30g low tech Journal: NEW PICS! Scape advice? - Page 52
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > Tank Journals

Old 04-25-2011, 05:50 PM   #766
Karackle
Woah, I'm a Guru?!

PTrader: (16/100%)

Just a quick update (sorry no pics!) the tank is looking good, my bioload is getting low as fish slowly die off of old age (tank parameters and everything are looking really good, no signs of disease and they are tiny fish that i've had for over 3 years so I'm chalking it up to old age). And the tank has the most plant mass it's had in a LONG time which, as we planted tankers know, makes for a nice healthy tank, so I think old age is the most likely culprit.

THEREFORE i'm looking for some ideas for new stocking options. I'm thinking harlequin rasboras but i haven't decided yet for sure, so i'm open to any and all thoughts!

I'll try to get pics up ASAP because the tank is really filling in, can't believe how much the bolbitis and hygro have grown!
I enjoy having a zoo to care for!
20gH Planted tank,5g Planted Betta Tank
Karackle is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-26-2011, 11:35 PM   #767
sewingalot
I ♥ BBA!

PTrader: (112/100%)

CPDs! Only because I love them and I refuse to buy more. Harlequins sound nice, but I am not sold on them only because I've seen a ton of tanks with them and it seems over done. Probably is old age from what you are explaining about the fish. Looking forward to the pictures. I am glad to hear the plants are growing well for you!
Old 04-27-2011, 01:49 PM   #768
Karackle
Woah, I'm a Guru?!

I would definitely love to just load up the tank with CPDs, I just wish they weren't so bloody expensive! I'm a poor grad student I would definitely like to get at least a few more in here, but they're little and it's a 30g, so I need something else as well (unless you know where I can get like 40 CPDs for $20 )

I know a lot of people have Harlequins, but I do like that coral color. I could go with more embers, but they are also a bit $$ for me right now (i was working when i first stocked this tank and had a bit more expendable income :tongue). My tanks are very green because of the low light which is why I really like the contrast of the coral colored fish which is why I thought of the Harlequins, but I am certainly open to other suggestions! I think the plants will do even better if I get this tank more heavily stocked, I have a couple extra dollars at the moment thanks to tax returns, so hit me with your ideas and maybe we can come up with a stocking plan!
Old 04-27-2011, 11:03 PM   #769
sewingalot
I ♥ BBA!

Haha, if I could find 40 CPDs for $20, I'd give them another shot. LMAO! Poor college girl that will be a rich college scientist grad in the near future. Know what is funny? I was thinking about the Harlequins and googled them on youtube and now I am thinking that is a good choice. Especially after seeing this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s_zhP...eature=related They just scream KARA! LOL. (We are obsessed with smileys when talking with each other, and lols and hahas! )

These are cute: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xslp8kkVk6E
Old 04-27-2011, 11:53 PM   #770
Gotcha38
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

I've wanted some Harlequins since I started seeing pictures like this.

Gotcha38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2011, 03:27 AM   #771
Karackle
Woah, I'm a Guru?!

Cool Videos Sara, and totally cool picture Gotcha!

Sara - I think I like the regular Harlequins better, they have a bit more color, but coppers definitely have a certain charm

So right now I'm thinking of getting some more CPDs and a bunch of Harlequins. I've been jonesing for some guppies recently too, but I'm not sure if I want to deal with the breeding right now

I'm still open to suggestions though since I probably won't be able to get to the fish store for a bit longer
Old 04-28-2011, 03:36 AM   #772
sewingalot
I ♥ BBA!

Want some extraordinary common hybrid guppies? I have a bunch of babies/semi adults I'm trying to get rid of lately. Help! And I recently got some endlers (in a seperate tank) juvies that I can share with you once they breed.

Yeah, I like the plainer type fish. I don't like fish to be prettier than me. Haha.
Old 04-28-2011, 04:36 AM   #773
Karackle
Woah, I'm a Guru?!

heehee I think I might just take you up on that, but only if they are extraordinary, ordinary, common guppies And I'll probably take you up on a few of those endlers once they start breeding too This tank could definitely use some more bioload!
Old 04-28-2011, 04:52 AM   #774
sewingalot
I ♥ BBA!

Muhahahaha! I am invading your house with collectoritis, BBA and guppies now! I'll get some supplies gathered up. I'll even clean out my filters for babies.
Old 04-28-2011, 04:56 AM   #775
TwoStrokeKing
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)

U have came a long way! nice tank!!

