Lumens and PAR - Page 2
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > General Planted Tank Discussion > The Planted Tank FAQ

Old 02-13-2003, 09:16 PM   #16
GulfCoastAquarian
Planted Tank VIP

PTrader: (6/100%)
Send a message via ICQ to GulfCoastAquarian Send a message via Yahoo to GulfCoastAquarian

Those GE 9325K bulbs have pretty strong red output, but blue and yellow are equally strong. How do these bulbs appear to the naked eye?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-13-2003, 10:05 PM   #17
m.lemay
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (9/100%)

Looking at the bulb, they have a pinkish/violet hue. I really like the way they light the tank, they get rid of that yellowish cast I get with the 6400k bulbs. The yellowish tint in the water is probably from the flourish and maybe some tannins from the driftwood.
I just ran a little experiment: I usually run the 9325k in the back of the tank and the 6400k in the front. I just swapped them and put the 9325k in front and within 10 minutesthe front of the tank started pearling more. I think I just answered my own question.:hehe: Now I just gotta find a place that sells them cheaper than $29.
FILSTAR Pimp #2

75 gal heavily planted,50/50 Black beauty,Eco-complete substrate, Pressurised CO2 with solenoid, ph controller, AB Reactor 1000, 330 watts 9325K GE PC lighting,Ehiem Liquidoser, 2-Filstar xp3 canisters.
m.lemay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2003, 10:55 PM   #18
GDominy
Planted Tank VIP

PTrader: (0/0%)

Good luck.

I priced out those fixtures for my 135 gallon a while ago.

$275 (Canadian) for the fixture and 2 bulbs!! Ouch! Thats a lot of coin for 110 watts of light.
GDominy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2003, 11:16 PM   #19
m.lemay
Planted Tank Guru

I love USA, They're only $129 here.
BTW I lived in Canada for 3 years in the mid 70s.:P
FILSTAR Pimp #2

75 gal heavily planted,50/50 Black beauty,Eco-complete substrate, Pressurised CO2 with solenoid, ph controller, AB Reactor 1000, 330 watts 9325K GE PC lighting,Ehiem Liquidoser, 2-Filstar xp3 canisters.
Old 02-13-2003, 11:40 PM   #20
SNPiccolo5
Planted Tank Enthusiast

I was just wondering what kinds of bulbs are good for PC's as well... I looked on the site Gulf Coast mentioned ( I have a straight pin configuration....) and saw they have a "red/white" bulb, and then a plant growth bulb, which the picture basically showed a "red/white" bulb. I e-mailed them asking the difference and information on each of the bulbs and should get a reply soon.

-Tim
Old 02-14-2003, 02:42 AM   #21
m.lemay
Planted Tank Guru

They also have a red/blue bulb. I hope they have some wavelength specs so we can make some educated decisions. Post your findings.
FILSTAR Pimp #2

Old 02-14-2003, 05:02 AM   #22
SNPiccolo5
Planted Tank Enthusiast

That is one thing that made me a bit curious too. It seems the red/blue bulb would be for plants, but I can see why the red/white would (somewhat). Hopefully at least one of the bulbs is good for plants!

-Tim
Old 02-14-2003, 01:03 PM   #23
GulfCoastAquarian
Planted Tank VIP

Send a message via ICQ to GulfCoastAquarian Send a message via Yahoo to GulfCoastAquarian

The blue part of the red/blue bulb is actinic, and it just wouldn't provide enough output in the wavelengths plants photosynthesize at. The white part of the red/white plant growth bulb is a high Kelvin white, with strong blue output, but still a visually pleasing tone. I have a feeling that bulb would be killer on a planted tank. I would order a pair today with a WH7 ballast if I had the funds!
Old 02-14-2003, 05:29 PM   #24
SNPiccolo5
Planted Tank Enthusiast

You talk about ordering the bulbs with a balast... If my 2x55 watt strip I have has straight-pin bulbs, I could just order the bulbs, and put them in, right? I assumed with would be true, just to double check.

I forgot to put in my last post, I also have the 9325 K bulbs, but since my tank is a 55 and I don't have another 2x55 watt strip, the purplish hew is too much for me... But, I do think that they would nicely balance out in a tank with 4x55 PC, like m.Lemay's.

I also decided to try putting T-12 bulbs into my ODNO fixture (I am going to check it this weekend, since I really don't think the bulbs are actually getting over-driven 4x, some wire is probably off somewhere) and it worked! The first time I tried this, it didn't work, but now it does, who knows! The T8 appears brighter, it is uncomfortable to look at it, but the T12 you can stare into comfortably.

If in fact there is a wire off somewhere, I can't wait to see what the GE P&A bulbs look like 4x, and with their decent PUR, my plants should be liking it!

-Tim
Old 02-14-2003, 07:11 PM   #25
GulfCoastAquarian
Planted Tank VIP

Correct - the only reason I spoke of ordering a ballast with endcaps is because my caps are square pin and I wanted to add a second set of 55w bulbs for a total of four.

I kinda like the purplish hue, I might have to check out those 9325K bulbs. Dont' expect the P&A bulbs to look brighter, though! As much as the regular T12 bulb you used looks a bit dimmer than the T8, the P&A will appear to have even less output. And it is true that overall lumens are definitely lower, but like you said, their increased PUR should make a difference in your plant growth. I hope they respond.

If possible, try to get the Sylvania Plant & Aquarium bulbs at Lowes instead of the GE ones at Home Depot. They're slightly more efficient.
Old 02-14-2003, 07:43 PM   #26
Anonymous
Planted Member

If anyone cares I just bought Philips TL850 Altos and they are 5000K and 86CRI. The bulb burns blueish/white and the tank looks very natural and not overly yellow or white. I have 4 bulbs on my tank, being 2 times ODNO each. My plants are pearling and growing. I paid $85.00 for a case of 25 T 8 bulbs.
Anonymous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2003, 08:40 PM   #27
GulfCoastAquarian
Planted Tank VIP

That's a great price on those bulbs. You've got enough bulbs to last quite a long time! I'm guessing they are the most recent version of the Phillips Advantage fluorescent, 5000K F32T8/ADV850 bulbs listed on the aritcle on Aqua Botanic. If so, with 22.8 uE/s Total PUR for standard output, you're probably getting upwards of 30 uE/s being ODNO 2x. Not bad at all! Glad to see that your plants are pearling and growing as well.
Old 02-16-2003, 04:31 PM   #28
SNPiccolo5
Planted Tank Enthusiast

After changing my light setup, I can definitely tell a difference in some plants. Instead of using the GE P&A, I used my 9325 K PC's and put in a "nutrigrow" T12 in my ODNO fixture. My Rotala wallichii is bright pink on the tips, and everything else is going well.

Nothing is growing much since CO2 is not here yet, but I'm sure that will change once I get all the stuff in the mail..

-Tim
Old 02-17-2003, 01:26 AM   #29
m.lemay
Planted Tank Guru

I wish I had a little more info on those white/red bulbs Pet supply liquidators. I might buy a couple and compare them to the 9325ks. I thought the sight had plant bulbs and the red/white bulbs? I'll have to check the sight again. If thats the case maybe I'll buy one of each to see which one I like best.
FILSTAR Pimp #2

Old 02-17-2003, 01:53 AM   #30
SNPiccolo5
Planted Tank Enthusiast

If you go to the website, they only have the "plant growth" in the bulb information part, but when you order them, you can choose between the "red/white" and the "plant growth". The "red/white" might be a narrower red spectrum, like actinic blue, except red, if that makes any sense.... I want to order some too....

-Tim

Tags
lighting equipment, what lighting