opinions on all glass triple tube hood
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Lighting

Old 04-23-2004, 04:45 AM   #1
nightowl
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

Hi, I'm hoping for some opinions. I have a 55 gallon tank and I want to grow some low light plants. The tank has been established for about 5 years now with a pearl gouami, 5 rasboras, 5 cory cats, and 2 ottos. I've had plastic plants till I got a bunch of real plants last week from someone kind enough to give me her extras and clippings - green hygrophilia, brown cryptocoryne, cryptocorne lutea, java fern, asian ambulia, corkscrew val, anubias barteri, some type of sword plant, and water sprite. I only have the two single 15 watt lights that came with my tank. I know I need more light even to grow low light plants. I've been reading the forum here for the last few nights till my head is spinning. I've learned a lot but am still not sure how I want to upgrade my lighting. I don't want to make my own hood, and I don't want to retrofit anything (I'm not a diy'er when it comes to wiring stuff) I'd like to just buy a ready made hood. I was considering the new triple tube hood by All-Glass. http://www.all-glass.com/products/hoods/index.html Would this be a good choice?? I haven't seen anyone mentioning them in other posts. It's hard to tell how many wpg that would be. I'm not concerned about the cost. I'm kind of intimidated by some of the other types of lighting discussed here since I'm very unfamiliar with it. I'ts kind of confusing.

Also, I just have small (but not "fine") regular gravel. Should I add/mix in some laterite so that my plants can get iron? I've read where low light tanks with no C02 shouldn't get extra liquid fertilizers added, but what about the plants that like a "rich substrate", wouldn't my plants need an iron source. I'm reluctant to use fertilizer tabs for fear of an attack of green water if they get disturbed.

Any suggestions, opinions or recommendations would be hugely appreciated. Thanks
nightowl is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-23-2004, 04:06 PM   #2
equilibrium
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

I didn't see any wattage on the AGA triple tube strip light either. It might work, depending on wattage. I personally lean toward compact flourescent strip lights. AGA also makes those and they use the popular GE 9325K bulbs. A lot of people swear by them for plant growth, but other dislike the pink hue. You might also look at a Coralife Aqualight. They have a 2 x 65 W light ~6700K that would probably work well for you. Make sure you are looking at the freshwater version.

Some of the plants you listed would really benefit from nutrients in the substrate, especially the sword. Although 5 years of mulm would probably be enough for most. I don't think a low dose of Flourish or something similar would have any negative effects.
Eheim Pimp Club Member #10
25 gal. Planted - SeaClear, Eheim 2026 Pro II, Retro Eclipse 2 hood w/1 x 65 watt CF & 2 x 15 watt NO, Hagen CO2, Eco-Complete
equilibrium is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.