1-1.5g. Again, one of the reasons I was thinking about doing the mating in my main tanks instead, but then that gets risky disease control-wise and whatnot. I'm still carless or I'd run out and see what i could find for another tank today! (Can you tell i'm excited to get started on a hybrid generation? ) Maybe I'll make my boyfriend drive me to the store this weekend.....he did say he wanted to get a couple more fish for his tank....I can make room certainly for another 2.5g and possibly a 5.

heeheehee
Old 10-30-2008, 06:00 PM   #34
Complexity
Pelvicachromis Lover!

Go to Walmart and get a 10g for $9.99. Add an inexpensive filter. I found one recently for $13 shipped on eBay from a reputable seller.

That's all you need. Try to stay away from the 2.5g or 5g as they don't have the space you need; plus, they're usually more expensive than the cheap 10g tanks at Walmart.
Vicki Rena Filstar pimp #142 (four XP4s/three XP2s/one XP1) Eheim pimp #301 (Pro II 2128) Victor pimp #27 (VTS-253B-320)

90g - Journal Pelvicachromis taeniatus 'Moliwe' 75g - Journal Pelvicachromis pulcher 'Lagos Red' Better Pics 8-24
29g - Journal Pelvicachromis pulcher 'unknown' -- 29g - Pelvicachromis taeniatus 'Moliwe'
Old 10-30-2008, 06:08 PM   #35
Karackle
Woah, I'm a Guru?!

It's more of a space issue, but I think I found a spot....it's kind of low to the ground and getting some light in there will be tricky, but you are definitely right that the 10gals are cheaper than the 5s! For my birthday a few years ago I was really wanting a fish tank so my friend bought me a 5gallon tank and supplies (we both worked at a pet store so it was pretty cheap with our discount) And then a few months later she called me up and was like "did you know 10 gallon tanks cost less than 5 gallon tanks?" and i was like "yeah, weird right?" and she said "i bought you the 5 because I thought it was the cheapest! I would have gotten you the bigger 10 if i'd known!" hahahahaha

that's my random anecdote

But anyway as soon as I can get a ride, I'll see what I can find that a) i have room for and b) i can afford
Old 10-30-2008, 07:05 PM   #36
Complexity
Pelvicachromis Lover!

I have sat tanks directly on the floor when I'm using them for specific purposes. Right now, I have 7 tanks on the floor at my house because they're going to hold my fish during the move. Then I'll break them down. When I need a tank for Q/T or whatever, I can quickly set one up again. It's very easy when you do it this way. But you have to have the floor space to start with which can be a problem.

Old 10-30-2008, 07:21 PM   #37
Karackle
Woah, I'm a Guru?!

Well that's good to know! I have floor space, and I have space on the bottom shelf of a book case, so I'm thinking either space will work. I realized that I even have a 10g glass canopy, so I won't have to worry about the dogs trying to get a drink....or a snack! Half of it is on my 20g at the moment, but maybe this will be my incentive to do the gravel switch on my 20g that i've been planning to do, because I plan on moving the 20g away from the wall when i do the gravel switch so the HOB can actually hang on the back instead of the side and I can set up a proper glass canopy instead of the back half of a 10g plus a plexiglass front half that i rigged together myself this should also get that filter end of the tank out of the shadows a bit which would be good. Anyway....enough of my digression there lol. All in all, I think i have room for a 10g and could set it up at a pretty low cost.
Old 10-30-2008, 07:30 PM   #38
Complexity
Pelvicachromis Lover!

LOL! I can just see the gears turning in your head!

Looks like you've got it figured out. Can't wait to see the fry you get with your breeding!

Old 10-30-2008, 07:47 PM   #39
Karackle
Woah, I'm a Guru?!

hahahaha i think i can FEEL the gears turning in my head!

Thanks! I can't wait to see them either! I'm also excited to see what colors my current fry develop into, i know mom has a leopard tail, but who knows what dad was!
Old 10-30-2008, 08:04 PM   #40
Complexity
Pelvicachromis Lover!

I think you may be surprised when your fry grow up.

I have a half blonde female that I bought pregnant. All of her fry were identical to her so it appeared she breed with a half blonde male.

And then I have the female endler which, of course, is very plane.

