30g low tech Journal: NEW PICS! Scape advice? - Page 13
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > Tank Journals

Old 11-17-2008, 01:06 AM   #181
Complexity
Pelvicachromis Lover!

PTrader: (34/100%)

Well, in today's financial climate, I doubt I'll get free bamboo shrimp, but you never know!

It is nice to have a good LFS close by. They are the ones I had move my tank, and I have to say I like the owner even more after that. He's a really nice guy.
Vicki Rena Filstar pimp #142 (four XP4s/three XP2s/one XP1) Eheim pimp #301 (Pro II 2128) Victor pimp #27 (VTS-253B-320)

90g - Journal Pelvicachromis taeniatus 'Moliwe' 75g - Journal Pelvicachromis pulcher 'Lagos Red' Better Pics 8-24
29g - Journal Pelvicachromis pulcher 'unknown' -- 29g - Pelvicachromis taeniatus 'Moliwe'
5g - RCS colony 2.5g - Journal Retired
Complexity is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-17-2008, 01:31 AM   #182
Karackle
Woah, I'm a Guru?!

PTrader: (16/100%)

Hahahaha no probably not free, that's just wishful thinking but a discount on the total is good too!

Glad to here you like them even more after the move too, definitely a good thing it didn't go the other way!
I enjoy having a zoo to care for!
20gH Planted tank,5g Planted Betta Tank
Karackle is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-17-2008, 01:47 AM   #183
Complexity
Pelvicachromis Lover!

Yeah, when you work with someone instead of simply buying stuff from them, you get a better feel for who they are. It makes me even that much happier to buy from him.
Vicki Rena Filstar pimp #142 (four XP4s/three XP2s/one XP1) Eheim pimp #301 (Pro II 2128) Victor pimp #27 (VTS-253B-320)

90g - Journal Pelvicachromis taeniatus 'Moliwe' 75g - Journal Pelvicachromis pulcher 'Lagos Red' Better Pics 8-24
29g - Journal Pelvicachromis pulcher 'unknown' -- 29g - Pelvicachromis taeniatus 'Moliwe'
Old 11-17-2008, 02:42 AM   #184
Karackle
Woah, I'm a Guru?!

Yeah, that's definitely true, i'm glad it worked out so well!
Old 11-27-2008, 07:27 PM   #185
demonbreedr16
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (2/100%)

I did one time get 1 Harlequin Rasbora for free because hwen I sked for 7 (2.99 ea.), there was ONE left and I COULDN'T leave him...it would have been cruel.

How are you liking your Sparkling Gourami? I'm thinking about thing one for my 29G along with ONE bamboo shrimp(5$ for me I think?)
demonbreedr16 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-01-2008, 06:17 PM   #186
Karackle
Woah, I'm a Guru?!

Nice, yeah, that's how i ended up with one CPD in my tank, i saw him alone and couldn't leave him in there. I didn't get him for free though unfortunately.

I love the sparkling gourami, he is an AWESOME little fish! And the bamboo shrimp are great. only $5 for you?! wow....i do live in the state of NY, not the city, but things are still pricey here. You're lucky, mine cost $9.99 on sale!
Old 12-04-2008, 04:53 PM   #187
Karackle
Woah, I'm a Guru?!

Just a small update, the foxtail along the back wall of the tank is not doing well, the tops look great but the bottoms just don't get enough light. I'm going to lop off the healthy bits and throw them in another tank. I've got some sunset hygro coming from LauraLeellbp that is doing really well in her low light tanks so I'm thinking I'll try that along the back wall in this tank and see what happens.

I NEED to upgrade my lighting, the sunlight coming in my window is not enough anymore for the right end of the tank and I've lost a lot of plants in the back corner. It's time to cough up the cash for light that actually spans the whole tank. Or ask for it for Chrismukah (or a gift certificate to the fish store)

I will post pics when I get the hygro planted
Old 12-04-2008, 06:04 PM   #188
Complexity
Pelvicachromis Lover!

I bet the sunset hygro will do well in the low light. I ended up throwing some in my 5g tank that just has a standard 8w fluorescent light, and the darn stuff is growing in there!

Looking forward to the new pics!

Old 12-04-2008, 08:46 PM   #189
Karackle
Woah, I'm a Guru?!

Oh yay! That's good to hear, definitely gives me hope that it will do well! I have some something that is pink but i can't remember what it is called. It looks quite similar, I know the subspecies is "rosanervig" (or something similar) but I can't remember if it's sunset hygro. It's beautiful and it is growing, slowly but surely so I was hoping the sunset hygro would do ok and now i have hope that it will! I think it will add a nice color contrast to the back of the tank against the black background too.

I'll get pics as soon as I get the package and put them in the tank! I'll be using your method of planting Vicki "oh, here's an empty spot" like you said in another thread, I read that and I liked it because that's how I 'scape too!
Old 12-04-2008, 11:40 PM   #190
MOsborne05
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (12/100%)

Your tank is looking great, especially with less than 1wpg! I just purchased the same tank to replace my 45 gallon, and was debating whether I wanted to get the 36" light or the 30" one, which is $40 cheaper. I think your tank looks awesome with the shorter light, because it gives the tank more depth. I think I'll go with the 30" now.

What kind of bulbs do you have on the tank?

7 gallon in the works ~ planted ~ CPO's & Gardneri Killifish
MOsborne05 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-05-2008, 04:14 AM   #191
Karackle
Woah, I'm a Guru?!

