Heater question
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Equipment

Old 08-24-2014, 09:16 PM   #1
Shidohari
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

Heater question

Currently I have a Aquatop 50w heater which heats up to a 13 gallon tank. this is causing temperture fluxuations with my 20 gallon tall.

Currently moved the heater to the center of the tank and submerged it completely which means it's holding the temperture steady at 81.0 F finally without the light being on.

I wouldn't be able to get the Aquatop 100 thermometer until i get paid next at the very LEAST. As long as I keep it completely submerged in the EXACT center of the tank would I be okay until i was able to get the new heater?

Current fish 1 german blue ram male
8 harlequin rasbora
3 cory cats (various varieties)
2 cherry shrimp (were 4 but the others may be hiding)
1 algae eater shrimp (the other may be hiding)
i don't know if the two tiny blueberry shrimp survived or are in hiding.

Thoughts welcome please. it's a FULLY planted tank now i just need to wait for my plants to fill out.

Thanks.
Shidohari is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-25-2014, 12:19 AM   #2
GraphicGr8s
Pixel Prestidigitator

PTrader: (10/100%)

Leave it. It's working.

Why not just get another 50 and run them both?
Here's to our wives and sweethearts - may they never meet.
If you agreed with me we'd both be right.
GraphicGr8s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2014, 12:45 AM   #3
Shidohari
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by GraphicGr8s View Post
Leave it. It's working.

Why not just get another 50 and run them both?
I saw it wasn't recommended on another thread that it's not wise to run two heaters in the same tank and to get one that is appropriate for the tank in question.
Old 08-25-2014, 12:56 AM   #4
Linwood
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shidohari View Post
I saw it wasn't recommended on another thread that it's not wise to run two heaters in the same tank and to get one that is appropriate for the tank in question.
I've seen many recommendations of the opposite, get two that are barely adequate, and then if one sticks on it won't cook your fish quickly, but with two if you need to respond to some cold (water change) it can do so quickly.

With two one will almost never run in normal situations, as one will come on before the other. But so what.

Latest tank build: 220 Tall
Linwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2014, 01:18 AM   #5
psych
Algae Grower

PTrader: (1/100%)

In a thread I recently made "GraphicGr8s" posted this: "The theory behind 2 heaters is each one is slightly more than half the required wattage. Neither heater by itself can raise the temperature enough to fry the tank yet together yet together can keep it right. It does work. If you need 300 watts to heat a tank and put in 2 175s they will heat the tank. One sticks on it can't overheat it. One fails off the other can at least keep the tank at the low end of the range."
psych is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2014, 02:05 AM   #6
GraphicGr8s
Pixel Prestidigitator

PTrader: (10/100%)

Either he's a very smart guy or he's been keeping fish a long long time. Or both.
Here's to our wives and sweethearts - may they never meet.
If you agreed with me we'd both be right.
GraphicGr8s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2014, 04:03 AM   #7
Shidohari
Algae Grower

I stand corrected then. I will see about getting a second 50 w Aquatop heater when i get paid this week.

Thank you very much for your help. BTW should i set them both at the same temp or should one be set slightly lower than the other?
Old 08-25-2014, 01:20 PM   #8
Linwood
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
BTW should i set them both at the same temp or should one be set slightly lower than the other?
Being analog devices it's going to normally be the case one comes on first anyway, except when there's an event like water change to make a substantial temperature change. They'll work it out. Just try to make sure both have some flow over them.

Old 08-25-2014, 08:22 PM   #9
Shidohari
Algae Grower

I am thinking about the ViaAqua 50w titanium submersible heater as my second heater for my tank (link below). They'll be running next to each other in my tank if i get it, though it may be a paycheck or two before i can due to bill obligations. My current 50w Aquatop always stays on but it goes up to 81-82 degrees in my tank which is two degrees up from what I want.

Amazon.com : ViaAqua Titanium Aquarium Heater, 50-Watt : Viaqua Heater : Pet Supplies Amazon.com : ViaAqua Titanium Aquarium Heater, 50-Watt : Viaqua Heater : Pet Supplies

The temperture is good for the cory cats and my ram, but is slightly warmer than advised for my rasbora and shrimp. Would tis be a good heater to invest in? or do you guys have another suggestion that will suit me better. Heater again is good up to 13 gallons for the one linked above.