Now, take the male offspring from the half blonde female and let them breed with those two females. What did I get?

I have leopard males! And some kind of iridescent males (my favorites). Some half blond males, of course. As far as female fry, I got some more half blondes, as well as some blondes without the black (or extremely faded black). I have some females that have the plain body and smaller body shape, but they have traces of color on their fins. Some of them have faded colored leopard spots on the top and bottom of their tails with the middles being clear.

Don't even begin to ask me how the leopards arrived! But I got 3 of them with the exact same patterns and tail shapes.

Obviously, I don't know what produced my female endler so she may be a hybrid with a leopard or something and just not show it.

I love how some of the fry have been complete surprises. I'm thinking of mating my females with another, completely unrelated male to see what I get. Or I might get a male endler. That ought to be fun!

So unless you know what parents created the fish you have, you may end up with colors and patterns you never expected... which is the best part of it all.

Old 10-30-2008, 09:09 PM   #41
Karackle
Woah, I'm a Guru?!

Yeah that's definitely part of the reason I'm so excited to see how the babies grow up! I know what mom looks like, but who knows what the dad looked like! And who knows what mom's parents looked like, or dad's for that matter. They're from a LFS mixed tank so I'm sure the genetics are all over the place! The endlers from a blackbar / peacock mixed tank so they should only show endler traits, but i'm excited to see what my various colored male guppies' genes do when mixed with the female endlers! I'll wait on mating male endlers with female guppies until round 2 when hopefully i'll have a few virgin females from my current batch fry. I currently only have the 1 female guppy.

I saw a couple beautiful female guppies at the fish store the other day, I really wanted them but just didn't think i'd have the space. They were both sort of drab looking (like endler females) on first glance but when the light caught them right, their fins were an iridescent shimmery pink and blue! it took a lot of control for me not to buy them!
Old 10-30-2008, 11:31 PM   #42
Complexity
Pelvicachromis Lover!

I want a blue male guppy. I'd love a blue that's not so dark that it's black, but not so pastel that you can't tell it's blue! I've seen a couple, but wasn't in position to do a Q/T so I had to pass them up. Given how many guppies there are in the world (millions and millions! ), I figure I'll get a blue one some day.

Old 10-30-2008, 11:55 PM   #43
Karackle
Woah, I'm a Guru?!

hahahah i'm sure you'll find one too! And i'll keep an eye out for any blues that might somehow magically crop up in my stocks! (probably not since my guppies are yellow and red mostly but you never know! )

Sooo i was staring at my 20g today and apparently a moss covered piece of driftwood is the key to baby survival....apparently the young male i pulled out of my 20g (he was colorless when he arrived and somehow went unnoticed as a male) got pulled out too late and i have babies in the 20 now too! I only saw 2 so i think the bettas and my very large neons and glolights helped with population control....but that means my older endlers are not in fact virgins like i thought. Sigh. Some of them are definitely not pregnant though because they were all quite young, so the smaller ones should still be virgins. I guess for my purposes of doing this purely for my own enjoyment it doesn't matter overly much if I start with virgins. I think it should be fairly obvious if the offspring are hybrids or not. The question now is what do i do with the babies? Leave them in the 20? put them in with the guppy babies? SO MANY BABIES! not quite what i'd planned but fun all the same!
Old 10-31-2008, 05:32 AM   #44
Complexity
Pelvicachromis Lover!

LOL! Now you know why they're called millions fish!

I finally had to let nature take its course. If I tried to save every one of my fry, I'd have hundreds of them by now.

There are no virgin guppies. As soon as they are old enough to determine their gender, they're already pregnant. All you can do is separate the males and females and let the females keep dropping their fry until they finally stop. But as my one little guppy fry shows, even after 9 months without a male, the females can still drop fry.

BTW, my little guppy fry is still doing well! I guess he figured out how to master the art of hiding so he's not eaten.

Old 10-31-2008, 06:00 AM   #45
Karackle
Woah, I'm a Guru?!

hahaha yeah, millions fish for sure! I tried for a minute or two to catch them but they were hiding too well in the moss, i think there's only 2, maybe 3 so they'll have to fight for themselves :-P Glad to hear your little guy is still going strong!

Tags
breeding fish, breeding hybrids

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.