MOsborne - Thanks so much! I'm constantly surprised at what will grow for me in my tanks with less than 1wpg and I really appreciate the positive feedback!

I have a 24" light and it's definitely too short, but I think a 30" light would do fine as long as the bulb spans the whole length of the fixture (if it's a 30" fixture with a 24" bulb I don't recommend it unless you plan to supplement the light on the ends) But a 30" i think would give enough light on the ends. The bulb is just a regular T8 fluorescent, single bulb. Not sure on the K value.
Old 12-05-2008, 01:41 PM   #192
MOsborne05
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (12/100%)

It is a 24" bulb, and I didn't think about that! I already ordered it, so I'll have to make do for now. I think yours looks pretty cool with the 24" one though! I'll just have to keep the plants towards the middle, and maybe just some crypts or anubias on the sides

7 gallon in the works ~ planted ~ CPO's & Gardneri Killifish
MOsborne05 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-05-2008, 02:43 PM   #193
Complexity
Pelvicachromis Lover!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karackle View Post
I have some something that is pink but i can't remember what it is called. It looks quite similar, I know the subspecies is "rosanervig" (or something similar) but I can't remember if it's sunset hygro.
Yes, 'rosanervig' is Sunset Hygro. So it's already doing well in your tank!

Quote:
I'll be using your method of planting Vicki "oh, here's an empty spot" like you said in another thread, I read that and I liked it because that's how I 'scape too!
LOL! I think that's how a lot of scapes are done, at least when it comes to plant placement. The good thing is as the plants grow out, if we aren't happy with the original spot we used for a plant, we can always move it.

When I was much more active with my regular gardening, I used to have a saying as to what qualifies a person as a true gardener.
  • You have to kill at least 5 easy to grow plants; 3 due to loving them too much and 2 from neglect.
  • You have to put taller plants in front of shorter ones, requiring that you move them after they've grown in.
  • You have to come home with plants that you had never heard of before, never intended to buy and have no clue if they can grow in your yard.
  • You have to come home with plants that you have no place to put in the garden, but that doesn't stop you from bringing them home anyway.
  • You have to mix at least 2 plants that completely clash with each other, repeating this no less than 3 times with 2 of those times being with the very same plants at different times because you forgot what happened the first time around.
  • You have to attempt to grow a minimum of 3 teeny-tiny pieces of plants with complete hope that they'll root and grow into huge bushes.
  • You have to have at least one of those teeny-tiny plants actually survive.
  • You have to collect no less than 25 varieties of different plants without rhyme or reason other than you "just like them" and "had to have them".
  • Your response to plants dying is one of "Yea! A spot where I can plant something new!" while simultaneously grieving over the plant that died.
  • And, finally, you have to spend a large part of your day looking at your plants, looking at other people's plants, talking about plants, thinking about plants, and never, ever having enough plants no matter how many you collect.

Please notice what's first on the list. It is most crucial. No gardener, aquatic or otherwise, can claim to be a true gardener if they do not first kill some plants. And not just any plants. You have to kill plants that everyone else says are easy to grow and virtually indestructible, but somehow you managed to kill them all the same. It's part of the requirements for us all.

Old 12-05-2008, 04:06 PM   #194
Karackle
Woah, I'm a Guru?!

MOsborne - Yeah, crypts still grow on the ends (i don't have anubias in this tank but i'd imagine they would grow as well) I bet having a longer light fixture with reflectors in it might help spread slightly more light to the ends too. I'm mostly having trouble getting plants to grow behind the big rock on the right because the rock blocks the light coming out of the fixture itself so that corner is VERY dark, otherwise I do find the tank is relatively well lit, and I agree, it does have a cool look! I think you might have convinced me to get a 30" replacement!

Vicki - i love it! I think it's so true. It's sort of that way with the whole fish-keeping thing isn't it? It's unfortunate but I think we all do similar things with the fish themselves don't we? A few fish down (sadly) due to cycling issues in the beginning, instead of clashing in color, they clash in aggression level or adult size to tank size, when we lose fish to old age or something it's sad but it opens up the opportunity to try a new "less noob" fish. And don't worry, I've certainly killed the impossible to kill plants. I'm having good luck with sunset hygrow in my <1wpg tank but somehow i managed to kill java fern!!! That was back when I was first starting out, but i don't know, it didn't like me, it turned all brown. I also managed to kill Wisteria which is next to impossible as well. On the other hand, everyone says crypts grow slowly but they absolutely FLOURISH in my ridiculously low light tanks! So i think i'm well on my way with your list, what do you think?

I'm hoping LauraLee's package comes today so I can post some good updated tank shots here and in my breeding thread And I'll be posting my 5g TOTAL rescape tonight as well...it's been a big tanks week for me. Now I just need to upgrade my gecko's house and the light in my 30g and then I'm good to go, taking a break from buying and adding too much and sticking with maintenance
Old 12-06-2008, 04:38 AM   #195
Complexity
Pelvicachromis Lover!

Killed Java Fern and Wisteria? Yup, you're a true aquatic gardener!

For the record, I've killed the very same plants.

Wow, you have been going tank crazy! And then you're going to do just maintenance? I don't believe it! LOL! You'll be itching to try something new or rearrange something. It's impossible to resist the urge!

Looking forward to more pics!

Tags
journal, photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.