30g low tech Journal: NEW PICS! Scape advice? - Page 53
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > Tank Journals

Old 05-02-2011, 06:59 PM   #781
Karackle
Woah, I'm a Guru?!

PTrader: (16/100%)

I'm sure everything will be fine! That is perfect because I have my first final weds and it ends at 4 so I should be home right around when the mail arrives! Thanks again! YAYAYAYAYAY!!!!

And thanks, yes, getting pics is TRICKY, i definitely need to get the correct length light on this tank though, i think that will help me with my dark edges (and get something to finally grow in that right corner!). BUT what I usually do it put them camera on a tripod (or on a stack of boxes ) so i can have a longer exposure time and still get a clear picture. I set the white balance to fluorescent which works on this camera, but on my old camera it was either the "dusk" or "dawn" setting that gave me the best shots, so play around with those too. That's my best advice. I did NOT use a tripod this time which is why the pics are blurry

Yeah I actually can't believe how quickly the bolbitis is growing! there's one piece of rhizome that isn't attached to the wood and it is pushing the plant forward a bit, I had planned to tied it back down to correct that, but now i'm thinking the plant is growing so well I might just cut it off and put it in Ian's 60g! I also can't believe how well the hygro is doing! I love it! It is actually growing so well it's blocking the tall crypt from being seen! LOL I'm going to have to do some rearranging so the crypt is visible also!
I enjoy having a zoo to care for!
20gH Planted tank,5g Planted Betta Tank
Karackle is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-02-2011, 07:42 PM   #782
sewingalot
I ♥ BBA!

PTrader: (112/100%)

Haha, it is. I didn't even notice the crypt before that. That would be a good idea to put a piece of that in Ian's tank. Then you can spread the plant around for more growth. I am sick to my stomach worrying about those poor fish and shrimp, lol. I <3 my fishies so much it's funny at times. I won't even sell the shrimp in the S&S because I am picky on who gets any of them. I want to know you are a good fish keeper first.

Anywho, thanks for the camera advice. I practiced a bit and it seems to help somewhat. I think it's going to take some time.
Old 05-05-2011, 02:17 AM   #783
Karackle
Woah, I'm a Guru?!

MY FISH AND SHRIMP ARRIVED FROM SARA TODAY! WOOHOO!

Everyone arrived happy and healthy! The guppies, endlers and yellow shrimp are AWESOME! i'm so excited!

I had orginally planned to put the shrimp in the 5g, but I did a water parameter check before starting the acclimation and found that there were some issues (see that thread for details) so i decided to put the shrimp in this tank.

Anyway, of course I took a bunch of pictures, so here they are!

First up, the acclimation tank:

All the fish gathered in this corner:

and all the shrimp gathered in this corner in the floating plants (you can see a few if you look closely):

The SUPER pregnant female guppy (i'm glad to say the trip didn't stress her into dropping her babies early):

This little guy adventured away from the group and I was able to get a couple shots of him:

Oh yeah and Sara sent me a TON of this Hydrocotyle (or however you spell that ):

Old 05-05-2011, 02:28 AM   #784
Karackle
Woah, I'm a Guru?!

And a few pics of the fish and shrimp in their new home:

I ended up moving this lady to the 10g because the male was pestering her and I decided she didn't need the added stress, she is living with the WCMMs temporarily

Of course, I came home from my walk a couple hours later and found one red shrimp in the tank, I had moved them to my 10g and have been keeping an eye out for more in case i decided to put the shrimp in the 30g instead of the 5g.......silly shrimpies! I plucked him out and moved him to the 10g with his red buddies, but once i get the 5g stabilized, I'll pull a couple of the yellows back out and move them to the 5g to keep the populations separate, but i'll leave a few in the 30g too in case there are more reds and see what happens

And a couple pics of the Hydrocotyle in the 30g, this is only a small portion about it, about a 1/3, the rest is in the 5g and 10g tanks, as I unraveled the ball of plants I realized there was a TON!

Wrapped some around the wood:

Stuck some in the corner by the filter but apparently forgot to take a pictures (will remedy that soon) and I let some float:

And just for fun, this ember "got in the way" of taking pics of the guppies, but it's a good ember pic so I figured I'd post it too :

I think that's all for now, enjoy and thanks for looking!
Old 05-05-2011, 02:36 AM   #785
sewingalot
I ♥ BBA!

