Nova Extreme and Loud Fan!
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Lighting

Old 09-17-2008, 09:17 AM   #1
Stevie D
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (2/75%)

Nova Extreme and Loud Fan!

I just got the 24" 96 watt Nova Extreme and first thing i noticed is the fan is extremely loud! By far the loudest thing in my house. I'm sure this is an issue with everybody who owns one of these.

Anyone have any ideas on what to do? Replacement fan, fan controller, run no fan at all? The fixture will be up on the mounting legs and running only 2 bulbs for 8 hours with a burst from the other 2 bulbs for 2-3 hours only running all 4 bulbs. Can I only run the fan when all 4 bulbs are on? The new nova extreme's come with 4 electrical plugs, 2 AC and 2 DC Wallwart power supplies, one for the moonlights and one for the fan. I have a glass canopy on my tank, can i just remove the splash guard and not run the fan? I'm just kinda upset because i bought an eheim filter which is dead silent and the rest of the tank is pretty much silent and this fan volume competes with the TV!

Thanks,
Stevie D
Stevie D is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-17-2008, 04:55 PM   #2
SpeedEuphoria
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (1/100%)

I have seen this a couple times on different forums. I dont have one or have ever seen one in person.

One person was talking about cutting the slots out so it would stop whistling.

In my experience with modding computers, all fans are not equal. I think they must use some cheap fans in there that are loud.

If its a standard computer fan size(80/90/120mm) then you can get a better fan easily. Look here for fans and it tells the db level(although not always exact):
http://www.newegg.com/Store/SubCateg...name=Case-Fans

I dont like newegg's newer shipping fees, so look at other computer stores for good prices. I personally would not buy a fan from Best Buy/Circuit City b/c they normally just have the cheap/loud ones.
Understanding the basics will let you make informed decisions on what advice to follow, and what advice is just plain hooey!
VICTOR PIMP #9 VTS-253A-1993
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2641801
SpeedEuphoria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2008, 05:50 PM   #3
Stevie D
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (2/75%)

By the way, the unit is great, i don't want to stop somebody from buying one. I've been running the light for 4 hours today with only 2 bulbs and the unit is quite cool, but then again it is only around 70 degrees in my room. For not i think i will just run the fan on a timer only when all 4 lights are on until i mod/replace the fan.

Stevie D
Stevie D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2008, 05:00 AM   #4
lauraleellbp
Fresh Fish Freak

PTrader: (70/100%)

If you just bought it new, I'd take it back and exchange it. This seemed to be a problem with older models that was fixed in newer models.

If that isn't an option, you can DIY replace the fan with a computer fan. If you run a search through threads in the DIY forum, I know there were some threads about it from around springtime this year...
Tampa Bay Aquarium Society - Next meeting Monday, Oct 13, 2014 @ 7:15pm- See ya there!
TBAS Annual Fish Auction - November 1st!!

lauraleellbp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2008, 05:09 AM   #5
jcardona1
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (22/100%)

i have one, and its loud as heck too! i guess ive just gotten used to the sound of an airplane taking off in my living room!!!! lol

jcardona1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2008, 05:22 AM   #6
pb300
Algae Grower

PTrader: (5/100%)

My brother has the 48" 2x54w model and it came with that crappy fan. You can hear it through the entire apartment. He used the fan for the first day and its never been on since, couple months now, and its still working great with no difference in temperature. I highly doubt that little fan (25mm) would be able to move a useful amount of air along the full 4 feet. He just leaves the plexi shield off since he has glass tops.
pb300 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2008, 01:03 PM   #7
AaronT
Collectoritis Patient

PTrader: (202/100%)

I know ingg on here has modified one with a quieter fan. Perhaps he'll share his technique with us.
Old 09-18-2008, 01:54 PM   #8
SpeedEuphoria
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by pb300 View Post
I highly doubt that little fan (25mm)
Its not 25mm, I can tell you that and I dont own one, that would be ~1" and not move anything. It looks to be a 40mm fan to me.
Understanding the basics will let you make informed decisions on what advice to follow, and what advice is just plain hooey!

Last edited by SpeedEuphoria; 09-18-2008 at 10:37 PM..
Old 09-18-2008, 06:28 PM   #9
Plastic Plant Botanist
Algae Grower

50mm fans are not really a standard size. My bet would be a 40mm or even 60mm. The down side is that 40mm fans tend to be noisy little buggers. I had need of a 40mm fan for a project once and bought a few. The only really quiet one I found then was Scythe's Mini Kaze Ultra. Maybe that can help. The only possible problem with a 40mm fan swap is that the quieter they are, the less air they push.
If you are the real DIY type, depending on how your light fixture is made, you might consider enlarging the fan hole and adding a bigger more silent/efficient fan on the outside.....
Good Luck

PPB
Eheim Pimp #306
If your plants have trouble growing, they might be plastic....
Or your using something other than an Eheim!
Plastic Plant Botanist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2008, 09:25 PM   #10
pb300
Algae Grower

PTrader: (5/100%)

Quote:
Its not 25mm, I can tell you that and I dont own one, that would be ~1" and not move anything.

If the one on your light is a 40mm or bigger then you can definitely find a better one. The Vantec Stealth line of fans are supposed to be pretty good, as well as panaflow.
pb300 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2008, 10:44 PM   #11
SpeedEuphoria
Planted Tank Obsessed

Thats worthless, guess it is 30mm from what I see. Just need to know if its 12v or 5v. Since its loud its prob 12v not that it really matters. I dont see that small of fan doing much of anything.

Take a digital temp probe and stick it under the cover, run it for some time to see the temp, then turn the fans off and test also.

Keeping the cover off and fans off should be cooler then closed with fans on IMO. If you already have the cover off, I dont think those fans would make a difference at all

Tags
loud fan, nova extreme