guppies pond size??
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > General Planted Tank Discussion > Ponds

Old 10-10-2008, 11:13 AM   #1
midnightk
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

guppies pond size??

hey thought id ask the pond gurus about this. i have about 150 guppies. many fry juvies and breeding adults. they were all in a 20 gallon in the beginning. what size pond would they be happy in ?? dont mind them reproducing more and more.

i could dig my backyard and concrete. or could a tank aquarium suffice??
midnightk is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-17-2008, 07:23 PM   #2
OldMan
Algae Grower

You can get larger tanks for your fish but sooner or later you must decide how many you want and have the room to care for. As a starting point, you might want to try a container type pond. It would allow you to find the right mix of sun and shade to control temperatures to reasonable values. You could find out whether there are birds or other things that will control your guppy population or even decimate it. If I recall correctly, rain is a very common event so you need to learn how to control the water levels. It will let you experiment with plants and planting water depths by using supports to hold the plantings up off the bottom. Concrete can be a bit harsh as the final layer in a pond because concrete is made using lime among other ingredients.
Filstar fan #147
OldMan is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-29-2009, 04:55 PM   #3
amp
Algae & Guppy Grower

PTrader: (40/100%)

Im actually setting up something very similar, a guppy & plant grow-out pond. Its a 110 gal container pond that Im going to set up on my porch. Right now Im using a 50 gal rubbermaid; it works but its getting pretty bent out of shape from the water weight and Im starting to worry about its integrity. If you want to go the container pond route google Tuff Tubs, I found them on here and thats what Im going to use, I got mine for $75 shipped. They come in a lot of sizes so you could go smaller or larger if you wanted. There is another post here in the pond forum from some one using them.
Old 05-22-2009, 09:18 PM   #4
houstonhobby
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (3/100%)

When I was a kid I dug a hole in the backyard, till I got tired. Probably 30 gallons. Lined it with plastic and filled it with water. In went the guppies from my 10 gallon. At the end of the summer I had 73.

On the other hand, the old Royal Waiakoloan hotel had a large reflecting pool, probably 35000 square feet, with guppies in it. They kept a pair of Oscars in it for population control. Makes an interesting display if you have the room.

Most large cities will have pond supply companies, and these will have containers which are purpose made. Like Tuff Tubs, you won't have to worry about water weight deforming the container.
houstonhobby is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-24-2009, 04:18 PM   #5
saltynay
Algae Grower

You need to decide on a target population as guppies will overpopulate themselves if left unchecked. I would then calculate it to the inch per gallon rule as numbers will fluctuate frequently it would be the safest way. Once the pond is built you then need to decide whether to use a heater or let nature take its course, if you choose nature then you will need to take temp timings for a week every few hours t find average temps at different times of day and night. There are plenty of people who do keep guppies outside as they are so easily looked after.
saltynay is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.