Complexity Journal: 29g / Low Tech with breeding pair of Pelvicachromis - Page 3
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > Tank Journals

Old 01-05-2009, 11:06 PM   #31
Hungry Wendigo
Algae Grower

PTrader: (2/100%)

Oh wow, I'm not really sure what to say. I recently spent about a week sulking over the loss of my favorite pleco, but this sort of puts that "crisis" to shame. I'm very sorry for all your losses, that can't be an easy thing.

Regardless, I'm still eagerly awaiting pictures and I fully expect to be dazzled by this tank. Your 75gal remains my inspiration for a larger tank in the future. Think I saw an update on that one, actually...
Hungry Wendigo is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-06-2009, 02:59 AM   #32
Complexity
Pelvicachromis Lover!

PTrader: (34/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by imeridian View Post
Yikes... seems it's one of those 'when it rains, it pours' time periods, isn't it?

I hope my bad luck hasn't been rubbing off...
You don't have bad luck to rub off onto anyone. It's all just part of having a planted tank. The initial setup period is often the most difficult. And although the 29g is an upgrade from my original 20Long, switching it from dim lights, no CO2 and no ferts to double the light, EI ferts and injected CO2 is basically the same as starting a whole new tank.

Lessons learned:
  • Put a screen over the python to prevent fish from getting in.
  • When setting a pH controller on a new setup, move the pH downward very slowly, allowing for a normal week of maintenance to pass before attempting to set the lowest possible pH.
  • Follow proper procedures when using equipment so you don't blow your regulator, releasing a ton of bubble counter fluid into the tank.
  • Always double check canisters for leaks within 5 minutes whenever you've messed with them.
  • And going cheap (stand) isn't always the best value for the money. Good deals are great, but always ensure the quality is able to withstand normal use and abuse.

This is the process by which experience is gained. I will do better to not repeat my earlier mistakes. I'll make more mistakes, but, hopefully, with each one, I'll learn better so I can do better.

But, yeah, the rain has been pouring lately on this tank.

Also, good news on the fish. They seem to be doing better tonight. I'll still be watching them closely, but I think the original problem that killed so many has been fixed.
Vicki Rena Filstar pimp #142 (four XP4s/three XP2s/one XP1) Eheim pimp #301 (Pro II 2128) Victor pimp #27 (VTS-253B-320)

90g - Journal Pelvicachromis taeniatus 'Moliwe' 75g - Journal Pelvicachromis pulcher 'Lagos Red' Better Pics 8-24
29g - Journal Pelvicachromis pulcher 'unknown' -- 29g - Pelvicachromis taeniatus 'Moliwe'
5g - RCS colony 2.5g - Journal Retired
Complexity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2009, 03:05 AM   #33
Complexity
Pelvicachromis Lover!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hungry Wendigo View Post
Oh wow, I'm not really sure what to say. I recently spent about a week sulking over the loss of my favorite pleco, but this sort of puts that "crisis" to shame. I'm very sorry for all your losses, that can't be an easy thing.
I'm so sorry about your pleco! You obviously loved him very much. And it's not sulking, but mourning. I think it's healthy to grieve over the losses of our favorite pets.

Quote:
Regardless, I'm still eagerly awaiting pictures and I fully expect to be dazzled by this tank. Your 75gal remains my inspiration for a larger tank in the future. Think I saw an update on that one, actually...
Thank you! I don't know how dazzling it'll be, but I am looking forward to getting both tanks the way I want them.
Vicki Rena Filstar pimp #142 (four XP4s/three XP2s/one XP1) Eheim pimp #301 (Pro II 2128) Victor pimp #27 (VTS-253B-320)

90g - Journal Pelvicachromis taeniatus 'Moliwe' 75g - Journal Pelvicachromis pulcher 'Lagos Red' Better Pics 8-24
29g - Journal Pelvicachromis pulcher 'unknown' -- 29g - Pelvicachromis taeniatus 'Moliwe'
Old 01-06-2009, 03:09 AM   #34
Phoenix-cry
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (2/100%)

Wow...uh....bad week! Ouch!
Phoenix-cry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2009, 03:53 AM   #35
Complexity
Pelvicachromis Lover!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phoenix-cry View Post
Wow...uh....bad week! Ouch!
That says it all!

Old 01-06-2009, 08:23 PM   #36
Po0gs
Algae Grower

PTrader: (4/100%)

Sorry to hear about the problems but in the end it'll be amazing, I look forward to updates!
Po0gs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2009, 12:27 AM   #37
Complexity
Pelvicachromis Lover!

Thanks, Po0gs! I have a lot of work to do so it's going to take awhile, but that will just make it that much sweeter when I finally do get things in order.

Also, welcome to TPT!

