Eheim 2026 Review
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Equipment

Old 04-28-2004, 05:06 PM   #1
equilibrium
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

About a month ago, I purchased the Eheim 2026 Pro II from Drs. Foster & Smith for $165.99 including media and intake/spraybar upgrades. I put it into use Saturday April 17th and have been holding on posting until some problems were resolved..

The overall design of the unit is great, very sleek and it appears built to last. I had some concerns about the initial setup, as this is my first canister, but it was a breeze. Everything in the included kits went together easily and the easy-prime feature couldn't be simpler. I fired it up and away it went, filtering out all stray bits of algae I had scrubbed off the tank walls.

The noise from the unit is significantly less than the previous stock Eclipse 2 filter. There is a very gentle hum from the motor, which you can only hear when you put your head near the canister. There is also a very quiet sound, which I take to be water swishing through the unit. The maint. indicator (flow ball) also makes a bit of noise, rattling back and forth in its chamber. I called Eheim North America and they have a fix for that which will be available in the next month to month and a half for North American customers. It may already be available in other countries.

The only real problem I have had was that the impeller cover broke six days after I started using the unit. There is no visible stress on the plastic. It just snapped where it inserts into the pump head frame. The filter still works quietly and the flow rate is only reduced slightly (causing the ball to rattle a little more). I contacted Eheim N.A. and they said that they have had a few complaints of this lately, perhaps from a bad batch. (My luck, sheesh..) They are sending a new one under warranty, and I'm mailing back the old one for them to inspect. Eheim and Drs. Foster & Smith have been really stand-up companies throughout all of this.

Comments/Questions?
Eheim Pimp Club Member #10
25 gal. Planted - SeaClear, Eheim 2026 Pro II, Retro Eclipse 2 hood w/1 x 65 watt CF & 2 x 15 watt NO, Hagen CO2, Eco-Complete
equilibrium is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-30-2004, 03:29 PM   #2
esterman
Algae Grower

I also have a 2026 and so far i am extreemly happy with it.I have however had a couple of minor problems you should be aware of.For some unknown reason the first time i disconected the hoses from the filter one of the valves did not seal,fortunately i caught it before too much water escaped,but i would strongly recommend removing the caps on the spray bar and intake before working on the filter.Also it appears that Eheim have some kind of coating inside the green hoses,when i reprimed some small white flakes shot out of the spray bar they did'nt seem to cause any problems but i would recommend cleaning out the hoses.Also while i found the new spraybar-intake assemblys a big impovement i felt they were a bit unsightly when installed ,my solution was to use just one section of sray bar aimed upward to provide surface movement,i then just used the right angle fitting aimed down.I have found that with this arrangement i get a nice gentle rippling on the surface, good circulation,and i only have about 6 inches of spray bar in the tank.
esterman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2004, 04:49 PM   #3
equilibrium
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by esterman
For some unknown reason the first time i disconected the hoses from the filter one of the valves did not seal,fortunately i caught it before too much water escaped,but i would strongly recommend removing the caps on the spray bar and intake before working on the filter.
I had quite a splash the first time I disconnected the hoses. Try pulling the grey lever forward WITHOUT holding the red safety catch button in. That keeps the hoses in place while allowing you to fully close the dual taps. Then press the catch release and pull the grey lever the rest of the way. The double-tap should be free with no spillage. I'm not seeing what the caps have to do with this process.

Quote:
Also it appears that Eheim have some kind of coating inside the green hoses,when i reprimed some small white flakes shot out of the spray bar they did'nt seem to cause any problems but i would recommend cleaning out the hoses.
I didn't see any of that, perhaps they've reworked those hoses.

Quote:
Also while i found the new spraybar-intake assemblys a big impovement i felt they were a bit unsightly when installed
This is a matter of personal preference. I can understand how one might see the upgrades as a little bulky. I think the grey color blends in much better than the bright green alternative, and the design is a clear improvement in terms of pure function.
25 gal. Planted - SeaClear, Eheim 2026 Pro II, Retro Eclipse 2 hood w/1 x 65 watt CF & 2 x 15 watt NO, Hagen CO2, Eco-Complete
Old 05-02-2004, 03:50 PM   #4
esterman
Algae Grower

The grey caps i am refering to are the ones on the sraybar and return where they go over the lip of the tank, if removed they prevent any water from siphoning out should the double hose assembly fail to seal when removed from the pump body.Once removed the double hose assembly should seal automaticaly,but the first time i removed mine they did not,by removing the grey caps it negates any chance of water siphoning,it may seem to be a bit of a pain in the neck to go through this procedure but believe me if one of those ball valves fail to seat its amazing how much water can escape,i speak from experiece!
esterman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2004, 06:17 PM   #5
Raul-7
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (4/100%)

Why do the Eheim "pimps" seem so discrete here?
Raul-7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2004, 01:07 AM   #6
Momotaro
Doesn't like Kool-Aid

PTrader: (52/100%)

Why do the Eheim "pimps" seem so discrete here

?????? :roll:

Why does Raul disappear for a week or so and comeback to try and stir something up??

