30g low tech Journal: NEW PICS! Scape advice? - Page 4
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > Tank Journals

Old 08-19-2008, 04:36 PM   #46
Karackle
Woah, I'm a Guru?!

PTrader: (16/100%)

So I was reading about the "golden rule" of aquascaping (and most art forms) where the focal point is at the 1:1.6 ratio spot and I'm thinking about all my tanks and I think that's about where I gravitate to what is pleasing to my eye....my DW pieces in both other tanks are right around that point and my rock/DW formation is right around there too in this tank. Now I'm curious how close I really am to that point, I'll have to measure when I get home!

Anyway.....there's some good tips in there, but I could still use so more tips based on the pictures if anyone has any! Thanks!
I enjoy having a zoo to care for!
20gH Planted tank,5g Planted Betta Tank
Karackle is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-20-2008, 04:15 AM   #47
skoorbza
Planted Member

PTrader: (4/100%)

I might add 2 more sm/med lace rocks to the front left of the large rock. That would encroach a bit into the blank central area, but would still allow swim room. I think a plant here would hide this beautiful stone. For the back left corner, shift the crypt (I think it is) to allow for a feathery plant (cabomba?) behind a sword. Go for contrasting foliage colors.

I think that would assist the balance w/o a rescape.
skoorbza is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-20-2008, 05:06 AM   #48
Karackle
Woah, I'm a Guru?!

skoorbza - thanks for the suggestions! I don't have a sword, but did you mean simply shift the crypts (yes that's what they are) forward and put cabomba (or other feathey plant) behind them? I think I will definitely try to find some more lace rock as well. I have a few more pieces of wood I found and I want to rearrange the piece that is sort of sticking into nowhere, but the rest should be quite doable without a major rescape, i think you're right.

Thanks!
Old 08-21-2008, 01:32 AM   #49
skoorbza
Planted Member

Mmm. I had meant for you to acquire a sword ( ), but the crypts might grow into the job nicely, with no need for added expense.

Keep us updated!!
Old 08-21-2008, 03:43 AM   #50
Karackle
Woah, I'm a Guru?!

hahaha oooohhhh I see......i think i'm a little confused as to what you meant then. I might consider a sword, I have that giant anubias in there at the moment that could probably sub in for one for now? Or go somewhere else. I don't know. It might not take over the tank as quickly as a sword either (from what i hear they grow BIG and FAST) anubias might also stand up to my ridiculously low lighting a little better. but i don't know....i'll definitely keep updated either way

I've been extremely busy this week....found some more rocks and a couple pieces of DW that I want to add, still need some more lace rock i think but i haven't had a chance to get to the LFS that i think has it....sigh....

My ember tetras and Boraras brigittae should be arriving tomorrow or friday so I want to get the scaping done sooner rather than later

hopefully I'll have some picture-type updates a bit later!
Old 08-21-2008, 04:42 AM   #51
ZooTycoonMaster
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (31/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karackle View Post
Yellow would look good with a piece of branching Manzanita DW.

Red maybe Dwarf Sag? That will spread quickly and make a nice grassy look.

Turquoise more plants. Maybe Rotala Rotundifolia or another stem plant?

Nice looking tank Still like the bubble curtain?
Eheim Pimp #341

ZooTycoonMaster is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-21-2008, 04:14 PM   #52
Karackle
Woah, I'm a Guru?!

Zoo - thanks for the suggestions and compliment! Will dwarf sag grow in really low light? A grassy looking plant would be awesome, and yeah I was thinking of some stem plant in the turqoise area too. i love the look of the rock so i don't want to cover too much of it though, but i guess i could just keep it trimmed short

Well I didn't get as much done last night as I wanted to, but I added some branches to the straight piece of DW (took longer than planned) and added moss to cover the joints and branches. So here are some pictures of that (sorry they're a bit blurry):

Right side of the tank:

An (almost) FTS:

I also found a few more rocks yesterday that I think I'll incorporate with some small branches of Manzanita (thanks for that suggestion Zoo, I like it!) I have in the back left corner

rocks soaking in dechlorinator after a good scrubbing and soak in bleach:

And I saw these two guys hanging out in the corner and had to take a picture, they're so cute!

My gourami and one of the pygmy cories are buddies apparently! :

Any more input/suggestions is more than welcome!
Old 08-21-2008, 04:19 PM   #53
Karackle
Woah, I'm a Guru?!

Oh Also, Zoo - yeah i love my bubble walls! When you're not adding CO2 I think they really help, it's one of the few explanations I can think of as to why I get such good growth in such low light in my tanks? And I like the look!

That said, this one is a little out of control, the pump is a bit strong, i think i need to add a nozzle and turn it down a bit :-P
Old 08-21-2008, 05:09 PM   #54
ZooTycoonMaster
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (31/100%)

Yes Dwarf Sag will grow in low light, though it may not stay as "dwarf" as expected There's also E. Tennelus or Lilaeopsis brasiliensis.
Eheim Pimp #341

ZooTycoonMaster is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-22-2008, 12:18 AM   #55
Karackle
Woah, I'm a Guru?!

