eheim liberty 100 hob for a 5.5g quarantine tank?
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Equipment

Old 05-05-2004, 04:44 AM   #1
kindbud
Algae Grower

PTrader: (3/100%)

i've got 29g and 10g planted tanks that house some tetras, white clouds, otos, and corys (habrosus and pygmaeus).

after having major turnover problems with the cardinals and pygmy corys, decided to get a 5.5g quarantine tank. using the eheim 2213 on the 29g and the aquaclear mini on the 10g. love them both. was going to just use the box filter with air pump for the 5.5g qt tank, but it's just way too noisy. no way i could deal with 2 weeks+ of the qt tank running this way, even if it's only once in a while.

my question. . . i suppose i could use the aq mini on the 5.5g on the lowest flow setting (which gives about 33 gallons per hour), but was thinking about getting the eheim liberty also. anyone have any experience with the liberty 100? would it just be too much flow for a 5.5 with smaller tetras? wouldn't want the 5.5 'adjustment/treatment' tank to be one constant tidal wave. it's not a planted 5.5. using some plastic plants just for cover since i won't be using gravel in the tank. thanks in advance for any replies. any other suggestions for 5.5 qt tank filtration would be welcomed too. i want quiet, and effective. aesthetics very important (already using plastic and poly-fabric plants).
kindbud is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-06-2004, 04:14 PM   #2
malkore
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (0/0%)

i've used an ac mini on a 5.5, and it was perfect, even on 'full blast'

for a Q-tank, and eheim just seems like an expensive filter. Ac mini's can be bought online for $10
Filstar XP2 PIMP #3
Visit my aquarium pages - see specs on my tanks, and photos of how they've evolved
malkore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2004, 08:12 PM   #3
equilibrium
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

I have an Eclipse System 6 that I use for quarantine. It turns over 75 gph, and I don't think the flow is excessive.. Your specs with a Liberty 100 wouldn't be that much different.

I'm with Malkore here. If you won't be running it all the time (although my QT is now semi-permanent.. hmm.. anyway..), I would probably go with the cheaper solution and get the AquaClear. That might give you a little more media flexibility too..

How about a better air pump for the box filter you already have? I have a Rena and it's quiet enough to use in a bedroom.
Eheim Pimp Club Member #10
25 gal. Planted - SeaClear, Eheim 2026 Pro II, Retro Eclipse 2 hood w/1 x 65 watt CF & 2 x 15 watt NO, Hagen CO2, Eco-Complete
equilibrium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2004, 10:49 PM   #4
Momotaro
Doesn't like Kool-Aid

PTrader: (52/100%)

I use a $3 bubble filter in my Q.

Mike
Old 05-10-2004, 07:12 AM   #5
kindbud
Algae Grower

PTrader: (3/100%)

going with the aq mini for the 5.5g quarantine tank. the one i have on the 10g planted works well enough, quiet too. convenience of omnipresent aquaclear supplies makes the decision easy for me. only concern was too much flow for a 5.5. thanks for all your replies. hoping this q tank will help with my cardinal and pygmy cory problems. i am currently batting right around the mendoza line (20% for you non-baseball folk) trying to build a school of cardinals.

11 bucks online. can't beat that. makes me want to order a dozen and get a dozen more 5.5 and 10g tanks. hehe
kindbud is offline   Reply With Quote