I'M SO HAPPY THEY ARRIVED ALIVE AND HEALTHY; I'M SHOUTING IT FROM THE ROOFTOP!

That is crazy funny how they segregated themselves into the corners like that. Except for the lone brave shrimp. We'll say he was the peacemaker. Overall, they have always left the shrimp alone so you should be fine keeping them together as long as you don't forget to feed the gobbleguts.

I am glad you could home them. And you know what? I think I just figured it out. My bettas are acting so weird because they are almost alone in the tank. I bet they are feeling vulnerable. Awwww. Poor fish.

Shhhhh.....don't tell Chad about the hydrocotyle sibthorpioides. He'll get sad that I sent it all to you. I like the halo of plants on the driftwood, lol. Unraveled huh? I told you it was a lot.

Hope you enjoy them! They look happy in their new home. Just think in a year you'll be cursing me for the guppies.

I am glad to see that the shrimp is still berried. She is probably less than a week from dropping the babies.

By the way, this is great! So many pictures from you and non-c! I think I need to go and edit that comment out of my journal to just say 'Amy.'
Old 05-05-2011, 05:55 PM   #786
Karackle
Woah, I'm a Guru?!

I'm very happy too!!! Hahaha yeah I was chuckling at the goofballs hiding in their corners, I guess it made them more comfortable, except for the one adventurer I am glad I could give them a home too, I probably will be cursing you for guppies in a year, but for now, I love them (actually I plan to get some zebra danios to help keep the population at bay, and there's plenty of room in the 60g for more fish, so it might be more like 2 years until I'm cursing you )

Poor Bettas! they don't have friends anymore! Well I guess you better just get them so new friends soon!

Hahaha oops, sorry Chad, I stole it all And yes there was a TON, it's awesome, it will help restore balance in the 5 and fill in some areas in the 10 and 30 perfect! And i'm trying it in a few places in the 30, but I think it will do well wrapped around that piece of DW because it will get extra light there. That was part of the thinking behind placing it there, the other part was that I think it look cool

Good eye on that berried shrimp! She was just the only one wandering around for me to take a picture of, everyone else was hiding But yes, she is still berried, thanks for sending me a berried lady, that was very nice of you!!! I'll have to keep an eye on the filter for babies, i have mesh over the filter to prevent the little fish from getting sucked in, but newly dropped shrimp are SO TINY....that reminds me....i should check the filter in the 10g and get a prefilter on there.....

HAHAHAHA yeah that's right! I don't deserve to be in the no pics category

Oh and in case you see this thread AquaStudent, the stocking in here now is I'm down to 3 CPDs, 3 boraras, and 5 or so ember tetras, and now I have about 10 guppies that Sara sent me, a fully adult male and female, a few juvies and a few babies, 3 endlers and 10 or so yellow shrimp It's nice to see so many fish swimming in the tank again!!! And I think I'm going to get a few more CPDs and a couple zebra danios (for population control) in a couple weeks once the biofilter catches up with the new fish
Old 05-05-2011, 10:44 PM   #787
sewingalot
I ♥ BBA!

Glad you are mucho happy, Kara. And I am so relieved they are alive and well. I don't think I am good at shipping things. It stresses me out too much. LOL. Only for friends will I go through the pain of shipping live animals for now.

Oh, and guess what? I was cleaning out my filter last night and found a guppy fry. LOL. I can't win.

Can't wait to see the FTS!
Old 05-06-2011, 09:24 PM   #788
chad320
Planted Tank VIP

PTrader: (101/100%)

THIEF!!! At least now I know who has it I will be pestering you for some once it starts to annoy you in your tanks.

Everything looks good. Hopefully you are better at those shrimp than Sara or I were. I am the worst. And they are supposed to be an "Easy" shrimp. I cant wait to see this fill in some more. Are you needing/wanting anything else before I send out the moss Monday?
Old 05-10-2011, 03:20 AM   #789
Karackle
Woah, I'm a Guru?!