Mike
Old 05-03-2004, 02:12 AM   #7
rumples riot
Planted Tank Enthusiast

I have had my 2026's for over two years. They have been quiet and easy to work on. I have nver seen any white flakes which is a bit odd.

The ball moving around is also a bit strange, mine does not rattle at all. The only problem I have encountered is the release of fine bubbles due to gas exchange in the canister.

Other than that, my 2026's have both perform as they were designed unlike some fo the copies that are around.

Heres one for Raul-7, why is is that most canisters on the market now look like an Eheim copy. Must be that other companies know how good the Eheim is but they just can't cut the quality.

Paul
Eheim Pimp Club member #3: Scribe to the Eheim Pimp Club

90 gallon, CO2 dupla injection, Dupla substrate heating, Dupla Laterite with iron stone substrate, Aquastarlight future 3 x 150 metal Halides, Eheim 2026 pro2's and heavily planted with Discus
rumples riot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2004, 07:46 PM   #8
equilibrium
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by esterman
The grey caps i am refering to are the ones on the sraybar and return where they go over the lip of the tank, if removed they prevent any water from siphoning out should the double hose assembly fail to seal when removed from the pump body.Once removed the double hose assembly should seal automaticaly,but the first time i removed mine they did not,by removing the grey caps it negates any chance of water siphoning,it may seem to be a bit of a pain in the neck to go through this procedure but believe me if one of those ball valves fail to seat its amazing how much water can escape,i speak from experiece!
I really think that removing the caps and letting air in the system is unnecessary. The ball valves are so sturdy I'm not sure how they would "fail" unless you repeatedly beat the double tap connector with a sledge hammer. The red lever (that locks into the grey lever) controls the ball valves, not the grey lever or the disconnection from the unit. The seal is automatic, but if you are pulling on the hoses and holding the catch before the grey lever is all the way forward, you might be able to yank it loose while the ball valves are still open. You can also open them by using the red lever after the hoses are separated from the pump head. I'm thinking you must have done one of those things.

To Raul-7 & the Eheim pimps: Would I still buy the 2026 knowing that the impeller cover would need to be replaced? Yes, the filter is quiet, sturdy, powerful, convenient, aesthetically pleasing, easy to maintain, etc. The impeller cover is a temporary issue and it still works quietly with the impeller out of place and the impeller chamber partly open!

I've never seen any flakes or fine bubbles..
Old 05-03-2004, 07:56 PM   #9
George Willms
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (10/100%)

Take that Raul!
Ehfipimp extraordinaire!
Eheim Pimp Club Recruiter, Saergant at Arms, and Enforcer.

29 and 45 gallon. 2026, 2028
My 29 gallon tank
George Willms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2004, 08:46 PM   #10
equilibrium
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by George Willms
Take that Raul!
LOL..

Update: I have received the new impeller cover and installed it. It is running so quietly now that I just checked the flow ball to make sure it was on..

Plus Eheim sent me the coolest Eheim accessory (hehe..):

Old 05-07-2004, 09:34 PM   #11
amanda huggenkiss
Planted Tank Enthusiast

I give. What the hell is it?

wannacomewith.com
amanda huggenkiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2004, 12:23 AM   #12
Momotaro
Doesn't like Kool-Aid

EFHIBOOKMARK!!!

mike
Old 05-08-2004, 01:12 AM   #13
Wasserpest
Are these real?

PTrader: (175/100%)

Awww, man... and you get those only if you mention Eheim in your sig...

*** WP, Filstar Pump, full of envy ***
Wasserpest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2004, 01:22 AM   #14
Momotaro
Doesn't like Kool-Aid

If that were only the case!

Mike
Old 05-08-2004, 02:39 AM   #15
George Willms
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (10/100%)

that's pretty cool....lol
Ehfipimp extraordinaire!
Eheim Pimp Club Recruiter, Saergant at Arms, and Enforcer.

29 and 45 gallon. 2026, 2028
My 29 gallon tank
George Willms is offline   Reply With Quote