Old 01-07-2009, 01:02 AM   #38
fastfreddie
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (9/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Complexity View Post
Lessons learned:
  • Put a screen over the python to prevent fish from getting in.
  • When setting a pH controller on a new setup, move the pH downward very slowly, allowing for a normal week of maintenance to pass before attempting to set the lowest possible pH.
  • Follow proper procedures when using equipment so you don't blow your regulator, releasing a ton of bubble counter fluid into the tank.
  • Always double check canisters for leaks within 5 minutes whenever you've messed with them.
  • And going cheap (stand) isn't always the best value for the money. Good deals are great, but always ensure the quality is able to withstand normal use and abuse.

This is the process by which experience is gained. I will do better to not repeat my earlier mistakes. I'll make more mistakes, but, hopefully, with each one, I'll learn better so I can do better.
TPT should start a sticky of stuff like this. I'm so sorry all this stuff happened to you but you've got the dedication to pull through.

I just used water in the bubble counter.... is there an advantage to the oil? I can definitely see the disadvantage.

Your luck will turn around soon!
Old 01-07-2009, 05:20 PM   #39
Karackle
Woah, I'm a Guru?!

PTrader: (16/100%)

Wow Vicki, I'm so sorry to hear about all of your troubles! And especially the fish losses, it's always hard.

But you are also right that it's a learning experience, we've all made mistakes and learned from them, it's just a part of this hobby unfortunately. I'm glad you see it as a learning experience and are willing to move forward and not give up though, because I bet this tank will be stunning when it's done!

I really can't wait to see updated pictures! It sounds like things are finally starting to pull together which is good to hear!

Also, let me know if you want any Endler or hybrid females, I'd be more than willing to pass on my guppy female to you as well
I enjoy having a zoo to care for!
20gH Planted tank,5g Planted Betta Tank
Karackle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2009, 10:37 PM   #40
Tex Gal
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (78/100%)
Send a message via Yahoo to Tex Gal

Boy Vicki, I check out for a week or so and come back to your tank's issues. SO SORRY!!!! What a pain. Sometimes life just seems to throw it all at you at once!

On the other hand. Love your driftwood. It's gonna look fantastic! Don't wait until everything is perfect to post a px. What's so neat about these journals is seeing the beginning and the growth. The tanks are never finished.

95g Rimless

Tex Gal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2009, 04:11 AM   #41
CL
C-A-T-S

PTrader: (79/100%)

How have I missed this until now I hope you get better luck!
Old 02-15-2009, 04:36 AM   #42
Complexity
Pelvicachromis Lover!

I could use some better luck.

Okay, all the fish are stable now. Not a problem since the CO2 overdose. So what do I have now? I'll give you three guesses.

BBA and Clado! What a lovely combination! My wood is nice and furry now.

I'm not going nuts over it just yet. I think this means I have now experienced every single algae that is known to grow in tanks! What a milestone! LOL!

I did the first H2O2 treatment today. I know the CO2 is an issue. After ODing on it, I'm scared to crank it back up. So, of course, BBA jumped in.

The Clado had always been in that tank, but just a small patch about the size of a nickel on one piece of wood. I never thought anything of it. It was kind of pretty, in fact. It seems the extra light, CO2 and ferts have jolted the clado into growing. It's attacking my tank pretty badly. I'm hoping the H2O2 can kill it. We'll see.

I have this tank planted, but I only used left over plants from my 75g. So they're not as pretty. I'm also thinking the lighting may not work out. I never see this tank pearl (even with the raised CO2).

I still have a lot of work to do with this tank. I'm actually finding it harder to do than my 75g. But that's part of the fun of it all. Watching the tanks go through their trials and then seeing them improve. Makes you appreciate things when they're going well!

Old 02-15-2009, 05:11 AM   #43
chonhzilla
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (6/100%)

the DW looks awesome!!
Old 02-15-2009, 05:22 AM   #44
Complexity
Pelvicachromis Lover!

Thanks, chonhzilla! I just realized that I never posted a picture of the tank after I put it together. I need to do that (yes, with BBA and Clado). I tend to put this tank secondary to my 75g so it doesn't get the same amount of attention, but it's coming along okay.

I'll try to get some pictures posted for tomorrow.

Old 02-15-2009, 05:27 AM   #45
BiscuitSlayer
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (9/100%)

Complexity -

I was wondering about the pictures. I read the thread a while ago and saw the pictures of your wood. I have been sitting on the edge of my seat ever since.
Filstar Pimp #106

29 Gallon Journal - XP2, Dual Aquaticlife link Fixture , Pressurized CO2, DIY Reactor, EI dosing
Stand and Canopy Build Journal for a 90 On hold for a while...
BiscuitSlayer is offline   Reply With Quote