Penguin 550 Powerhead and Operating Volume
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Equipment

Old 10-07-2008, 04:32 AM   #1
Stevie D
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (2/75%)

Penguin 550 Powerhead and Operating Volume

I just bought a brand new penguin 550 power head to inject o2 and increase flow throught the day (on for 15 minutes every hour and a half) and i noticed it's actually quite loud. I have used these exact models about 10 years ago on an ungravel filter and i don't remember while using 2 of them being this noisy. Let me explain a little furtuer:

It does not appear to be a defective problem with the unit, but more of a vibration issue when housed in it's hanging bracket. I do not think it is an impeller issue, although i don't know for sure. If i hold the unit in the water with my hand, it's pretty quiet, further testing by putting my ear up to the tank. Now if put either in the suction cup monut or the hand over tank mount, I make sure it is level (intake strainer pointing straight down to the gravel as it it quite loud when it hangs no level in the mounts) and i even put a small flat suction cup to support the lower body of the unit against the glass. It's definitely not the venturi that is making the noise, although this obviously makes noise, this noise is kinda of a grinding vibrating noise, and travels thru the glass pretty well. Over all, it is not THAT loud, but if you were to open up the venturi all the way, the "grinding" noise would be about that loud. Is this normal? I had always thought submergable powerheads were supposed to be pretty silent and i don't remember when i used two of them in the past if they made much noise (they were also supported by the intake tubes of the UGF).

Stevie D
Stevie D is offline   Reply With Quote