Moving tank
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > General Planted Tank Discussion

Old 05-08-2004, 04:47 AM   #1
ming
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (1/100%)
Send a message via AIM to ming Send a message via MSN to ming

I'm most likely going to be moving a block from where I currently live in about 2 months and wondering if I could empty all the water out of my 29 gallon tank but keep the gravel and plants in place during the moving? Would that be too much stress on the tank which could cause it to break? I have 30lbs of flourite in the tank and theres probably going to be about 3 or so gallons of water within the gravel. I'll bring the hood and driftwood stuff seperately but was wondering if the tank will be ok. I really dont want to redo my whole tank because of the amount of time it'll take. I'm only moving 1 block away. And also, what would be the best way to keep my tank cycled? I plan to keep about 10 gallons of the original water in a bucket and obviously not going to wash the filter so I can keep as much of the bacteria alive. Will my fish be able to go in after the transportation or will I have to wait for things to settle or what? I just want to be as prepared as I can.
TIA

10G, 2x13W PC AH retrofit, Hagen CO2 Taken down
29G, 1x55W PC AH retrofit, Flourite, DIY CO2 Taken down
10G, 2x10W PC Walmart Screw-ins Cherry Shrimp Tank
29G, 2x65W PC Coralife, Flourite Taken down
2.5G, 2x10W PC Walmart Screw-in Taken down

75G, 2x54W T5, 90lbs Flourite

http://www.mings.info
ming is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-08-2004, 11:04 AM   #2
SueNH
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (2/100%)

I'd take most of it out. If it doesn't break it outright it may weaken seams.
Suppose somebody had to hit the brakes hard?
Play it safe.
SueNH is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-08-2004, 04:24 PM   #3
Aquaman
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)

You should be ok since it is a short distance. You tank will remain in cycle as long as you dont wash the gravel and filter out. a little water in the bottom will keep the bacteria in the there alive. Dont try to move it while moving your other stuff, Ive broken 2 tanks this way with "helpful" friends and stuff sliding in the tank. Either move it before or after all your other things.
Aquaman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-08-2004, 06:40 PM   #4
ming
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aquaman
You should be ok since it is a short distance. You tank will remain in cycle as long as you dont wash the gravel and filter out. a little water in the bottom will keep the bacteria in the there alive. Dont try to move it while moving your other stuff, Ive broken 2 tanks this way with "helpful" friends and stuff sliding in the tank. Either move it before or after all your other things.
Yeah, thats exactly what I was thinking, just that I wanted someone to agree with me. I was probably going to move it first because after all the tank and water carrying, I'll probably be tired and want to rest a bit :lol:

Old 05-08-2004, 10:42 PM   #5
amanda huggenkiss
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (0/0%)

I've done a short-distance tank move like that too. About 3-4 years ago I moved a couple blocks over. Drained all the water into containers (buckets bought & cleaned specifically for this job), put the fish in one & the plants in another, kept the substrate in the tank with just enough water to keep it wet, & moved the works to the new apartment, then put it all back together. Took about 2 hours. No problems.

It'll be fine.

Quote:
I was probably going to move it first because after all the tank and water carrying, I'll probably be tired and want to rest a bit
Don't forget, you'll want to be able to take your time & set it all up properly too! Ahhhh, moving's such a joy :roll:

wannacomewith.com
amanda huggenkiss is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-09-2004, 01:41 PM   #6
Buck
Planted Tank VIP

PTrader: (3/100%)

When you are awakened at 3 AM in the morning to the sound of running water from a cracked tank you will never consider moving any tanks in this fashion. They are designed to hold weight when perfectly level and setup... not to hold the weight while being twisted.

You are braver then me if you do this because I was the one who woke up at 3AM to a cracked tank...and when I moved mine it was empty.
How old is the tank ? Age has a lot to to with this as well.

But seriously, Its only a 29 gallon... how hard would it be to empty it ? Plants in one bucket and gravel in another and then there is less chance of mishap. Coolers work well too.
Old 05-09-2004, 02:09 PM   #7
ming
Planted Tank Enthusiast

The tank is only about 6 months old

Tags
moving tank

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.