30g low tech Journal: NEW PICS! Scape advice? - Page 5
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > Tank Journals

Old 08-22-2008, 02:19 PM   #61
Karackle
Woah, I'm a Guru?!

PTrader: (16/100%)

melonz - Thanks so much! And thanks again for the plants, they added some much needed different shades of color and were just the finishing touch I think i needed!
I enjoy having a zoo to care for!
20gH Planted tank,5g Planted Betta Tank
Karackle is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-22-2008, 03:09 PM   #62
ZooTycoonMaster
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (31/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karackle View Post
Oh Also, Zoo - yeah i love my bubble walls! When you're not adding CO2 I think they really help, it's one of the few explanations I can think of as to why I get such good growth in such low light in my tanks? And I like the look!

That said, this one is a little out of control, the pump is a bit strong, i think i need to add a nozzle and turn it down a bit :-P
Quote:
Originally Posted by Karackle View Post
ANYWAY here are some pictures (i turned off the bubble wall for pictures so the plants stand out better)!
I forgot to mention, you should have gotten an adjustable gang valve when you were at the LFS
Eheim Pimp #341

ZooTycoonMaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2008, 09:04 PM   #63
Karackle
Woah, I'm a Guru?!

Talking Fish Arrived!

WAHOO! MY FISH ARRIVED TODAY!

I got my 15 boraras brigittae and 15 ember tetras today! And BOY ARE THEY TINY! I'm so happy, they were well packed and no DOAs! (thanks milalic! One of them got a little bit stuck in the bag while I was dumping them into the container for drip-acclimation, so I hope he's ok! Anyway they're a bit pale right now so i'm not even sure who's who but they're currently drip-acclimating! YAY!

Here's some pictures:

Well packed with a foam lined box in breather bags and newspaper padding:

Group one (i think these are the embers)

Group two (therefore i think these are the B. brigittae)

I stuck a bottle cap under this container (little hard to see) so you get an idea of how teeny these guys are

And Drip acclimating

the 2 containers are in a 5g bucket for overflow, and where I'll put them all once they've gotten used to the water some and I've siphoned out some of the plant material that's in there (the debris is plants, not poop)

Also, that's a dime in the container for another size reference!

Also, I've started using those "in line" airline gang valves for drip acclimating, I was using the "tie a knot" method, but this is much easier! And it's cheap!
Old 08-23-2008, 12:10 AM   #64
Karackle
Woah, I'm a Guru?!

Well, over 3 hours later, i added the little guys to my tank, they are tiny babies and right now they're quite pale, but I had to take pictures! They're all schooling together at the moment! The sparkling gourami and pygmy cories are completely unsure what to make of the intruders, the bamboo shrimp is just doing his thing, oblivious

They were zooming around too fast not to use a flash so they're not the best pictures but here you go:

In this last one you can see the Gourami and one of the Cories in the middle of the school
Old 08-23-2008, 12:14 AM   #65
Karackle
Woah, I'm a Guru?!

Oh also, I decided not to QT these guys because my only tank (barely) big enough for them is my 5g that has 3 Ottos and is planted and I thought it might be impossible to get them back out, there's not too many other fish in the tank so it's a calculated risk....i'd either be putting the Otos or the 30g inhabitants "at risk" and this way there's one less move.

In other news (I forgot to mention this earlier) my Gourami is coming out MUCH more now and he even recognizes that when I come over to the tank he might be getting food! He came out from his hiding area when I walked over to the tank this evening he came out to greet me at the glass and when I knelt down he swam to the bottom and followed me up to the top when I stood back up! heehee! he's so cute!
Old 08-23-2008, 12:17 AM   #66
Karackle
Woah, I'm a Guru?!

Wow! They've only been in the tank ~20 mins and they're already starting to color up nicely! Both species are truly stunning little fish! The embers are much redder/pinker than I thought they would be, they match the brigittae really well! I'll give them a bit longer to adjust and then feed them, i'm sure they're hungry!

*edit* an hour after they've been in the tank I gave them baby brine shrimp and they went just NUTS for it!
Old 08-23-2008, 02:30 AM   #67
skoorbza
Planted Member

PTrader: (4/100%)

So glad your fishies made it safely! Hooray!

Your 'scape is looking nice. I would like to be forthright, tho, and there is something... I usually like to give clear and specific feedback for people to ignore ( ), but... hm.

