Calibrating Ebo Jäger heater?
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Equipment

Old 08-23-2014, 04:02 PM   #1
Richniner
Algae Grower

PTrader: (1/100%)

Calibrating Ebo Jäger heater?

Can anyone out there help or give suggestions on calibrating my Ebo Jäger heaters. I have a couple that even when set to 65 degrees are staying on and heating up my tanks. I read the directions on the newest models but why would they stay on? I examined t he insides and the heat elements all look fine. Why went set to the lowest temp would they be on? Some of them are like new and as you all know they are a pretty darn good brand...I am confused. Thanks for any relies.
Richniner is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-23-2014, 04:42 PM   #2
deeda
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (2/100%)

Which model heaters do you have, the ones with the buttons or the ones with the red/blue rings?

Also, which thermometer are you using to determine the tank temperature?
Eheim Pimpette #270
Eheim Pro II 2028; Classics Series -2215, 2217, 2260, 2262; Pro 2229 Wet/Dry
deeda is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-24-2014, 01:38 AM   #3
Richniner
Algae Grower

Default Actually...

Thanks for the reply...I have both and I have issues with both. The button ones and red dials. I turn both of them down all the way and they are still running??? I use the ATI thermometers you stick on...but I have checked them with a digital thermometer and they are pretty accurate...still puzzled.
Old 08-24-2014, 03:26 AM   #4
deeda
Planted Tank Enthusiast

That does sound odd. I know the heater will come on when you initially plug them in but once they reach their set temperature, they should shut off.

Were these heaters purchased new by you or are they used ones?
Eheim Pimpette #270
Old 08-24-2014, 04:17 AM   #5
agro
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (3/100%)

"Like" New, so used? Either this or the heaters unable to read temp of water, but still able to heat.
Old 08-24-2014, 04:47 AM   #6
Richniner
Algae Grower

Angry Odd...

These are heaters I have had but were not in use for awhile. Like I said they look fine but I turn them all the way down and they stay on. That should not happen. With the button ones is there any special trick? I just thought pull up on the button and turn to the desired temp...then lock by pressing in the button? I have some of the MUCH older green Jäger heaters that work fine. Now I have the one with the red dial ... I follow the directions but to no avail...I must be missing something. Even watched a YouTube video to see how to adjust it. I am getting stumped.:mad
Old 08-24-2014, 05:15 AM   #7
agro
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (3/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richniner View Post
These are heaters I have had but were not in use for awhile. Like I said they look fine but I turn them all the way down and they stay on. That should not happen. With the button ones is there any special trick? I just thought pull up on the button and turn to the desired temp...then lock by pressing in the button? I have some of the MUCH older green Jäger heaters that work fine. Now I have the one with the red dial ... I follow the directions but to no avail...I must be missing something. Even watched a YouTube video to see how to adjust it. I am getting stumped.:mad
I got multiple 50-500w jagers, never had that problem.
Old 08-24-2014, 04:16 PM   #8
deeda
Planted Tank Enthusiast

To adjust the factory setting on the ones with the button follow these instructions:
- Unplug the heater
- Measure the water temp with an accurate thermometer
- Pull out the blue button as far as it will go. (sometimes I need to use pliers to do this)
- Set the temperature selector ring so that the indicator arrow points to the temperature you measured.
- Push the blue button back in as far as it will go

This method has worked for me in the past without any problems. However, it is always possible that the heater can no longer determine what the tank temperature actually is as agro noted above.

If you still want to use the heater, you can always purchase a separate heater controller unit that has a temperature probe and a thermostat, they are more expensive than buying a new heater.
Eheim Pimpette #270
Old 08-25-2014, 12:04 AM   #9
GraphicGr8s
Pixel Prestidigitator

PTrader: (10/100%)

Are you sure it's not stuck on?

I've never bothered to calibrate a heater. Waste of time. All I ever do is put the heater in, move the knob until it just turns on then wait until it turns off then look at the thermometer to see if it is warm enough. Not right? Turn it a bit more. Once temp is right I leave it alone. The old heaters only had an arrow indicating which direction to turn it up. And face it those temp markings are only "around" temps anyway.
Here's to our wives and sweethearts - may they never meet.
If you agreed with me we'd both be right.
GraphicGr8s is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-25-2014, 12:27 AM   #10
psych
Planted Member

I set two at the same temperature at either end of a 40 gallon tank and three thermometers attached to the front glass and after facing temperatures that were off by as much three degrees on either side of the tank I finally pumped them up to 85 (no fish, don't worry!) to see what would happen. They're closer together at this temperature (off by about one degree), but I'm still frustrated by the whole experience. Will give it another day or two and see if it straightens out. The whole process is made more difficult by the fact my house temperature is usually a degree or two warmer than what I set the tank at. I have an aqueon pro running in another, smaller, tank that has been spot on for over a year.

Last edited by psych; 08-25-2014 at 02:42 AM.. Reason: -
psych is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-25-2014, 01:10 AM   #11
GraphicGr8s
Pixel Prestidigitator

Why would you return them? Because a stupid scale is off? Set it to the thermometer ans it should also be spot on to the thermometer. You guys have gotten lazy.

If your house is warmer than the tank why do you need a heater at all?
Old 08-25-2014, 02:12 AM   #12
psych
Planted Member

I would return them if I feel they're not working properly. House is warm now, but it gets colder in winter. Don't feel that's lazy.

Last edited by psych; 08-25-2014 at 02:52 AM.. Reason: -
Old 08-25-2014, 02:37 AM   #13
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)

It is highly unlikely for a sealed aquarium heater to be accurate. Even thermometers will have at least +-1f of permissible error, and the stick on ones are pretty much a crapshoot.

Even if your heater is bang on, without strong circulation it is easy for there to be a gradient across the tank.
Old 08-25-2014, 02:41 AM   #14
psych
Planted Member

You're probably right. I owned an older Jager when I was back in grade school and feel frustrated by this experience and having to mess with calibration. Given the size of the tank and the lack of great circulation it's feasible there's a margin of error and I'm just being overly picky here.
Old 08-25-2014, 03:04 AM   #15
GraphicGr8s
Pixel Prestidigitator

psych, when I first started with the heaters that can be "calibrated" I did "calibrate" it. I got the tank to the temp I wanted and moved the ring so it was spot on. Later I moved the heater to another tank it was off. That little ring means about nothing. It is telling you about where you are. Your real goal should be to get the heater to deliver the temp you want according to a thermometer you trust and pretty much forget about the marketing gimmick.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.