Sharing my 4 gal. Finnex....Again
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > Planted Nano Tanks

Old 09-15-2008, 10:57 PM   #1
rekles75
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (104/100%)

Sharing my 4 gal. Finnex....Again

Ok I tore THIS tank down

"Old scape Kinda"

and I am trying another scape. I will try a HC emmersed with maybe some dwarf sag in the background.

Let me know what you think. I dont really like the DW peices and I may change that. I have plenty left over from my 55 gal scape.

I need a lot of feedback, because well truthfully I dont no what the hell im doing.

55 GAL #1---55 GAL #2 ---10 GAL---4 GAL Finnex---ALL SCAPES HAVE BEEN RETIRED.
rekles75 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-15-2008, 11:00 PM   #2
epicfish
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (266/100%)

I'd take out the driftwood pieces or find some longer pieces. The HC looks like it's filling in well.

I would have more of a slop in the substrate. I think it would look nicer of there was a valley in the middle, and the rocks on either side were higher up.
epicfish is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-15-2008, 11:04 PM   #3
rekles75
Planted Tank Enthusiast

I dont know yet. right now I just have them there. I dont like it and will probably change it when I get some creativity LOL. I have a bunch of manzanita left over I just dont know what to do with it. I may not even use it at all.

Last edited by rekles75; 03-07-2011 at 07:05 AM..
Old 09-15-2008, 11:08 PM   #4
epicfish
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (266/100%)

For an Iwagumi scape, the simpler the better. Have a few low rocks with character, and let the slopes of your substrate and plants do the talking.
epicfish is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-15-2008, 11:11 PM   #5
rekles75
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by epicfish View Post
For an Iwagumi scape, the simpler the better. Have a few low rocks with character, and let the slopes of your substrate and plants do the talking.
Thanks!

Thats one vote for toss the sticks.

Old 09-15-2008, 11:38 PM   #6
chizamp
Planted Member

PTrader: (6/100%)

Once the HC fills in nicely if you plant some taller stem plants around the driftwood I think it would look real nice. I look forward to seeing updates on this new scape.
chizamp is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-17-2008, 05:25 PM   #7
fish_fasinated
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (0/0%)

i'd have to vote to for go the sticks too. stick to just the rocks, they look fairly nice as it stands now. the dwarf sag i think may add something a little different to the background but im no iwagumi expert at all. also agree on sloping the substrate more too, would add more charector to the scape.
fish_fasinated is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-30-2008, 04:57 PM   #8
Karackle
Woah, I'm a Guru?!

PTrader: (16/100%)

nice start! I like the rocks, but i'm not a huge fan of the DW. I liek the look of DW in tanks but I think you need it to be more spread out, maybe some more height, as opposed to just in a bunch. Or none at all. How is the ground cover growing in?
I enjoy having a zoo to care for!
20gH Planted tank,5g Planted Betta Tank
Karackle is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-30-2008, 05:13 PM   #9
rekles75
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Ok the sticks have been gone for a while now. Nothing has really changed my HC still has not taken off. I may need more light, the bulb that comes with the light fixture was a 13w daylight 7100k, and I changed that to a 13w 10000k. I hopes this helps it been on there for a few days now.

Just wanted to point out this is not going to be iwagumi, I will have some nana petites and dwarf sag in the background and maybe some Tonias. I may also move my erios over because they are in my 55gal and my four leaf clover ( cant remember the other name "marsalia minumita" something like that) has taken over in the foreground ad overshadowed them.

In any case I may have to replace the light fixture because I cant find a bigger watt bulb, so if any one has any suggestions on a 12" long fixture I could use it would please share. I may have to go to Atlanta light bulbs and see what they have there.

Old 09-30-2008, 05:26 PM   #10
Dollface
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (77/100%)

If you're open to rearranging the rocks, I would move that one in the front behind the other two, and then move the middle one foreward a little bit. If possible you also might want to shift the rock behind the larger one so the slope is at the same angle as the larger one, and maybe move it slightly more right.

Good luck growing your HC in more, it looks like you've got some pretty good coverage going already.
Old 09-30-2008, 05:39 PM   #11
rekles75
Planted Tank Enthusiast

IDK, If I move any more rocks to the back I may lose area where I want to put other plants. Also now that I look at it I think you are right about the rock behind the bigger rock. Next time I open the top for air I will try and play around with it, although that is the natural slope of the big rock.

Old 12-02-2008, 01:52 AM   #12
rekles75
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Its been a while since I updated this thread, basically because I take terrible pics.

I changed a few things like I replaced the wood with others that I had, and I removed 2 peices of the rocks. Although you cant tell because the HC has filled in. When I planted the HC I did not know it had riccia in it and it has grown in along with the HC

I moved my briggitaes from my 10 gal to this tank

Here is the HC/Riccia mix, It will soon float to the top and I will have to replant it, but until then oh well.

Sorry for the green spot algae on the glass. I have a couple of nerites and an Otto in there, they are just taking there time cleaning up.

Well tell me what you think, I'm a big boy so I can take it.

Also does anyone know the code so that you can click the bar above the pic the make it bigger and smaller.

Old 12-02-2008, 02:20 AM   #13
merk1_99
Algae Grower

PTrader: (2/100%)

Personally I like it the way you have it now. I like the full look. What are you using for light? I have a finnex 4 with the stock light and it seems dim to me. So I am wondering if I need to upgrade wattage/fixture or if a 10k bulb will take care of it. Not looking for fast growth, just growth. Are you doing any CO2?
merk1_99 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-02-2008, 02:34 AM   #14
Ugly Genius
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (3/100%)

It looks really healthy! Good job.
Ugly Genius is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-02-2008, 03:00 AM   #15
rekles75
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by merk1_99 View Post
Personally I like it the way you have it now. I like the full look. What are you using for light? I have a finnex 4 with the stock light and it seems dim to me. So I am wondering if I need to upgrade wattage/fixture or if a 10k bulb will take care of it. Not looking for fast growth, just growth. Are you doing any CO2?

I tried to switch to a 10k bulb and the HC still wouldn't grow so I broke down and bought one of the Home Depot $20 lights and used it with the light that came with the Finnex and the HC took off. With the HD light I cut it on for 4 hours a day as a burst.

Yes I use pressurized CO2.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.