Sara, thanks! I am definitely mucho happy.....and confused because I thought I already replied to this post! You should feel better about shipping things now that you've done it successfully a few times

Hahahaha oh no! more guppies! you need some zebrafish or bettas or something to help with population control

Chad - hahaha yes, I take the blame, I'm the thief I'd be happy to send you some when (if) it starts taking over my tanks, and I'm sorry I didn't see your post before today, but I don't think I needed anything else, but thanks for the offer Thanks again for the moss though, I can't wait to get it!
Old 05-10-2011, 04:14 PM   #790
Karackle
Woah, I'm a Guru?!

Totally forgot to mention last night that I came home from a long weekend away visiting the fam and everyone looks happy, healthy and swimming a lot! Saw a saddled female yellow shrimpie too! (I supposed it's possible that's the berried female but I think she looks a bit smaller than the berried girl.....hard to say without seeing them next to each other though )
Old 05-10-2011, 11:46 PM   #791
sewingalot
I ♥ BBA!

Probably a different shrimp. The female that was berried wasn't ready to drop eggs any time soon and the younger females were starting to saddle up when I sent them to you. Glad everyone is doing well! Thanks again for taking those guppies. The sole survivor guppy in the filter didn't make it and neither did the remain cherries during the move. Stupid me didn't think to separate them and they became fish food.
Old 05-11-2011, 04:52 AM   #792
Karackle
Woah, I'm a Guru?!

Oh no! not fish food! Sorry to hear it! Well if you ever want any extraordinary, not ordinary common guppies back, just let me know! Same for shrimpies, my RCS seem to be doing well in the 10 And I'm happy to have rehomed them!

And I agree, I doubt it's mama that I saw, which makes me happy that I have another saddled lady!

I hit a snafu with getting those pics I promised......we were trying to fix some plumbing under the sink....the p-trap popped off right when we were trying to run the dishwasher before leaving on Friday......thanks goodness we noticed it before walking out the door and could shut off the dishwasher! But that meant that I was trying to fix it instead of taking pics tonight after getting home late and taking my walk......but I have a few weeks off of classes and studying so I should have time at some point this week, if not tomorrow to get the promised pics!
Old 05-11-2011, 04:29 PM   #793
sewingalot
I ♥ BBA!

Hahaha, what is it with you and plumbing this year? It sucks, but it's kind of funny, too. Poor thing.

That is too cool on the shrimp saddling up already. They must like you.

Glad the RCS are enjoying their new home. Speaking of which, did you find anymore in the 30 gallon? And how are the parameters on the 5?
Old 05-12-2011, 04:10 AM   #794
Karackle
Woah, I'm a Guru?!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sewingalot View Post
Hahaha, what is it with you and plumbing this year? It sucks, but it's kind of funny, too. Poor thing.
Hahahaha it IS kinda funny, and now I got the sink fixed, so that's good. Can finally run the dishwasher and then reload it with the dishes that have been piling up since we got back

Quote:
Originally Posted by sewingalot View Post
That is too cool on the shrimp saddling up already. They must like you.

Glad the RCS are enjoying their new home. Speaking of which, did you find anymore in the 30 gallon? And how are the parameters on the 5?
I'm so excited, the shrimp are looking good! And I think they're settling in because each time I've peeked in the tank today I've spotted at least 3 of them at once instead of having to search the tank for just 1, I'm hoping the fact that they're out of hiding means they're happy!

And no, I haven't seen any more RCS in here yet so I'm hoping it stays that way since it's looking like I won't be able to move them to the 5g any time too soon.
Old 05-13-2011, 04:03 AM   #795
Karackle
Woah, I'm a Guru?!

Pictures as promised!!! (Sara has been putting me to shame, so these are for you! )

FTS:

Slightly closer ups from left to right:

And some close-ups:

And check out these roots! :

I'll try to get more with a tripod this weekend and get some less blurry shots Also I have my old camera for a bit (i had passed it on to my mom when I got my new camera, forgot my new camera when i went home for my nephew's first birthday, took pics with the old camera and had to bring it home with me to load them on the computer ) Anyway, I think it might take better pics than the new camera so I'm going to try to set up the tripod and get pics with each camera and let you guys decide

Tags
journal, photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.