Heater
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Equipment

Old 08-24-2014, 08:48 PM   #1
derik999
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

Heater

I've read that some people use two heaters to spread the workload in the tank and to have a backup in place if one of the heaters fails. With that in mind I'm wondering if I should go with 150w heater for my 40B or if I should go with 2 125w heaters.

http://www.drsfostersmith.com/produc...6&pcatid=23726

The house can get chilly in the winter. So that's one consideration.
derik999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-24-2014, 09:36 PM   #2
klibs
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (4/100%)

Do not use 2 heaters. Just get one that will get the job done. There is really no reason to get 2 IMO

how big is your tank?
klibs is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2014, 12:12 AM   #3
GraphicGr8s
Pixel Prestidigitator

PTrader: (10/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by klibs View Post
Do not use 2 heaters. Just get one that will get the job done. There is really no reason to get 2 IMO

how big is your tank?
Until that heater decides to stick on and fry your fish. 2 heaters at half the wattage each is the safe way to go.

He said it was a 40-B

Derik, I'd do 2 of the 75W heaters. For a single heater they are looking at the 100-125 why would you go to a 150? (sarcasm alert) So when it sticks your fish are well done instead of medium well?
Here's to our wives and sweethearts - may they never meet.
If you agreed with me we'd both be right.
GraphicGr8s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2014, 12:29 AM   #4
AlecFish
Planted Tank Obsessed

I have two 300w heaters in my 75 gallon. My basement gets really cold in the winter, we don't have it heated. Overkill? yeah. Just make sure you get some quality heaters. No tetra/petco special junk.
AlecFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2014, 01:37 AM   #5
psych
Algae Grower

PTrader: (1/100%)

I have a 40B and recently purchased 2 x 75 watt heaters. After some testing, I feel they're enough to raise the temperature to where I need the tank to be however it may take a while. I think I'm having some quality issues with my two but it could just be I'm not patient enough to calibrate them. Either way, 150 watts seems to do it, though they may struggle in the winter.
psych is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2014, 01:47 AM   #6
GraphicGr8s
Pixel Prestidigitator

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlecFish View Post
I have two 300w heaters in my 75 gallon. My basement gets really cold in the winter, we don't have it heated. Overkill? yeah. Just make sure you get some quality heaters. No tetra/petco special junk.
600W on a 75? I don't even have one 300 on my 90 in my fish house and it's not heated. OK I am in FL but it does get cold here.

That's not overkill. I've got another word for it.
Old 08-25-2014, 02:09 AM   #7
AlecFish
Planted Tank Obsessed

There's nothing I can do lol. Heaters are only supposed to heat a certain amount of degrees over the room temp. I've tried to downsizing but they just can't keep up. Dude my basement got down to 50 at one point during the polar vortex, it was crazy!
AlecFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2014, 02:18 AM   #8
GraphicGr8s
Pixel Prestidigitator

Right now I have the opposite problem. Keeping the tanks cool enough. Running the A/C in the fish house gets expensive. So I keep it at 82. In the winter it can get to 50 out there. No heat. I really count on mass to keep temps up a touch and heat only my larger tanks.
Old 08-25-2014, 06:42 AM   #9
derik999
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by GraphicGr8s View Post
Right now I have the opposite problem. Keeping the tanks cool enough. Running the A/C in the fish house gets expensive. So I keep it at 82. In the winter it can get to 50 out there. No heat. I really count on mass to keep temps up a touch and heat only my larger tanks.
What do you think about the Hydor ETH in-line heaters?

http://www.drsfostersmith.com/produc...m?pcatid=11369

Would be nice to have less equipment in the tank.

The temperatures in the winter here, at least inside the house can get around 60. It's a double-wide and the insulation stinks to say the least. I usually end up leaving the furnace in the low 60's and running a wood stove if it gets too chilly. It doesn't get super cold here, rarely below freezing outside, the house is just old and...yeah...it's old. lol.

Was looking at this as well.

http://www.drsfostersmith.com/produc...5&pcatid=23735
Old 08-25-2014, 01:12 PM   #10
klibs
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Just get 1 Hydor ETH. They are the best and don't take up room in your tank. I use a 300W on my 75 gallon and it is fine. It will be well below freezing here in the winter (NH) and I doubt I will heat my apartment past like 65 degrees. Heater works great - my tanks are always at 76.

Also I have never once had a heater stick. I suppose it can happen and that it can be risky to have one powerful heater but I just don't want multiple in my tanks. I've broken plenty of the glass ones by forgetting to unplug them when I do W/C (great reason to get a Hydor...) but never once has a heater stuck on me and fried my fish.
klibs is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2014, 01:28 PM   #11
GraphicGr8s
Pixel Prestidigitator

Quote:
Originally Posted by derik999 View Post
What do you think about the Hydor ETH in-line heaters?

http://www.drsfostersmith.com/produc...m?pcatid=11369

Would be nice to have less equipment in the tank.

