Avoiding recycling or Mini-cycle when upgrading filter
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > General Planted Tank Discussion

Old 08-25-2014, 10:17 AM   #1
DesignZ
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

Avoiding recycling or Mini-cycle when upgrading filter

Hey guys and gals!
I currently have been running the fluval chi filter/light combo and since I have upgraded the light I bought a Fluval U1 Filter as well to fit the accommodating new cover I will get.

The Fluval Chi's filter has a sponge pad and filter pad while the U has a sponge pad. I have a sunsun filter running with ceramic biomedia running till it comes Tueday and was curious if I can just add the ceramic to the new U1 which I plan to customize by cutting the sponge and adding the ceramics inside. Question is most of my "beneficial" bacteria is in the fluval chi for a month or so and was curious if I can just dump out the old filter and install the biomedia ceramics+new ones to fill in the gap and will sustain the ecosystem.

Or do I have to keep the old one running till the new U1 gets a start, if so how long? What's the best and fastest way to approach this? The stock filter isn't so good I heard so I am not sure. My tank is planted with a betta and two ghosties and has been ever since I got it.
DesignZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-25-2014, 12:10 PM   #2
ChadRamsey
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (56/100%)

keep the old one running. put old media in the new one and run both until the new one is "cycled" in.

thats what i have done in the past with success

There are 2 types of people on this forum. Those that have algae, and those that lie and say they don't.
ChadRamsey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2014, 03:05 PM   #3
DesignZ
Algae Grower

Thing is with the stock filter, they are pads. One's a foam sponge and the other is a cotton/carbon combination. They won't fit into the U1 and the other filter currently running before the U1 comes in has ceramic bio media in it. I was thinking of dumping those biomedias (been 4 days now) cut a piece of the cotto & remove the carbon and put it on the intake holes of the U1, will that avoid the mini cycle? Or can I just put the oniomedia (ceramics) and avoid a mini cycle as my bioload is so small (2shrimps 1 betta) I want to get rid of the filter cube/light of the chi to install my new fugeray properly

Last edited by DesignZ; 08-25-2014 at 03:06 PM.. Reason: fix
Old 08-25-2014, 03:24 PM   #4
AquaAurora
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (8/100%)

I ungraded my canister filter recently, from a sunsun to a eheim pro3, munched larger media capacity in the new one so I just out all the media from the previous canister in + the new media to fill it up. Not even a "blip on radar" aka no ammonia or nitrite spikes.
AquaAurora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2014, 03:17 AM   #5
DesignZ
Algae Grower

What about moving from a bigger filter to a smaller one? The stock one has a sponge pad and a cotton/carbon pad (2 in 1 ) Should I cut and use the sponge or cotton? I was thinking since beneficial bacteria live inside the aquarium itself wouldn't it be okay with the small bioload?