Less than 1WPG
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > Low Tech Forum

Old 09-01-2008, 05:38 AM   #1
FarCanal
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

Less than 1WPG

G'day from Downunder,

I thought I would share this tank with you seeing how you have a "Low Tech" section. This tank started off as being my spare tank where I would keep my older large fish and a few plants that I didn't want in my display tanks but didn't want to part with either.
The tank is 120cm (4') x 37cm x 53cm that holds 200 litres. I think that converts to 45 UK Gallons or 55 US Gallons. (not a big fan of inches and gallons). It has a single T8 36W bulb over it and plain gravel. I think that works out to be 0.81 Watts per UK Gallon or 0.67 Watts per US Gallon. What ever it is I think it is certainly low light. Here's a picture of when I first started it up.

After a short while I started to notice how well the plants did in this tank even with the very low light levels. Eventually I donated the fish to my LFS and decided to clean it up a bit and try some more plants. Root feeding plants have been put in pots and seem to be doing well. Here are some current pictures, the tank has been like this for a few months and things seem to be thriving;

Some of my Favourite plants in here now are;
1. An Australian native Apontogen Tofus

2. Hygro Polysperma .. an old faithfull which I think grows best in low light

3. Mosses, Peacock & Flame

4. An Australian Native Fissidens, Berteroli

Even with this very low light level it seems to be going really well, it has become my favourite tank.
FarCanal is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-01-2008, 05:46 AM   #2
epicfish
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (266/100%)

Beautiful tank. Maybe it'll hit home that you don't need high-light/high-tech to have a great tank setup.
epicfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2008, 06:44 AM   #3
Tex Gal
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (78/100%)
Send a message via Yahoo to Tex Gal

Your tank looks great. I'm a great proponent of root tabs. I used them for years with low light and inert gravel.

95g Rimless

Tex Gal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2008, 07:44 AM   #4
hungtran10
Algae Grower

PTrader: (5/100%)

Awesome tank. Do you use any co2 injection or carbon supplementation?

- Hung

http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/ta...ut-now-hi.html

My photography collection:

http://hungtran.zenfolio.com/
hungtran10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2008, 07:49 AM   #5
SpeedEuphoria
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (1/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by epicfish View Post
Beautiful tank. Maybe it'll hit home that you don't need high-light/high-tech to have a great tank setup.
I agree, good luck tellin that to the 4wpg T5 people, lol

Nice lookin tank FarCanal!!
Understanding the basics will let you make informed decisions on what advice to follow, and what advice is just plain hooey!
VICTOR PIMP #9 VTS-253A-1993
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2641801
SpeedEuphoria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2008, 09:04 AM   #6
FarCanal
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by epicfish View Post
Yeah that's a bit of a hard learned lesson for me. This tank is my favorite now and looks better than some of my higher light tanks! Not to mention being a squillion times easier to maintain.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex Gal View Post
Your tank looks great. I'm a great proponent of root tabs. I used them for years with low light and inert gravel.
The pots started out as a bit of "Substrate Experimentation". Trying a few little experiments to see what worked best. All the ferns and mosses are tied to small little pieces of wood so I can remove them and gravel clean the substrate. This is my only tank that I still use a gravel cleaner on and it's actually good. Helps keep this tank spotless. I've also assumed the gravel maybe to thin and the pebble size to large for effective root tabs. I'm a fan of root tabs and use them in other tanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hungtran10 View Post
Awesome tank. Do you use any co2 injection or carbon supplementation?

- Hung
Yes I use one of those Red Sea DIY kits recommended for 60L (small) tanks which does about 1 bubble every 3 seconds. The only think is I now use a inline diffuser as it's more shrimp friendly. I did this tank without CO2 for quite a while but find it much easier for algae control with CO2. Haven't had to clean the glass in months.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpeedEuphoria View Post
I agree, good luck tellin that to the 4wpg T5 people, lol

Nice lookin tank FarCanal!!
Cheers Mate, looks like I've finally found some like minded people here. I'm a member of a few forums and get sick to death of hearing "My plants don't grow do I need more light?" .. drives me up the wall! I used to have the nickname of the Gremlin that hated Bright lights when in School .... must be rubbing off on my tanks as well. You're flogging a dead horse when telling some people that low light is easier to grow plants.

Gee I hope you guys don't mind the use of Aussie Slang?
Old 09-01-2008, 10:31 AM   #7
Kolkri
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (2/100%)

Aww you had my attention till you said you do CO2. lol Still a great looking tank.
Old 09-01-2008, 01:09 PM   #8
FarCanal
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kolkri View Post
Aww you had my attention till you said you do CO2. lol Still a great looking tank.
Like I said, I've done it without CO2 but it's better with. Less Algae, more plant growth. I wouldn't have thought that a bit of sugar, yeast and water would make it "not low tech"??

