The Planted Tank Forum banner

Need help with choosing light for tank

1K views 6 replies 4 participants last post by  wildroseofky 
#1 ·
Hey guys , I'm a noob with planted tanks. Just got a 84x36x48 cm aquarium on ebay but it did not come with a light source. I was looking online but found that most recommended lights were like £200 pounds. I found this light on amazon which I have posted the link below but can some one advice me if it will be enough for a well planted tank.i am planning on getting the 90cm 21 watt option .Thanks Ash

[Ebay Link Removed]

Bump: Sorry the link was removed for some reason.and I found this light on ebay not amazon

itm/Aquarium-Fish-Tank-Overhead-T5-White-Blue-Light-Lighting-Aluminum-Lamp-3-Model-/261280849825?pt=UK_Pet_Supplies_Fish&var=&hash=item3cd58d5fa1

Please type in www.ebay. Co .uk and paste link after thanks

#3 ·
Well. Blue light doesnt do much for your plants. There are folks who complained that algae grew abundantly with the blue light. Try to get a T5HO light and use 2 daylight bulbs in it, each with 6500k light spectrum. your plants would thank you.

I did a quick search in ebay and saw this item for about 40.

Zoo Med AquaSun T5-HO Double Light Linear Fluorescent Hood, 30-Inch New

#5 ·
You can get an 80" T5HO light on aquatraders for under $200. I have had good luck with my smaller one. Had for for a year. The bulbs that come with it are not much but I ordered new bulbs from 1000bulbs and the light works great. If you want a cheap solution for now go with spiral CFL bulbs in a metal clamp light or similar fixture. Four or five of those would get you into medium to high light for under $50. Any light fixture that holds CFL bulbs and can be mounted over the tank would work.

#6 ·
Thanks wildroseofky the cfl bulbs sounds like a good option. Considering I have got a 35 gallon tank and im using 3 CFL bulbs, how many watts does each need to be to get high light? also i need to get full spectrum cfl bulbs right? because im from the uk everything is like double the price here you guys from the US are soo lucky

#7 ·
I have a 29 gallon high and use three 27 watt CFL bulbs to get high light. I have them mounted about 4 inches above the water line. You need to look for bulbs that are 6500K. They are listed as daylight or full spectrum bulbs. On my 10 gallon tank I have two 23 watt bulbs and get really high light. I get as good of growth on my high light plants as my 20 long tank with a dual T5 light. It seems to me that the CFL's penetrate the deeper tank better. I was using the T5 on my 29g high tank and was not getting as good a plant growth as when I used the CFL lights so I switched it back to the CFL bulbs. I buy my bulbs at Walmart. There is also a company called 1000bulbs.com that has some great deals on lights and bulbs. They now ship internationally so that might be an option. They have great prices on replacement T5 bulbs.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.