You Hit The Power Band On A Two Stroke And Tell Me How You Feel.
TwoStrokeKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2011, 04:27 AM   #776
Karackle
Woah, I'm a Guru?!

Hahaha it's true Sara, but it's ok, I like me some guppies YAY!

Thanks TwoStroke!

Sorry there are still no pics.....i was planning to take them tonight, but then we noticed that there was water in our basement......we think the basin that our washer drains into overflowed. UGH! so that was super fun to clean up.....we had to put up all of the rubber mat "tiles" because the water was under them. By the time we finished cleaning it up, the lights were off and i was too frustrated anyway. Pics to come soon though, I promise!

Also, Ian discovered a new fish store, he drove by it and it looked promising so I went over to check it out today and potentially pick up some fish, but it turns out it's basically an all salt water fish store. Sigh. I was hoping it could be my LFS because I still haven't found a good one. I went to another pet store (non chain) to check out their stock, I saw some harlequins that looked good, there was one tank of juvies and one tank that had about 6 adults and the adults definitely have lovely color, so I think I'm sold on these guys. I didn't pick any up though because this place sort of over crowds their tanks and isn't good about pulling the dead fish out. My local petco has a REALLY clean fish section, and I think i'd almost be more comfortable getting fish there, or just as comfortable at either place. I think I might need to go back to my old thread from when I first moved to NJ and just make the drive to one of the places that's sort of far away. I miss my old LFS so much!
Old 04-29-2011, 08:34 AM   #777
sewingalot
I ♥ BBA!

I wish we had a good pet store. We used to have a decent one, but the fabulous fish guy left and the new people do not take care of the fish. Luckily, I have people on this site I can get livestock from, but I miss being able to go and look at fish....Hope you find a good source locally soon.
Old 04-29-2011, 03:07 PM   #778
Karackle
Woah, I'm a Guru?!

Yeah, I miss the LFS that was by me when I live in NY, they took AMAZING care of their fish, asked you about what kind of tank you were putting the fish in you requested, what other fish were in there etc. etc. Everyone was super knowledgeable. And I got to know a few of the people that worked there full time and it was always just so nice going in there. And they had so many nice tanks it was like going to the aquarium The other awesome thing was that they QT'd all the fish before putting them in the display / sell tanks so I could bring fish home and put them straight in my tank without having to worry at ALL. Sigh. Generally speaking, they had good prices too. But even for the few fish that were slightly more expensive (like otos) it was worth it, because I knew I was getting otos that were more likely to survive because they'd already been quarantined (which is probably why they cost more, because the store had lost 50% during QT)

ANYWAY......I hope I find a good LFS soon too!

I'd like to get like 6 harlequins to put in QT in the 5g to keep the cycle going in there, they should be ready to move over to this tank a little after I get the Guppies from Sara. I don't want to stock too quickly because because the bioload in this tank is SO LOW at this point, that I need to stock slowly to let the beneficial bacteria catch up.

Anyway.....that's the plan at the moment. I do also want to get some more CPDs in here so I'll work on that too.
Old 05-02-2011, 04:03 AM   #779
Karackle
Woah, I'm a Guru?!

Just a couple of quick pictures, I'll get more (and better ones) soon, I had just done a water changes and didn't get the tripod out, so I apologize that some of them are blurry

Anyway, enjoy!

FTS the bolbitis, hygro and tall crypt (i forget what kind it is again lol) are filling in really nicely!!!:

and closer shots from left to right of the tank:

thanks for looking and as always, all questions, comments, suggestions, etc. are welcome!
Old 05-02-2011, 12:41 PM   #780
sewingalot
I ♥ BBA!

That hygro is growing great for you. And here you were worried. I am super jealous of the bolbitis. The dern thing gave me a few puny looking leaves and it is doing fantastic for you. Tank looks good and low tech. I like it. I am now seeing why you have a hard time getting good pictures. Ever since I turned off the one set of lights (and later broke them, lol) I can't get a decent shot. You actually do a good job. Any tips? Haha.

The fish and shrimp are on there way! I am hoping they arrive safe and sound. Oh, and I think I put in five bags, so be sure to dig around in the box for them all. I was actually at the post office before they opened. He said they should get there Wednesday so let's hope they do and are still alive. I'm soooooooooo nervous.

Tags
journal, photos