Whitespots, but not ich?
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Fish

Old 09-10-2008, 04:27 AM   #1
Minsc
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (58/100%)
Question

Whitespots, but not ich?

So... some of my Boraras brigittae's bodies have numerous white spots on them, and have for a couple days. The spots do not seem to be raised, as if they were ich, nor are the fish flashing.
In fact, the fish are all very active and hungry.

However, I have lost two in the past few days. Two of the fish have simply disappeared, no bodies. The tank is closed up very tightly, so I don't think they jumped.

Any ideas/help?
Minsc is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-10-2008, 04:49 AM   #2
jaidexl
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (42/100%)

Got a close picture?

I personally don't know of any other 'white spot' diseases except for tumors, and that's not usually something you see all over like ich. Is it multiplying?
jaidexl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2008, 04:53 AM   #3
Minsc
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaidexl View Post
Got a close picture?

I personally don't know of any other 'white spot' diseases except for tumors, and that's not usually something you see all over like ich. Is it multiplying?
I wish I could get a picture. We are talking a very small, fast, active fish in a low light tank, it is going to be difficult!

I feel as if it is multiplying, but I'm not sure yet.
Old 09-10-2008, 05:08 AM   #4
plakat
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (8/100%)

Velvet is similar to ich but usually more brownish or off white and smaller. Other than that I can't think of anything with spots.
plakat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2008, 05:09 AM   #5
jaidexl
Planted Tank Guru

Well, I usually don't recommend meds unless someone knows the culprit for sure, but I think I would give them a few days in Rid ich+, especially if they're dying anyway. It won't hurt them. That's your call, sounds like ich to me. Mine were all acting normal too, last time I had to deal with it.
Old 09-10-2008, 05:14 AM   #6
jaidexl
Planted Tank Guru

I just thought of one other thing that had me thinking ich once... sand grains. Although not something you usually find on a bunch of schoolers.

Fungus is a possibility too, but I've never personally seen it as uniform spots, some larger blotches here and there.
Old 09-10-2008, 07:09 AM   #7
Minsc
Wannabe Guru

Have you safely used Rid-Ich in a planted tank?
I don't know if I can catch these guys to put in a hospital.

I suppose I should, it is just weird, no flashing or any signs of discomfort.

I guess we'll see what tomorrow brings, and I'll try to get a picture.
Old 09-10-2008, 07:12 AM   #8
Minsc
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by plakat View Post
Velvet is similar to ich but usually more brownish or off white and smaller. Other than that I can't think of anything with spots.
The spots could be described as off white I suppose. I don't think they are any smaller than ich though. It is hard to tell, I've never had to deal with either disease before, was hoping I never would.
Old 09-10-2008, 07:56 PM   #9
jaidexl
Planted Tank Guru

Someone here says they did, I'll have to find the post and link it. I personally do all my medicating in a hospital tank, so I wouldn't know what the pros and cons are.
Old 09-10-2008, 08:00 PM   #10
jaidexl
Planted Tank Guru

Here, read this thread, plaakapong says they've never had an issue in the main tank. And please-please-PLEASE for the love of fish, read the outcome of the salt treatment here. Many will argue it works great but I have seen the same thing happen many times to many people. You will never find something so horrid resulting from the use of Rid-ich+.

http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/fi...lt-method.html

Last edited by jaidexl; 09-10-2008 at 10:30 PM.. Reason: typo
Old 09-10-2008, 09:32 PM   #11
rasetsu
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (0/0%)

Try Kordon Ich-Attack instead of Rid-Ich. It's 100% safe on planted tanks and inverts. Spots of uniform size are usually protozoan parasites. Ich-Attack will fight all protozoans and not just ich. Might want to look into a UV sterilizer too.
rasetsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2008, 04:00 PM   #12
cwilfinger
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (53/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaidexl View Post
Here, read this thread, plaakapong says they've never had an issue in the main tank. And please-please-PLEASE for the love of fish, read the outcome of the salt treatment here. Many will argue it works great but I have seen the same thing happen many times to many people.

http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/fi...lt-method.html

Yes, PLEASE do not dump the salt like I did . I have only mollys and otos left. A LOT of $$$ down the drain with the huge loss of fish.

Eheim Pimp #304
Victor Pimp #21
55gal planted, Eheim 2215,2-65w coralife 6700k cf,flourite w/super naturals tahitian moon sand, EI dosing, Angles, Ottos, Neon Tetras, SAE, Yoyo Loach
35gal high planted, Eheim 2215, 1-96w coralife6700k cf, flourite sand, RCS
2 - 10gal planted shrimp tanks
cwilfinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2008, 04:15 PM   #13
flanders
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rasetsu View Post
Try Kordon Ich-Attack instead of Rid-Ich. It's 100% safe on planted tanks and inverts. Spots of uniform size are usually protozoan parasites. Ich-Attack will fight all protozoans and not just ich. Might want to look into a UV sterilizer too.
+1. I have a couple posts where I used this successfully. I actually had fry after treatment. None of my plants were harmed, and the silicone didn't stain either, although it probably could.

The most important part of treating a parasite (if this is what you determine you have), is to continue treating until ALL life-stages are gone. Unfortunately, only the free swimming stage is susceptible to medication, so continuous treatment is necessary. You don't want the critters coming back, perhaps stronger than before. So, this entails continuing treating at least 2 days after all white spots are gone.

Little bit of rant here: Treating a parasite is similar to treating a virus with an antibiotic. You have to go all out if you want the treatment to be effective. So many people will stop taking an antibiotic when they feel "better." However, a small population of the virus survives, often resurfacing weeks later resistant to the previous antibiotic. So, whatever you use salt, meds, etc. make sure you understand the organism you are trying to get rid of.
flanders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2008, 04:22 PM   #14
flanders
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by flanders View Post

Little bit of rant here: Treating a parasite is similar to treating a virus with an antibiotic.
Hopefully my microbiology professor didn't read this. Should of said bacteria, doh.
flanders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2008, 01:46 AM   #15
Minsc
Wannabe Guru

Thanks for the help everyone.

I couldn't find any Ich attack, and ended up with Quick Cure.
Which means I am stuck catching the fish and treating in a second tank.

I am so not looking forward to catching these guys