Well I just got back from my LFS with some Dwarf Sag that's rather tall (thanks for the suggestion Zoo, I think it'll look good in that spot even if it IS tall....I can always switch it out for the e. tennellus that's in my 5g which has it's longer leaves dying off and the new growth is shorter...so either way i'll end up with some grassy looking plant in that huge empty foreground area, and probably a bit more lace rock (thanks for the suggestion Skoorbza) with the "grass" planted around it.

I also got an Amazon Sword (again thanks for the suggestion Skoorbza, i figured I'd try it! ) I think i'll move the large Anubias to my 20g which is in need of something and try the Amazon!

I also got some more moss.....it was labeled "Willow moss" but looks fairly similar to the Java moss I've gotten from members on this forum, whereas the Java Moss at my LFS looks totally different....so....i have no idea what it is and now I can't decide where to put it. I was originally thinking I'd put it on the large slate-looking rock in front of the DW, but now I'm wondering if that would be too much moss all in one area? Let me know what you think!

Ok I'm off to crack open a beer (one of my top three favorite planting tools [and don't worry, yes I'm legal to drink, I'm 25 ]) Scrub some lace rock and git to gittin'

Will post some updates later!
Old 08-22-2008, 01:36 AM   #56
Karackle
Woah, I'm a Guru?!

ok got my lace rock cleaned, thought i'd post pics while i ate a bite of dinner

Here they all are:

And individual shots:

Biggest/most interesting:

next largest/most interesting:

the small one:

and the last 2 which aren't very interesting:

so I'm thinking I'll put the more interesting rocks, at least the 2 largest ones in front of the BIG lace rock with some dwarf Sag mixed in. Then I think i'll put some moss on the less interesting ones and put them, and maybe the smaller interesting one, in the back corner with a bright green stem plant and the bronze wendtii around them. Then I'm thinking I'll put the Sword in the center of the "V" that the DW makes with some of the purple cabomba behind it or on either side of it. and then some other stems to the left of the large piece of lace rock. I think I'll put some moss on the top of the large piece of lace rock too. Well, that's how it looks good in my head anyway. We'll see how it looks in real life
Old 08-22-2008, 02:57 AM   #57
skoorbza
Planted Member

Sounds lovely; looking forward to seeing it!
Old 08-22-2008, 03:12 AM   #58
Karackle
Woah, I'm a Guru?!

Well I'm really starting to like how this is coming together! I ended up not using any DW in the left back corner...I'm going to wait and see how the Asian ambulia and crypts grow in and then decide if I need it, I think with the rocks I won't need it. I took a bunch of the beautiful bronze/red crypts that were in the corner and scattered them around the tank more to mix in some color. I also incorporated some Hygrophila polysperma 'Rosanervig' for a bit of a different color, with it's lighter green and rose highlights I think it'll add a nice touch when it grows in, I put some on the left between the Asian ambulia and the Purple cabomba and some on the right in front of the "filligree frill" (still need to find out just what that is) and behind the dwarf sag.

Here's a quick FTS and a left and a right....i'm going to put a little more moss on the DW and cut the dead leaves off my Wisteria and then replant that behind the large rock where the fishies love to hide in it and then I'll post (hahaha when I first tried to type "post" i wrote "plant"...) better pictures!

FTS:

Left:

Right:

enjoy!
Old 08-22-2008, 04:40 AM   #59
Karackle
Woah, I'm a Guru?!

Talking

I'm really happy with how the tank came out! I may have gone a LITTLE over-board on wrapping the DW in moss but I think I kinda like it

I did make one error though - i left the wisteria out of water longer than I should have waiting to get dead leaves trimmed off
...I hope it bounces back! I had really healthy portions from my own tanks and from what I got from the trading forward thread, lots of well-rooted portions so my hopes are high that it will bounce back. Here's hoping anyway!

ANYWAY here are some pictures (i turned off the bubble wall for pictures so the plants stand out better)!

Left side:

Center:

Right Side:

Close-up left corner:

there're some holes in a couple of the leaves, but they've been there since i put the plants in and they haven't melted so I figure I can leave them?

Close-up right side in front of large piece of lace rock:

And of course, Full Tank Shot:

Let me know what you think! I know I said I like it, but I'm open to criticism (constructive please) suggestions comments questions etc. etc. etc. All feedback welcome (as long as you're nice about it! )

*edit* please note....I know the ends are dark, during the day the right side gets some indirect sunlight and the left side gets light from the Spiral CF desk lamp that provides light for my Betta. I DO plan on upgrading the lighting though....I'll have the $ to afford the proper length strip-light soon so i've been lax about getting clip-lights because then what will i do with them? though....if i get a new strip-light what will i do with this one? LOL....well i'll figure it all out...
Old 08-22-2008, 05:56 AM   #60
melonz
Algae Grower

PTrader: (5/100%)

Looking good! Can't wait to see everything fill in! Good job with the scape
melonz is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Tags
journal, photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.