The temperatures in the winter here, at least inside the house can get around 60. It's a double-wide and the insulation stinks to say the least. I usually end up leaving the furnace in the low 60's and running a wood stove if it gets too chilly. It doesn't get super cold here, rarely below freezing outside, the house is just old and...yeah...it's old. lol.

Was looking at this as well.

http://www.drsfostersmith.com/produc...5&pcatid=23735
I really don't know anything about them to make an educated post.

I've had heaters stick on before. And no, I've never fried my fish. Why? Two heaters. I've had expensive heaters go bye- bye and cheap ones too. I've still got a couple of cheapos running after 30 years. Luck of the draw. I don't swear by any heater. Not even the 30 year old Supreme that is still running.

Each of us has different parameters. No one solution will be right for each of us.
Old 08-25-2014, 11:24 PM   #12
kman
Planted Tank Enthusiast

I don't like the reviews I see for the Hydor heaters on Amazon. They seem relatively popular here, but there are too many horror stories I've read about them to really trust them.

Have you considered an external housing to turn an Eheim Jager (or Aqueon Pro) into an external inline heater?

Couple it with an external heater controller for maximum safety, if you're really worried.
Old 08-26-2014, 12:13 AM   #13
derik999
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by kman View Post
I don't like the reviews I see for the Hydor heaters on Amazon. They seem relatively popular here, but there are too many horror stories I've read about them to really trust them.

Have you considered an external housing to turn an Eheim Jager (or Aqueon Pro) into an external inline heater?

Couple it with an external heater controller for maximum safety, if you're really worried.
Lol always more options. Then you have a sump as a possibility also, etc. etc. Where's the pulling the hair out emote?

Maybe I should go with the inline and one 75w heater in the tank, lol.

Not that fish are expendable but I'm probably going to stick with a couple tetra schools and a cory school for this tank. So nothing really expensive is going in that tank. Definitely more focused on the plant growing/learning aspect.

I want to eventually build a large sized high tech tank for Discus once I get enough experience under my belt.

On a side note, maybe somebody should develop an app for aquarium heaters to alert you if one goes on the fritz. Assuming there isn't one currently.
Old 08-26-2014, 12:22 AM   #14
kman
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by derik999 View Post
Lol always more options. Then you have a sump as a possibility also, etc. etc. Where's the pulling the hair out emote?

Maybe I should go with the inline and one 75w heater in the tank, lol.

Not that fish are expendable but I'm probably going to stick with a couple tetra schools and a cory school for this tank. So nothing really expensive is going in that tank. Definitely more focused on the plant growing/learning aspect.

I want to eventually build a large sized high tech tank for Discus once I get enough experience under my belt.

On a side note, maybe somebody should develop an app for aquarium heaters to alert you if one goes on the fritz. Assuming there isn't one currently.
The external controllers are fairly inexpensive (around $30, IIRC) and good insurance if you're worried. For instance:
Amazon.com : Finnex Max-300 Digital Aquarium Heater Controller : Finnex Heat Controller : Pet Supplies Amazon.com : Finnex Max-300 Digital Aquarium Heater Controller : Finnex Heat Controller : Pet Supplies

No automatic systems that are priced for mere mortals, but if you're handy I doubt it would be tough to work something out with an Arduino and/or Raspberry Pi.

In fact, there are Arduino based controllers already available to the brave DIY souls! http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/sh...d.php?t=677265 (this particular one will set you back more than the simple controller, though)
Old 08-26-2014, 12:27 AM   #15
Crimson
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by GraphicGr8s View Post
I really don't know anything about them to make an educated post.

I've had heaters stick on before. And no, I've never fried my fish. Why? Two heaters. I've had expensive heaters go bye- bye and cheap ones too. I've still got a couple of cheapos running after 30 years. Luck of the draw. I don't swear by any heater. Not even the 30 year old Supreme that is still running.

Each of us has different parameters. No one solution will be right for each of us.
Agreed.

I use a 300 hydor inline on my 45 gallon, but it is controlled by my apex. I have the Hydor set at 82 and the apex is set to 76. If the probe in the apex goes at least they Hydor will be the backup and max out at 82 (in theory) but I have my apex email me if something goes strange anyway.

You could always buy a external controller just for the heater. I heard good things about the RANCO controller:
RANCO ETC-111000 Digital Cold Temperature Control NEW: Tools Products: Amazon.com: Industrial & Scientific RANCO ETC-111000 Digital Cold Temperature Control NEW: Tools Products: Amazon.com: Industrial & Scientific
Crimson is offline   Reply With Quote