Solar Distillation??? Viable source of dis-H2O? - Page 2
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > DIY

Old 08-10-2004, 10:01 PM   #16
Oqsy
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (8/100%)
Send a message via AIM to Oqsy Send a message via MSN to Oqsy Send a message via Yahoo to Oqsy

"I absolutely refuse to believe on blind faith that water coming out of a bottle or my tap contains magical salts and minerals that are simply not present in any quantities in a balanced diet."

you're absolutely right. if anything i said hinted otherwise then let me retract it. there is a RISK for people who have electrolyte balance problems (fairly common in the elderly and people with strict diets) of acidosis or increased heart arrythmias. for someone that eats sqaure meals and sticks to the food pyramid, it most likely would never ever hurt them, but those people are rare. moreso, if bottled spring water or mineral water is less likely to cause problems, however slight the difference, then why not just skip the distilled and go for the spring water? they're right next to each other on the same shelf in every grocery store i've been in, and comparably priced... with the exception of dialysis patients or other strictly monitored fluid intake diets, i see no reason why you would choose distilled over spring. what's the point? that it's "sterile"? because once it hits your lips or your glass it's no longer sterile... that it's pure? once again, hits your lips or glass, no longer "pure". that it's "healthier"? if the premise at the beginning of this argument was true, in that the person in question has a balanced diet, then why all the bugging out over water intake? a little mg, ca, k, or na gonna kill you? not in an individual who is otherwise healthy and eats well... any other reasons for drinking distilled over spring water? please fill me in...

in response to the original intent of this post, i would be quite interested in the volume of water you could distill in a day or a week with a home or diy distillery.... if it's significant and cheap to set up, then i might just give up on the RO unit dream.

Oqsy
Oqsy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-11-2004, 07:46 PM   #17
fedge
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (2/100%)

Geez what an arguement... lol

I think that a 4 square foot sheet of glass can produce about 3 gallons a day of distilled water... approximately. (depends on the conditions of the sun, temp, etc though I would guess--can't make the water outside when its 30 below zero.. )
Old 08-14-2004, 10:50 PM   #18
zapus
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (1/100%)

That sounds a bit optimistic to me. This design http://www.bagelhole.org/article.php/Water/267/ gets that amount from somewhere around 18 sq. ft.
Old 08-15-2004, 12:27 AM   #19
fedge
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (2/100%)

Yah I was off on that.. I was thinking about 3feet by 4 feet.. must have been tired when i input that.....

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.