It's almost like it's too busy? My eyes don't have a place to settle. Is the focal point the driftwood? The group of flat stones? The lace rock formation? The large central plant? Beautiful elements, all.

Hm.

There is a great possibility that when the foliage has grown in, a natural focal point will emerge. Very possible. I can't specify a change right now... But there's something....

This is one reason I stare at my tiny tank for hours. Looking for the piece that doesn't fit.

Really nice job, and I'm sure that my eyes will settle just fine when the tank itself is more settled!!
skoorbza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2008, 02:57 AM   #68
Karackle
Woah, I'm a Guru?!

HAHAHAHAHAHA ok....my fishies are having identity crises So I was staring at my new fish (like ya do) and at first for a while they were all hanging out in the left corner, then I fed them and they all ate, and then bellies full, the Embers decided to go exploring as a group. So I'm watching them swim across the tank and I notice one little Rasbora that decided to tag along with the group, silly little thing. Then I was looking at the left corner and the rasboras were mostly hiding behind the plants in that corner, but there was one little ember swimming around in front of them looking confused. After a while, the embers went back over to the left corner. I came back into the room a little while later and the embers were out exploring again, still with 1 rasbora tagging along, and there were about 3 embers that stayed behind with the rasboras. I came back in again a little later and the embers were out exploring some more, this time with about 3 rasboras in tow. Silly fishies. They're so tiny and similarly colored they don't know who to hang with! Well...most of them get it right....some of them are confused. or perhaps there's a couple braver rasboras, and a couple more shy embers Who knows, but they're certainly fun to watch!!!

Skoorbza Thanks! I'm glad they made it safely too! Thanks for the compliment, thanks for the critique though too, I do actually agree with you. I think the DW was a better focal point before I did the rescape....I'm thinking actually that adding moss to the ends of it made it blend more and stand out less. Perhaps that's the problem? I was hoping putting the sword in the center would help pull the focus to that part of the tank....perhaps your right that it just needs to all fill in some more. I think I'll let it grow for a while and see what happens....if it's growing in nicely but the focal point is still not clear (or worse becomes LESS clear) I'll think about rescaping then ....speaking of rescaping....that reminds me i have to go replant a piece of cabomba...thanks for the reminder!
Old 08-23-2008, 03:23 AM   #69
Karackle
Woah, I'm a Guru?!

woah! just had a scare! One of the little guys got stuck in the filter intake....there's like a double intake prefilter thing and he went up the first part and got stuck at the second one, when i pulled the pieces apart he swam free quite easily so i hoping hoping he'll be ok! Just rigged up an unsightly fix, i figure as long as it works, they're babies and i'll be able to take it off eventually. Might get something a little better looking for the time being...we'll see...
Old 08-26-2008, 03:20 PM   #70
Karackle
Woah, I'm a Guru?!

Well, my fish are coloring up quite nicely! I wanted to take some pictures to show how pretty these guys are but my camera batteries died before I could get a good shot and I didn't have time to hunt down more. I did manage to get a couple shots that show the color of the B. brigittae quite well even though they're blurry so I thought I would post those.

Enjoy!

I'll try to get some better shots of them and some shots of the ember tetras this evening when the batteries have charged!
Old 08-26-2008, 07:48 PM   #71
Chrisinator
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (31/100%)

I love your fishy!
Chrisinator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2008, 08:29 PM   #72
Karackle
Woah, I'm a Guru?!

Thanks! They're cool little guys!
Old 08-26-2008, 08:40 PM   #73
dooboogoo
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (22/100%)

Nice! great coloring on your brigittae! I'm excited to get mine from planetinverts.com. I have 6, but only a couple are bright red, so I got a few more. Maybe they'll color up when they have a larger group to swim with.
dooboogoo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2008, 09:10 PM   #74
Karackle
Woah, I'm a Guru?!

Thanks! I'm really pleased with how they're coloring up, I have some pale ones as well but I'm thinking those are the females, and some are in between colored, i'm thinking they're either younger (they are a little smaller) and/or that they are the sub-dominant males.
Old 08-26-2008, 09:24 PM   #75
stephm
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Cool

Where did you order the fish from, my LFS sucks so I will probably have to order in everything!

www.baron-rose.com
stephm is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
journal, photos