Complexity Journal: 29g / Low Tech with breeding pair of Pelvicachromis - Page 6
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > Tank Journals

Old 06-26-2012, 12:34 AM   #76
Complexity
Pelvicachromis Lover!

PTrader: (34/100%)

Now that's one fat and happy oto! What a great pic! Never noticed the pointing before. I'll have to watch my otos to see if they point like that, too.

Oh, wow, talk about not updating a journal! The BBA is long gone in this tank. It's been very stable for years now. I changed it to a low tech tank when I got busy with school, and I have no plans to change it back now. I robbed the CO2 stuff from this tank to use on my 90g tank.

I'm looking at getting a new camera, and as soon as I pick one out and get it, I'll update this with new pics.
Vicki Rena Filstar pimp #142 (four XP4s/three XP2s/one XP1) Eheim pimp #301 (Pro II 2128) Victor pimp #27 (VTS-253B-320)

90g - Journal Pelvicachromis taeniatus 'Moliwe' 75g - Journal Pelvicachromis pulcher 'Lagos Red' Better Pics 8-24
29g - Journal Pelvicachromis pulcher 'unknown' -- 29g - Pelvicachromis taeniatus 'Moliwe'
5g - RCS colony 2.5g - Journal Retired
Complexity is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-26-2012, 02:52 AM   #77
Karackle
Woah, I'm a Guru?!

PTrader: (16/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Complexity View Post
Now that's one fat and happy oto! What a great pic! Never noticed the pointing before. I'll have to watch my otos to see if they point like that, too.
Heeheehee that IS a fat happy oto!!! love it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Complexity View Post
I'm looking at getting a new camera, and as soon as I pick one out and get it, I'll update this with new pics.
Can't wait to see the pictures!!!
I enjoy having a zoo to care for!
20gH Planted tank,5g Planted Betta Tank
Karackle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2012, 03:01 AM   #78
Complexity
Pelvicachromis Lover!

Maybe I'll drag my old camera out to see if it can still take a halfway decent pic. I'm dragging my feet on getting a new camera. There are too many cameras out there!
Vicki Rena Filstar pimp #142 (four XP4s/three XP2s/one XP1) Eheim pimp #301 (Pro II 2128) Victor pimp #27 (VTS-253B-320)

90g - Journal Pelvicachromis taeniatus 'Moliwe' 75g - Journal Pelvicachromis pulcher 'Lagos Red' Better Pics 8-24
29g - Journal Pelvicachromis pulcher 'unknown' -- 29g - Pelvicachromis taeniatus 'Moliwe'
Old 06-26-2012, 03:26 AM   #79
150EH
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (27/100%)

You gotta have tons of pics in a journal, I even take memorial photos of the old timers the die in the tank, look under my avatar.

It's nice to know your BBA is gone and you gave it to me.
150EH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2012, 04:00 AM   #80
Complexity
Pelvicachromis Lover!

Hey, at least you can't say I didn't give you anything!

I'm actually not much of a picture taker so I don't really have a lot of pics. I usually only take them for a particular purpose. Since I haven't posted anything about my tanks for a long time, I didn't take any pics of them during that time. I have pics of my old cichlid tank, but that's of no interest now.

I'll try to get some pics tomorrow if my old camera still works.

Old 07-04-2012, 04:03 AM   #81
Ptyochromis
Algae Grower

PTrader: (1/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 150EH View Post
I notice that all Oto's have the same little quirk about pointing to the left.
Never seen them point like that. The ones I have always had kept their fins out when they sat. The belly almost looks like the bloat you see with mbuna/tropheus. The swelling is in the wrong location and wrong color to be eggs. The fin on the side could be clamping or just awkward sitting.

Thats my 2 cents + being a negative nancy hahaha

Last edited by Ptyochromis; 07-04-2012 at 04:04 AM.. Reason: woops
Ptyochromis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2012, 04:20 AM   #82
Willamette
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)

That belly is normal for Ottos. They have a gut that makes use of beneficial protozoans to break down the cellulose in the algea, and they actually survive on what the protozoans release. Symbiotic relationship...termites are the same way. And algea being extremely low calorie, they need to move a lot of it through to survive. So..plump bellies. Common among herbivores.
Willamette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2012, 04:57 AM   #83
Complexity
Pelvicachromis Lover!

Fat bellies on otos is a sign of good health. They are usually wild caught so when you see them in the LFS, they are often starved. If you see otos with thin, flat bellies, that's not good. If you get them, you will need to QT them to ensure they are able to eat and regain their strength. This is also why otos tend to have a high mortality rate the first few weeks, but are pretty hardy after that. Once they've been in your tank for awhile, they fatten back up. When buying otos, look for nice, round bellies. Those are the ones you want.

Old 07-04-2012, 07:54 PM   #84
sewingalot
I ♥ BBA!

PTrader: (112/100%)

X2. All my otos are fat and happy full of algae. But since this has been bumped up, I am really curious on how the tank is progressing.
Old 07-04-2012, 09:27 PM   #85
Complexity
Pelvicachromis Lover!

The tank is doing great! It's very stable so there's not a whole lot going on to write about.

The big event right now is that my Pelvicachromis have bred again and their fry are free swimming now. They've bred many times, but they always lose the fry at this stage. They're just such non-aggressive parents, they don't guard the fry enough. I had some chain loaches in there that were a royal pain to the Pelvicachromis. I removed them so I'm hoping that's the solution to the fry problem. If not, then I'm going to take the tetras out of the tank (which would be a shame because I really like them there).

Just fed the tank some baby brine shrimp. I think the fry is still too small to eat it, but I wanted to give them a chance. At least everyone else in the tank had a feast! LOL!

Old 07-05-2012, 02:17 AM   #86
Ptyochromis
Algae Grower

PTrader: (1/100%)

Take the fry out m8, if they are still small enough get them with a siphon, into a bucket with tank water. And stick em in a 20 (bigger the faster they grow). I find that when my L.ornatipinnis spawn in my 55 they used to grow faster in there vs in a 29 grow out tank. But once i started changing the water 25% every other day + 3-5 feeding daily of BBS + ground (or powdered depending on size) NLS grow formula they have started to take off! People also say that decapsulated brine shrimp eggs are great grow out food.

I never trust my pulcher with their fry, every single spawn to date has been eaten by them, always notice the spawn too late.

If the make it to 1" I would love to trade/buy with/from you; assuming they are not pulcher :P
Ptyochromis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2012, 04:15 AM   #87
Complexity
Pelvicachromis Lover!

Oh, no, I don't want to take the fry away from the parents! The manner in which the parents raise the fry is what I like the most about them! They'll figure it out eventually. And if not that's okay. It's not as if I have a shortage of Pelvicachromis.

And, yeah, they're definitely P. pulcher. I'm just not sure exactly which one though. It's not the standard Krib, but there are so many others, it's hard to get an exact ID.