Lopez_316us 5.5g Tank Journal...
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > Planted Nano Tanks

Old 10-09-2008, 05:21 PM   #1
lopez_316us
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (22/100%)

Lopez_316us 5.5g Tank Journal...

Hi guys!

So, I got a 5.5 tank for free. Actually, I got two 5.5 and one 55g but I don't have enough room to setup them all..

Anyway, I'm going to start one of the 5.5 and I decided to make a nice shrimp tank and see what happens.

I had some EQ already from my others thank that planning on using on the 5.5 tank. At this point I have which is a 40 Whisper HOB filter a 50w heater and I 12 w light fixture.

My plans are to keep the expenses under $100. What I need now is Substrate, Light Fixture and CO2.

I would like to keep it low tech. Although, I would like to have some Moss, small Nana anubia and some carpet plant. I thing those plants are demanding. therefore, I'll need more watts and good substrate. As far as CO2 I don't know if I can get away just with Excel or some cheap CO2 system like Red Sea CO2 bla bla bla thats only $30.

Please help me with this tank. Any opinions are more than welcome, I just started to look at information about Nano tanks and I haven't understand well the light rule for nanos yet but hopefully I would get some help with you guys!

Here are some pics..........

Last edited by lopez_316us; 12-22-2009 at 10:11 PM..
lopez_316us is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-09-2008, 10:20 PM   #2
ohyeahcrx
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

Someone is an intense gamer! Haha better hope no water gets on any of them. thats kinda what im afraid of with putting my nano on my desk, it gettting on the computer.

I wish i could answer some of your questions but im still learning forsure, so i wouldnt want to give you false information when someone else can give you the right information.

Good Luck!!
ohyeahcrx is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-09-2008, 10:48 PM   #3
midnightk
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

hehe and manga otaku =) i like 5.5 perfect lil size. i do think youll need more light tho. maybe scrap the hoodfixture for a simple resun or tglo ?? the hampton bay lamp is sweet too for the price.

also your prolly gonna have load of flow with that filter right. get strong plants imo =) whispers were adjustable?? i thought not but yea..........
like the black bottom nice start keep it up!!

oh btw co2 is plus =) i woke up to find my hc pearling all over. diy'd a bottle lastnight.
midnightk is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-09-2008, 11:31 PM   #4
lopez_316us
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Yeah my wife and me love video games and manga!! lol!!

And thanks for the opinions!
Old 10-11-2008, 02:49 AM   #5
lopez_316us
Planted Tank Enthusiast

So I decided to go with Amazonia 1, but I haven't decide the lights yet.

Please leave me some opinions!!!!!!
Old 10-11-2008, 03:30 AM   #6
fastfreddie
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (9/100%)

Cool tank! I always find they do best in spots where you see them all the time, so this should be perfect.

If you need stay with the same incandescent lighting fixture to meet your budget, I would at least swap the bulb to a screw-in mini compact flourescent. I've had quite a few and the 10 w is like a 50 watt and they will blast a little tank full of light. I think Marineland has one for less than $10 and coralife makes one for about $15.

Also, as far as filter flow on your whisper, I notice the Top Fin BIO 3 cartridges slowed my flow dramatically from the traditional Whisper bio bags most people use. You can also stuff a small piece of sponge in the intake tube, but you have to remember to clean it.

I really dig the Hagen DIY CO2, but I'm a beginner so .... take my advice for what its worth.

Thanks for the post and good luck! Keep the pictures coming.

Guess you're not superstitious with the black cat!

Last edited by fastfreddie; 10-11-2008 at 03:31 AM.. Reason: spelling
fastfreddie is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-11-2008, 03:44 AM   #7
lopez_316us
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by fastfreddie View Post
Cool tank! I always find they do best in spots where you see them all the time, so this should be perfect.

If you need stay with the same incandescent lighting fixture to meet your budget, I would at least swap the bulb to a screw-in mini compact flourescent. I've had quite a few and the 10 w is like a 50 watt and they will blast a little tank full of light. I think Marineland has one for less than $10 and coralife makes one for about $15.

Also, as far as filter flow on your whisper, I notice the Top Fin BIO 3 cartridges slowed my flow dramatically from the traditional Whisper bio bags most people use. You can also stuff a small piece of sponge in the intake tube, but you have to remember to clean it.

I really dig the Hagen DIY CO2, but I'm a beginner so .... take my advice for what its worth.

Thanks for the post and good luck! Keep the pictures coming.

