Bucks 30G Jungle Journal - Page 2
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > Tank Journals

Old 02-14-2003, 09:57 PM   #16
GulfCoastAquarian
Planted Tank VIP

PTrader: (6/100%)
Send a message via ICQ to GulfCoastAquarian Send a message via Yahoo to GulfCoastAquarian

Well, even though I did initially hope you'd leave the free space on the right, the new plants truly look fantastic. I like how you grow your Ludwigia - fairly low as a midground plant. I've been growing mine way too high and having nothing but bare, brittle stems for the first 2".

My tank is just doing very poorly overall lately, though. I've got to get it sorted out. That pic there is an inspiration to do just that.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-14-2003, 10:15 PM   #17
SNPiccolo5
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (0/0%)

I love how your wallichii is growing tall like that, I have that same plan in my tank! My tank has never been in balance, so it looks horrible, I am just waiting for stuff to come in the mail!

-Tim
Old 02-14-2003, 10:44 PM   #18
Buck
Planted Tank VIP

PTrader: (3/100%)

It is very tall and starting to throw out new growth from plant bottoms. It should be easy to groom and thicken the background this way.

I did like the emptier look Sam but I couldnt resist trying it... :hehe:

Old 02-15-2003, 10:42 PM   #19
Buck
Planted Tank VIP

This is probably the finest photo I have ever taken in my tank so I had to post it... I love the way the heater light accents the pearling WaterSprite... :hehe:

Old 02-17-2003, 04:42 PM   #20
GulfCoastAquarian
Planted Tank VIP

Send a message via ICQ to GulfCoastAquarian Send a message via Yahoo to GulfCoastAquarian

That is indeed a great picture! Even the WCMM seemed to cooperate for the picture! My NO3 levels are a little high and my Sunset Hygro doesn't look nearly as pink as yours does! I can't wait to bring them back down! They look great!!
Old 02-17-2003, 08:56 PM   #21
Buck
Planted Tank VIP

CO2 gets them flourescent like that Ive noticed Sam... at the peak of the photo period and high CO2 ( about 35 ppm here )
35 ppm is a little higher then normal for me...I like to keep it around 25 - 30 normally but every now and then the needle valve needs persuasion.
Thats what I get for the "cheap" version. :hehe:
I have been over the 40 mark with no adverse effects to the fish... but then the tank looks like a giant aerator with the plant pearl ! Too much... :sad:
Old 02-22-2003, 01:10 PM   #22
m.lemay
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (9/100%)

Beautiful tank Buck!, I gotta start playing around with my camera. That last picture you took should be published somewhere, the colors are so saturated.
Are you using a flash, Tripod,?
My tank has a lot of reds in it but when I take pictures of it, it gets washed out. Any Ideas?
FILSTAR Pimp #2

75 gal heavily planted,50/50 Black beauty,Eco-complete substrate, Pressurised CO2 with solenoid, ph controller, AB Reactor 1000, 330 watts 9325K GE PC lighting,Ehiem Liquidoser, 2-Filstar xp3 canisters.
m.lemay is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-22-2003, 02:17 PM   #23
Buck
Planted Tank VIP

Flash will wash out the colors Marcel...also darken room surroundings ( house lights)
Another thing to do is "angle" the view of the camera to the tank in small increments until you find the best use of the tanks lighting.
To take that photo I also removed the 6500k bulb and left just the 8500k bulb which enhances the reds on plants.
I have taken and deleted so many photo's of that tank its unreal.
Practice is about the only way to get a great photo...
I can take 10 photos with 10 different "angles" of the same object , in very small increments like an inch higher or lower , and make it look different(lighting/colors) on each angle. Many of us are running so many watts that the tanks lights effect the camera's in ways that we dont see with the eye.
It took me about 500 photos to figure that out ! :hehe:

By the way Marcel... you ready for some Riccia fluitans ? I have some with your name on it if you are ready...
Old 02-22-2003, 04:05 PM   #24
m.lemay
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (9/100%)

I just whipped out the manual for my camera. That oughta help a little.

:hehe:

The camera's a Sony DSC-p51 ,2 mega pix.
I have a tripod which should help to keep the exposure longer so I can get some stop motion. Theres all-kinds of white balance, exposure,and color adjustments. I'll try using just the 6400k bulbs which have a CRI of over 90, and turn off the 9325ks which probably wash out the colors. I guess your right, I'll just keep snapping pictures till I get some that I like. Thats whats so awesome about a digital, no wasted film. Just delete the crappy ones and keep snapping.

I'm ready for some riccia, can't wait. If you have any extra rotala wallichi clippings I'll take some of that too. The water sprite is starting to sprout new shoots that are also sprouting roots near the nodes. It was just about dead when I got it but I'm glad I didn't throw it out.
FILSTAR Pimp #2

75 gal heavily planted,50/50 Black beauty,Eco-complete substrate, Pressurised CO2 with solenoid, ph controller, AB Reactor 1000, 330 watts 9325K GE PC lighting,Ehiem Liquidoser, 2-Filstar xp3 canisters.
m.lemay is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-16-2003, 10:47 PM   #25
Buck
Planted Tank VIP

I got sick of chasing the jungle around and removed about 30lbs of plants....I hope I didnt over-do-it ! :lol: :lol:
It looks barren , sort of, but I allready feel refreshed... If I had time to do shipping tomorrow somebody would have made out nicely with the mass of plants I threw out.
I was relentless, the wife cried, the cat ran... it got pretty ugly ! I can actually see my fish again ! :lol:
All that stayed was Rotala wallichi,Didiplis diandra,Riccia fluitans,Swords,1 crypt, and some sunset hygro that will be kept no higher then 4" ! I will post a pic sometime Im sure....

Buck

:stupid:
Buck is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-17-2003, 03:33 PM   #26
GulfCoastAquarian
Planted Tank VIP

Monitor water parameters carefully. Keep nutrients low. Removing a large mass of plants is only part of the equation that led to my green water outbreak last month. The other was high nutrients.

It's worth it in the end, though! All in the interests of creating that perfect Aquascape!
Old 03-17-2003, 03:44 PM   #27
STAT 007
Planted Member

Send a message via AIM to STAT 007

Your tank kicks major butt, Buck! But I have to say to whoever said something about tanks that are "green, green, green"... I like green! LOL. I like tanks that are just green! That's actually what I think I'm going to go for when I start planting my tank for real (once the CO2 equipment gets in). Anyway, I just wanted to throw my voice in there for green-only tanks!

37 gallon AGA Black Seal, Emperor 400, Ebo Jager 200 W, 100% Flourite Substrate, 2x55 Watt AH Supply PC Lighting (5300K & 6400K) @ ~3.4 WPG, High-Pressure CO2.
STAT 007 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-18-2003, 01:23 PM   #28
Buck
Planted Tank VIP

So much for the "jungle look"... I have groomed it over to a simpler look and I am using Rotala wallichi as a background, the neon tetra's love it and look nice swimming through it. I hung black towels over the tank for the photo , normally you can see right through this tank to the other side of the room... :lol:

Here is a larger photo of the tank...
http://www.buckmanshome.com/files/April16Full_1200.jpg
Old 04-18-2003, 04:24 PM   #29
SNPiccolo5
Planted Tank Enthusiast

I wish I could get wallichii to grow like that in my tank, but my water is too hard! Very nice looking!

-Tim
Old 04-19-2003, 11:29 PM   #30
Buck
Planted Tank VIP

I do have very soft water...
Neither the GH or KH are ever under 3 and never over 5 and that is straight outta my tap ! I am very fortunate here...

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.