Bucks 30G Jungle Journal
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > Tank Journals

Old 02-02-2003, 12:25 AM   #1
Buck
Planted Tank VIP

PTrader: (3/100%)

I removed the patch of Rotala i and the Wysteria to make room for some rotala wallichi and the Didiplis diandra...(right corner)
And I have beaten my Red algae out of tank but now i have some new alien stuff startin... its almost like staghorn but its very fragile and seems to grow soft tube like fingers... and out of the water its like an aqua green color... this is a new one on me... kinda kool stuff... we'll see.

Old 02-02-2003, 12:30 AM   #2
Awomias
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

Very nice setup! Good luck with it.
Awomias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2003, 01:39 AM   #3
SNPiccolo5
Planted Tank Enthusiast

It is never the "last change", it seems one always ends up changing things down the road anyway, lol!

-Tim
Old 02-02-2003, 07:07 AM   #4
Glud
Planted Member

Send a message via MSN to Glud

That tank is looking great! I beg you, dont change anything! It looks soooo great now Buck, do you have alot of algae with 5 wpg? There has been a discussion on www.fish-forum.com, and they think that anything over 4 wpg, will be to much lightning. I have the choice between to 60 watts, and two 50 watts. It is HQL lamps (i think). Wich ones will you choose?

Glud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2003, 11:49 AM   #5
Fish dude
Algae Grower

That tank is amazing, how do you get a fish tank looking that good!? i am going to re-do one of my tanks next week and i hope it will look neally as good as yours one day!
Yours is deffinetely one of the best i have seen on this site.
Fish dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2003, 12:46 PM   #6
Buck
Planted Tank VIP

:hehe: Thanks Fishdude , but this must be the only tank you have seen here then...check out the gallery...

As far as lighting goes Glud ...I have thought of lowering my wpg in the past but instead I raised the lights...
I have 5wpg "mathematically" but this tank has no top to it and the lights are suspended at 12" over water surface so in actuality I feel it is less then 5wpg. If I were to mount these lights in the traditonal hooded method I believe they would be too much. Algae has not been much of a problem lately in this tank but ot was in the past. I am zeroing in on proper ferts dosing ...or at least what I feel is proper dosing to grow them best. I do however have a new type of algae starting but this will be remedied soon.
My Red Algae disappeared with Iron/Potassium addition (5ml daily each)... this has made a drastic change in this tanks health.
Old 02-02-2003, 07:41 PM   #7
cousin it
Planted Member

Send a message via MSN to cousin it

looking very good
the contrast between green and red is very stunning
cousin it is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2003, 08:03 PM   #8
Fish dude
Algae Grower

I have seen the gallery and i still think your IS one of the best, dont be so modest bud, the use of colour in your tank is incredible compared to the average green, green, green tank.
Fish dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2003, 01:56 PM   #9
GulfCoastAquarian
Planted Tank VIP

PTrader: (6/100%)
Send a message via ICQ to GulfCoastAquarian Send a message via Yahoo to GulfCoastAquarian

I agree with Fish dude, aside from the colors, even the contrasting greens make this an excellent Dutch Tank specimen. I especially like the open area to the right, with shorter plants. It would be a good idea to keep them pruned down to help offest the intense growth on the left side.
Old 02-03-2003, 10:04 PM   #10
SNPiccolo5
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Ooops, something must've happened to my post, it didn't include the other things I typed...

Great tank Buck! The balance between red and green is perfect, and it looks quite nice, but where are the radican swords?

What are the different varieties of red plants you have there? I am planning out the plants for my tank and yours look gorgeous!

-Tim
Old 02-03-2003, 10:11 PM   #11
Pooky125
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to Pooky125 Send a message via MSN to Pooky125 Send a message via Yahoo to Pooky125 Send a message via Skype™ to Pooky125

Amano uses over 15 wpg in some cases. Theres a few plants that need realy strong light. Glosso for instance, will grow at 4+ wpg, but does its best at 10
Pooky125 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2003, 10:27 PM   #12
Buck
Planted Tank VIP

Thanks for the kind comments

The Radicans were not fitting in (shading ) so my LFS gladly took them back since they looked much better ... LOL

And that right corner Sam... hate to say it bro but the Rotala wallichi is takin off and looking beautiful... It is pacing nicely with the diandra plants in front... I am really loving the look of the diandra...beautiful foliage...I would highly suggest this plant(Didiplis diandra) to anyone on the higher lighting tanks.
My only disappointment so far in any of my varieties is the Cabomba c. ! I think I almost murdered it... this plant HATES moving water... I had moved the outlet of my filter to the bottom of tank to get water flow over substrate and it was blowing on the stem bases only of the Cabomba...in 2 days it almost killed it.. I have never seen a plant fail so fast ! I moved the water flow and it is starting to come back now... *fingers crossed*

I figure in a couple months this tank will be matured nicely

This is an older photo Tim but has the varieties labeled...
Plant Varieties
Old 02-05-2003, 03:27 AM   #13
Hooked4Life
Algae Grower

Buck.. Your tank is looking awesome. I like the plant identification on your web site. Very nice for us newbies. I still havent decided on my next tank, 30G or 40G?

20G Long FW Planted Tank : 40W NO.

30G Cube FW Angelfish / Planted Tank : 65W CF, DIY co2

54 Gallon Oceanic Corner Reef Tank :10G Sump, 175W 10k MH, (2)20W Actinics, Berlin Skimmer, Sea Swirl powered by a Rio 2100, DIY Kalkwasser Automatic Topoff.

http://www.scubastruck.com/aquariums
Hooked4Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2003, 12:05 PM   #14
SNPiccolo5
Planted Tank Enthusiast

I love the rotala wilichi (sp?). I recently got some at my LFS, great plants!

-Tim
Old 02-14-2003, 08:48 PM   #15
Buck
Planted Tank VIP

Didiplis diandra and Rotala wallichi are growing nicely... I really like the D. diandra... its a very nice plant.
The Cardamine lyrata is really coming around...to think that it was doing so poorly after the tank swap that I almost pulled it out and chucked it ! :sad:
Sometimes ya just have to weather out the storm...
Also the Ludwigia I got from Marcel is growing great too...thats in the front bottom of photo.