Guess you're not superstitious with the black cat!

Thanks men!

I'm going to look the lights suggestions that you mentioned... As far as the Whisper 40 it has a flow regulator which I setup in the lowest flow. Also, I already got the sponge for it.

At this point I'm waiting for the substrate to come and going to look for the light this weekend. I will keep you guys update!

thanks!
Old 10-18-2008, 01:31 AM   #8
FrostyNYC
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (16/100%)
Send a message via AIM to FrostyNYC

Any update? What kind of shrimp are you getting?

Personally, I think that with amazonia and DIY CO2, you're taking this thing away from the low-tech setup you initially said you wanted. Mosses and anubias don't really require either of those, so you may just be overcomplicating things with the CO2. Unless you want really, really lush moss, of course. What kind of groundcover were u thinking off?
Old 10-18-2008, 02:01 AM   #9
lopez_316us
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrostyNYC View Post
Any update? What kind of shrimp are you getting?

Personally, I think that with amazonia and DIY CO2, you're taking this thing away from the low-tech setup you initially said you wanted. Mosses and anubias don't really require either of those, so you may just be overcomplicating things with the CO2. Unless you want really, really lush moss, of course. What kind of groundcover were u thinking off?
I know I'm complicating things and getting over my budget..

At this point I haven't done much to the tank. I got the filter running with gravel from my 60g tank to speed the cycle. I'm still getting the same readings from my 60g in my 5.5.
This week is going to be big. I decided to go with Eco-complete because the Amazonia Soil is going to take too long to arrive. As far as the light I'm deviating on those Home depot desk lamps (which I haven't found yet) or this light fixture

http://www.bigalsonline.com/BigAlsUS...iaqualight2x9w

or a desk lamp and use this...

http://www.bigalsonline.com/BigAlsUS...rmaxlamp20watt

I couldn't fine anything cheaper than the coral life fixture. I looked online for the H.D 27w Desk Lamp but didn't found it. People told me that they only have it at the store, Which I'm going this weekend to check it out. If is cheaper than the Coral life fixture I'm going to buy it, If not I'm going to buy the Coral Life.....

For fauna I'm looking into RCS shrimp.

Please help me with this one!!

Thanks!
Old 10-21-2008, 08:52 PM   #10
lopez_316us
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Default Update!

Ok here we go!!

So, I took a final decision and decided to go with:

Substrate: Eco-Complete
Lighting: Lamp desk 27w
Excel for CO2 (for the moment, I going to try DYI CO2)

For fauna..

Red Cristal Shrimp and Cherry Shrimp.

For flora

Nana Anubias
Java Moss
Heir Grass
Amazon sword (temporally)
One pink plant in the middle (Not sure the ID yet)

Here are the pic...Suggestions are welcome!!

Shrimp......

Old 10-21-2008, 09:22 PM   #11
dr.tran
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (76/98%)

Very nice beginings. What grade CRS is it?

My 29 gal tank

blackworms culture methods
dr.tran is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-21-2008, 09:25 PM   #12
lopez_316us
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Thanks!

Well I got 5 grade S, 4 grade A or B "I thing" and one CBS...
Old 01-13-2009, 09:46 PM   #13
FrostyNYC
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (16/100%)
Send a message via AIM to FrostyNYC

Updates?
Old 01-13-2009, 10:23 PM   #14
lopez_316us
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Well.... How to start......

This tank fail

All my shrimp die........I'm not sure why but CRS and CRS die.

Plant and SNAILS are doing really good. Actually, plants looks better than my 60g tank. I don't doze fertz and WC every two weeks. I don't understand how I don't care much for this tank and plants are doing really good. I have left the light on for more than 18 hours and I don't have algae problems or any other problems. Nitrites are 5pps, Amonia 0pps, Ph 6.8 to 7.4.

Anyway, I'm getting new stuff for this tank. I just got a Paintball Co2 system and some other things. Also, I got mosuda food and some other things from Japan for the CRS. I hope that with new filter, pressurized CO2 system and good food the CRS are going to be happy and healthy.

Stay tune!

Thanks for looking!
Old 02-28-2009, 05:07 AM   #15
boltp777
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (21/96%)
Send a message via AIM to boltp777

well shrimp need to be added to a well cycled tank and when i mean well cycled i mean like 5 to 6 months and i would suggest doing drip acclimnation when adding the shrimp also helps. crystal red shrimp are really sensitive. btw though great tank =)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.