How to do weekly water changes on non-CO2?
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > Low Tech Forum

Old 09-23-2008, 12:48 AM   #1
KDahlin
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (31/100%)

How to do weekly water changes on non-CO2?

I've been wondering how to do weekly water changes on my non-CO2 24 gallon tank without inducing algae produced by the CO2 spike from the tap water. I want to do water changes partially because the tank is fairly heavily planted and when I feed my dwarf cichlids they often don't see all the food. I also want to do water changes because I think a tank that has regular frequent water changes looks better (I've seen this in my CO2 tanks).

I was amazed at how clear and clean-looking the non-CO2 tank was that Brette linked to: http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/lo...-tank-web.html
so I asked Oliver how often and how much he changed the water and he said every week 15%. How do you think he does it without inducing algae brought on by the CO2 spikes? I sure don't see any algae in his beautiful tank.

"We are living on this planet as if we have another one to go to". T. Swearingen
KDahlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-23-2008, 01:17 AM   #2
Minsc
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (58/100%)

I've often done water changes on non-CO2 tanks, and never had an algae bloom afterwords. Then again, I'm pretty sure my water doesn't have elevated levels of CO2.

Do you have any reason to suspect your tap has high levels of CO2?
Minsc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2008, 01:34 AM   #3
lauraleellbp
Fresh Fish Freak

PTrader: (70/100%)

I do about 20% every 2 weeks on my low tech (non-CO2-injected) tanks. I've never worried about CO2 level fluctuations from water changes; my tanks are well-circulated and have HOBs with waterfalls/biowheels, so I don't imagine the levels fluctuate that much.
Tampa Bay Aquarium Society - Next meeting Monday, Oct 13, 2014 @ 7:15pm- See ya there!
TBAS Annual Fish Auction - November 1st!!

lauraleellbp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2008, 01:35 AM   #4
discuscardscorys
Algae Grower

PTrader: (6/100%)

the way i avoid the problem is by maintaining very good circulation, and therefor gas exchange. by keeping the co2 level similar to what is in the air, you eliminate the difference between the tank water and the water you are adding (or so it seems to me)
discuscardscorys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2008, 01:47 AM   #5
customdrumfinishes
are you experienced?

PTrader: (108/98%)

never heard of a co2 spike after water change, i have 3 tanks without co2, do 20-30% every 2 weeks with no problems.
customdrumfinishes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2008, 01:51 AM   #6
El Exorcisto
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

Do them at night after lights-out... Problem solved
El Exorcisto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2008, 02:13 AM   #7
KDahlin
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Huh! This is very enlightening! I must have algae problems for another reason. That's really interesting to hear that other people do frequent water changes in non-CO2 tanks without algae problems. Now I don't know what to think...

"We are living on this planet as if we have another one to go to". T. Swearingen
Old 09-23-2008, 02:15 AM   #8
epicfish
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (266/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by KDahlin View Post
Huh! This is very enlightening! I must have algae problems for another reason. That's really interesting to hear that other people do frequent water changes in non-CO2 tanks without algae problems. Now I don't know what to think...
I do the same. Just drain the water and fill'er back up without problems. Although I do dose 1.5x Excel when I do WCs on every tank I do. It's become habit. Maybe that helps a little bit? No clue.
epicfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2008, 02:23 AM   #9
KDahlin
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Well, maybe I misread this article. That's what I took away from it: http://www.barrreport.com/articles/4...2-methods.html

Old 09-23-2008, 02:26 AM   #10
epicfish
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (266/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Barr
Doing water changes adds CO2 back to a CO2 limited tank.
Plants and algae both can and do adapt to low CO2 environments and induce genes to make enzymes that concentrate CO2 around Rubisco, the CO2 fixing enzyme. When we add the CO2 at higher levels back, this causes the plants and algae to destroy the low CO2 enzymes and start growing without of them since they no longer need them to fix CO2 form the KH ( the -HCO3).
Why keep all this machinery around if you no longer need it? Doing weekly water changes "fools" the plants and helps encourage algae more. Algae are faster to respond to low CO2 than plants.
Once the plants do adapt, they can do well.
Interesting. If you do water changes with plenty of surface turbulence, is the level of CO2 in the aerated tap water still much greater than the level of CO2 in a non-injected tank? And what if you do WCs with less volume. Maybe 2-3 gallons vs. 4-5 gallons in a 24 gallon tank?

Maybe Barr will chime in on PT.
epicfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2008, 03:07 AM   #11
discuscardscorys
Algae Grower

as i understand it, excel and non excel are two completely different setups
my excel tank has no issues with algae when i do water changes where as my non-excel tank did until i took the hood off, hung the light and increased surface agitation.
my next setup is going to be non co2, non excel but with a wet-dry filter...has to wait till Christmas vacation though
discuscardscorys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2008, 03:21 AM   #12
KDahlin
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by discuscardscorys View Post
as i understand it, excel and non excel are two completely different setups
my excel tank has no issues with algae when i do water changes where as my non-excel tank did until i took the hood off, hung the light and increased surface agitation.
my next setup is going to be non co2, non excel but with a wet-dry filter...has to wait till Christmas vacation though
I have experimented with Excel on this tank and was unable to see a difference.

Old 09-23-2008, 04:22 AM   #13
mistergreen
No more Bow ties

PTrader: (13/100%)

15% water change really isn't that much.

and an easy way to lower your changes of an algae outbreak is not have too much light.
mistergreen is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2008, 08:24 AM   #14
nikonD70s
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (16/100%)

i do about %70 water change every week on my low-tech no co2 60 gallon tank. and no algae bloom what so ever, and the tank looks super clean and clear after every change. could be my tap water? i dont know i never check any of the water paremeters.
nikonD70s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2008, 12:15 PM   #15
Aquarist_Fist
Wannabe Guru

I would assume that a large ammount of the CO2 is outgased when the water splashes from the faucet into the bucket, when Prime is added and everything stirred etc.

And even if not: assuming that you don't have *really* elevated leves of CO2 in your tap water, there will hardly be a spike...a spike looks like this: ^
Pimp Club Member #313

Originally Posted by macclellan
my personal favorite is Random Capitalization. It is so Very fun and Surprising.
Aquarist_Fist is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
water changes