Help! Hagen CO2 Disgusting Smell
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Equipment

Old 05-07-2004, 02:19 AM   #1
Unisaw
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

First of all, this is a great forum that I feel lucky to have found.

Second, I just ran into a strange problem with one of my Hagen CO2 cannisters. I started to notice a very potent smell around the aquarium and traced it to one of my two CO2 cannister. The smell is so disgusting it is hard to describe. It isn't the normal yeasty smell, but a greasy, petroleum, cheesy smell. At the same time, one of my black skirt tetras developed an eye problem. I pulled the offending cannister out of service, did a significant water change, and the eye problem immediately started to disappear. After several washings, the plastic cannister and the hose still reek.

This happened about one week after I changed the chemicals in both cannisters. I used the Hagen refill. The other cannister is doing just fine.

What happened?
Eheim pimp club #23
Eheim 2231
Unisaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-07-2004, 02:21 AM   #2
wellbiz
Wannabe Guru

Sounds like a bacteria or mold issue..... Suspect maybe the yeast died and something else took over ...

Jason
Old 05-07-2004, 02:29 AM   #3
Rolo
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (7/100%)

What did you use for a recipe? Be specific on details of what kind of sugar, yeast, age, amounts...

Are you sure it's not just the alcohol smell? Are there fluids traveling through the tube into the tank?
Rolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2004, 02:32 AM   #4
Unisaw
Algae Grower

The "recipe" was the Hagen brand refill pack. Believe me, this isn't the normal smell. I have been running both of the cannisters for about six months and have never experienced anything like this before. The cannister was producing bubbles.
Eheim pimp club #23
Eheim 2231
Old 05-07-2004, 02:05 PM   #5
malkore
Planted Tank Guru

lots of wild yeasts and molds can ferment the sugar into CO2/alcohol, and can leave a foul smell.
plastic's harder to clean than glass, which is why I use 1 gallon glass carboy's for my DIY setup.
Filstar XP2 PIMP #3
Visit my aquarium pages - see specs on my tanks, and photos of how they've evolved
malkore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2004, 02:37 PM   #6
anonapersona
Wannabe Guru

I suggest writing to Hagen to see if they have an explaination, maybe they are changing their ingredients?
anonapersona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2004, 05:03 PM   #7
Rolo
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (7/100%)

I think the bacteria idea is most plausible here. I've read many DIY articles and most stress the importance to clean with very HOT water to kill off bacteria.
Old 05-07-2004, 06:21 PM   #8
malkore
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rolo737
I think the bacteria idea is most plausible here. I've read many DIY articles and most stress the importance to clean with very HOT water to kill off bacteria.
Yep. you should see the sterilization methods necessary for homebrewing!
Filstar XP2 PIMP #3
Visit my aquarium pages - see specs on my tanks, and photos of how they've evolved
malkore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2004, 06:30 PM   #9
Unisaw
Algae Grower

Thanks for your replies. I am going to start washing the cannisters in hot, soapy water every time I replenish the ingredients. In addition, I think I will put the hoses in the microwave at half power for a minute or two to kill any bacteria.
Eheim pimp club #23
Eheim 2231
Old 05-08-2004, 12:25 AM   #10
Momotaro
Doesn't like Kool-Aid

PTrader: (52/100%)

Quote:
Home brewer Malkore?

Mike
Old 05-08-2004, 12:38 AM   #11
jake
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (15/100%)

I have some strawberry mead fermenting on my back patio. I also have a very large oriental sword out there in a large, tall trashcan, for lack of tank space. I put a check valve in the line going from the 5 gal mead container to the sword - now THAT is some diy co2.
Old 05-10-2004, 02:49 PM   #12
fish_fan
Algae Grower

Malkore wrote:
Quote:
man you ain't lyin'...
5g w/eco-complete, 10w CF, ugf, java fern, male betta
fish_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2004, 02:27 AM   #13
Unisaw
Algae Grower

Update: I used a Hagen refill packet on the other cannister and got the same disgusting smell. Then, after only a rinse with hot water, I switched to the DIY recipe. The smell disappeared entirely. So, either I had a bad batch from Hagen or they changed their recipe slightly. In any case, I'll now save money and what is left of my olfactory sense.
Eheim pimp club #23
Eheim 2231
Old 06-01-2004, 09:10 AM   #14
Rikko
Algae Grower

Send a message via ICQ to Rikko Send a message via AIM to Rikko

Had the exact same problem in the store. We were using 4x Hagen CO2 systems with the Hagen refills.
That smell... Cannot be described. It simply is.

We all came up with our own theories, but in the end I bleached every container until it smelled acceptable and redid the canisters. Just to test, I did one using the full Hagen refills (same box as a stinky one), one using the Hagen "stabilizer" but baking yeast, and one using baking soda and baking yeast. A couple months later... No smell!

Now, I love to blame Hagen for everything, but in this case I think it was simply a cleanliness issue. 4/4 canisters are running just fine without that awful decay. I think those canisters need very thorough cleaning every few refills - certainly worked in our case.
Rikko is offline   Reply With Quote