Can't get my rummy nosed tetras to eat.
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Fish

Old 08-06-2008, 05:38 AM   #1
hungtran10
Algae Grower

PTrader: (5/100%)

Can't get my rummy nosed tetras to eat.

Hello,

I have 5 Rummy Nosed Tetras for over a week now. They are very active and school around the tank but tend to keep to the bottom and middle layers of the tank. When I put in fish flakes on the surface, they don't come up for it. My harlequin raspboras are such pigs that they usually gobble up all the food before my Rummy's have a chance. Even if some of the flakes float down, my Rummy's are not aggressive enough to even beat a Cardinal Tetra to the food. I have also tried TetraMin tropical granules that sink slowly. They will bite at it but then spit it back out. Any advice? All my other fish are feeding well.

Tank info:
55 gallon planted tank
10 Harlequin Rasboras
14 Cardinal Tetras
1 small Angelfish
1 Betta
5 Rummy nose tetra
2 Watts/gal compact flourescent lights
Marineland Magnum HOT filter
Tom Bar's Excell dosing method

Best regards,

- Hung
hungtran10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-06-2008, 05:39 AM   #2
epicfish
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (266/100%)

I'd try to feed some flakes so the other fish go for it, and then try some frozen food first. ie: Bloodworms. IME, fish that don't eat prepared foods will usually go for frozen. After a while, I'll wean them off the frozen and move them over to prepared. Once in a while, I'll drop in a cube of frozen food as a treat.
epicfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2008, 10:05 AM   #3
mkus
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

I have 5 rummy nose also they are allways moving mine eat anything they eat out of my hand,I would use flake food.I also feed my cory cats shrimp pellets the rummy nose even pick at those on the bottom of the tank.
They need good water quality how long has your tank been set up?
mkus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2008, 10:55 AM   #4
roybot73
The Circumloctioner

PTrader: (37/100%)

Get at least 5 more of them. They will become more bold in bigger numbers -- mine eat like pigs, splashing the water surface at feeding time... Frozen food will help as well, like epicfish suggested.
Old 08-06-2008, 02:24 PM   #5
Feral
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

Feed small amounts until the rasboras and cardinals are stuffed, then put some flakes near the filter so they push it down towards the Rummies. Also try doing a water change, my Rummies get more rambunctious and hungry after I do one.

They may be eating small bits that are floating in the water column. I see mine feeding all day long on bits of debris. As long as they are active and don't have sunken bellies, they are probably getting something to eat. Don't worry until there is something to worry about. Good Luck.
Feral is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2008, 02:56 PM   #6
lauraleellbp
Fresh Fish Freak

PTrader: (70/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by roybot73 View Post
Get at least 5 more of them. They will become more bold in bigger numbers -- mine eat like pigs, splashing the water surface at feeding time... Frozen food will help as well, like epicfish suggested.
x2
Tampa Bay Aquarium Society - Next meeting Monday, Sept 8, 2014 @ 7:15pm- See ya there!
TBAS Annual Fish Auction - November 1st!!

lauraleellbp is offline   Reply With Quote