Once I saw the difference even a small amount of CO2 makes I was not about to stop using it. You've got me wondering why anyone who is into aquatic plants would not use CO2?

Actually I should post the first tank I did, it was without CO2 but the light level was fractionally higher than 1 WPG (1.1WPG). It was a Java Fern only tank, no ferts, plain gravel, here's a pic of that one;

That tank wasn't as low maintenance as this current one. Had to clean the glass regularly ... I hate that these days.
Old 09-01-2008, 07:42 PM   #9
redfalconf35
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (8/100%)

Your tank looks tons better than mine when it was at .67wpg(US)! It goes to show that with proper planning, you can make a great tank with most any equipment.
redfalconf35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2008, 09:58 PM   #10
Crystalview
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (20/100%)

In pic 4.("An Australian Native Fissidens, Berteroli"). I don't recognize the fissiden, Do you have other pictures of it? I love fissiden and am always on the look out for more. What is it's growing habit? Want to sell some?
75g, pair of gold rams , 5 1" ABN, 1- 5"discus, 2oto's, 12ADF's,8 Assin snails plus babies, 96w 6700k-light 6hrs raised, No C02, Excel, EI dry macro's and micro's, Eheim 2126, 18w UV, 2 Nano 270 powerhead. wall of bubbles for more O2 for such a deep tank.
Crystalview is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2008, 10:43 PM   #11
Wasserpest
Are these real?

PTrader: (175/100%)

Love the Bolbitis, so nice and compact. Mine tends to grow huge.

Low light and CO2 is a good combination, this tank shows it.
Wasserpest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2008, 11:39 PM   #12
dr.tran
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (76/98%)

How just how? I'm gonna watch this thread closely

My 29 gal tank

blackworms culture methods
dr.tran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2008, 12:17 AM   #13
FarCanal
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crystalview View Post
In pic 4.("An Australian Native Fissidens, Berteroli"). I don't recognize the fissiden, Do you have other pictures of it? I love fissiden and am always on the look out for more. What is it's growing habit? Want to sell some?
Crystalview - It is a very interesting plant indeed, one that seems to have been lost to the hobby and only recently rediscovered. I just checked for the proper spelling and it's FISSIDENS BERTERO1 Here's a link to the Australian Forum where it's rediscovery unfolded.
http://aquariumlife.com.au/showthread.php?t=5524
You will need to register to read it but it will be worth it to read that alone. My name on that Forum is BrianS. And if you want, someone else has just recently discovered something that looks very similar, it could be the same plant. Here's that thread
http://aquariumlife.com.au/showthread.php?t=8670
As for selling, it's being distrubuted amongst members on that site but I don't think anyone is selling it commercially. You may want to float a thread there to see if anyone can export some. I'm not sure what's involved with exporting plants.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wasserpest View Post
Love the Bolbitis, so nice and compact. Mine tends to grow huge.

Low light and CO2 is a good combination, this tank shows it.
I've been keeping Bolbitis for around 6 years now. For me it had always stayed quite small and just seemed to grow thicker. Since I've upgrade my filters and put this plant in higher current it has started growing bigger fronds. It's very thick in there and a bit of a surprise just how regularly I have to thin it out considering the light.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dr.tran View Post
How just how? I'm gonna watch this thread closely
I'm surprised, in a very pleasant way, just how well the plants are growing in this tank. I never initially had any intention on having it as a scape but patience has paid off. I'm looking at my other tanks now and wondering if I'm doing them all wrong. It's my favourite tank now and I don't want to change anything for fear of disturbing it.

I've recently added another small Val species to see how it will go, it was collected here in Australia and maybe Val Gracilis (sp?). I would love it to be a good low light ground cover, time will tell.
Old 09-02-2008, 02:35 AM   #14
Crystalview
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (20/100%)

I googled your Fissidens and they are on the endangered list for NZ not sure if they are endangered in AUS. I did find a list of fissidens that I knew nothing about. Not all are submerged varieties.

http://www.catalogueoflife.org/annua...ed_taxon=79833

In the pic they showed they say that Fissidens Strictus is very similar

I will now go and read Aquariumlife to see what is says
75g, pair of gold rams , 5 1" ABN, 1- 5"discus, 2oto's, 12ADF's,8 Assin snails plus babies, 96w 6700k-light 6hrs raised, No C02, Excel, EI dry macro's and micro's, Eheim 2126, 18w UV, 2 Nano 270 powerhead. wall of bubbles for more O2 for such a deep tank.
Crystalview is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2008, 01:49 PM   #15
seAdams
Planted Tank Obsessed

Wow. Very very nice. When I had 1wpg, all I could maintain was Java Moss. CO2 seems to be the answer!

In the second pic down, what is that very fern-y looking plant filling in the right side of the tank?
seAdams is offline   Reply With Quote