Additional thoughts welcome.
Old 08-25-2014, 08:30 PM   #10
Linwood
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
I am thinking about the ViaAqua 50w titanium submersible heater as my second heater for my tank (link below). They'll be running next to each other in my tank if i get it, though it may be a paycheck or two before i can due to bill obligations. My current 50w Aquatop always stays on but it goes up to 81-82 degrees in my tank which is two degrees up from what I want.
Are you saying that it goes up because it fails to turn off correctly, or is your room temperature + lights driving it up?

If it doesn't turn off properly that's reason to consider getting rid of it.

Old 08-25-2014, 09:01 PM   #11
Shidohari
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Linwood View Post
Are you saying that it goes up because it fails to turn off correctly, or is your room temperature + lights driving it up?

If it doesn't turn off properly that's reason to consider getting rid of it.
It is only meant to work up to a 13 gallon tank even if fully submersed. the light is still on and my tank is a 20 gal tall. Currently the temp is 81.1 and what i had it set at was 26 C aka 79 F according to what i set the dial since i see the number 26 in the window completely and anything below that temp the window is a solid red since i'm not using those temps.

My two options are getting 1 100w heater or two 50w heaters to run in this tank simultaneously. My goal temperature is 80 degrees due to my shrimp and rasboras. At one point until i'd fiddled with it the temp went as high as 83 degrees.

Once it goes on it normally never goes off. My lighting is a marineland single bright lighting module that has arms that go 18-24 inches wide, and one led 10 gallon hood insert behind that one that was from a marineland ten gallon tank set.

Hope that answers your question.
Old 08-25-2014, 09:28 PM   #12
sadchevy
Planted Member

Your rams and cories will do just fine at a more stable temp of 78* . Your rasboras will like you more also.
If you go with 2 heaters. DO NOT place them side by side. Put them at opposite ends of the tank. This produces a more even heating. Also if one fails on, the fish can somewhat escape by going to the cooler side of the tank. For a 20 High, 2 50w heaters would be more than adequate.

And welcome to the forum from a fellow N.Ky aquarist.
Fraternity of dirt #135 The 6 Foot Plus Club

sadchevy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2014, 09:46 PM   #13
kman
Planted Tank Enthusiast

The Titanium heaters seems to be pretty well regarded here, although it's odd that the feedback on Amazon is so mixed. I can assure you that the Cobalt NeoTherm heaters are an excellent choice, if you're still looking for options.

Applicable only if you have a canister filter: I prefer to keep as much equipment out of my tank as possible. The single most-frequently recommended heater I see is the Eheim Jager, with the biggest complaints being size/appearance and perhaps a general uneasiness with glass-covered electronics in the tank (and yet, it's still the most recommended by far). So I got a Jager and put it in an enclosure, to turn it into an outboard inline heater. Thus far, it's been rock-steady, and I have less junk in my tank! Highly recommended.
Old 08-25-2014, 09:55 PM   #14
Shidohari
Algae Grower

I will look into the cobalt neotherm heaters. I don't have a canister addition to my tank so would be unable to use your enheim optioin, though i was looking at those heaters on amazon as well.

Question how can you get a 50w heater to stay at 78 degrees instead of bumping up to 81-83 degrees.every time i adjust it it always likes to jump back up to the higher tempertures. And if i get two 50w heaters how would that work so that my temperture stays where i want it?

Please advise.
Old 08-25-2014, 10:18 PM   #15
kman
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
I will look into the cobalt neotherm heaters. I don't have a canister addition to my tank so would be unable to use your enheim optioin, though i was looking at those heaters on amazon as well.

Question how can you get a 50w heater to stay at 78 degrees instead of bumping up to 81-83 degrees.every time i adjust it it always likes to jump back up to the higher tempertures. And if i get two 50w heaters how would that work so that my temperture stays where i want it?

Please advise.
Honestly, it may simply be that you have a bad heater with a faulty temp sensor or controller. It shouldn't do that. You may want to contact the company directly to inquire.

A 20 gallon tank is not so large that you should have trouble keeping it all one temp, as long as you have reasonable circulation. It's way small compared to the big tanks a lot of people here have. I suspect either the 50w titanium heater (or the 50w Cobalt) would do a good job without help. If you live in an especially cold climate and have large temp fluctuations, I'd consider moving to up 100w heaters. (with either heater)