Fish compatibility/problems?
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Fish

Old 08-01-2008, 06:32 PM   #1
cwilfinger
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (53/100%)

Fish compatibility/problems?

I'm setting up a planted 55 gal fish tank. I'm thinking about having the following fish and would like to know if anyone has had or heard of any problems from any of these fish....

Thread fin/Feather fin Rainbow Fish - Iriatherina Werneri
Hillstream Loach - Beaufortia Kweichowensis
Harlequin Rasbora - Trigonostigma Heteromorpha
Dwarf Oto - Otocinclus Affinis
Cardinal Tetra - Paracheirodon Axelrodi
Black Neon Tetra - Hyphessobrycon Herbertaxelrodi
Blue Tetra - Boehlkea Fredcochui
Red Ruby/Coral Red Dwarf Pencilfish - Nannosfomus Mortenthaleri
Ember/Fire Tetra - Hypessobrycon Amandae

I will also have shrimp in the tank..
cwilfinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-01-2008, 06:42 PM   #2
lauraleellbp
Fresh Fish Freak

PTrader: (70/100%)

Threadfins I'd normally recommend a species tank for, they're very shy and delicate fish, but I think so are most of the rest of the fish you're currently listing, so they might still work out for you.

Hillstream loaches prefer cooler temperatures and highly oxygenated, fast-flowing water- I personally would recommend a different loach, perhaps dwarf chain (sidthimunki) loaches instead. Or any of the Corydoras species would be great bottom-dwellers/scavengers.

IME Blue tetras can be holy terrors despite their size- this is one species I would not put into a community tank.

Everything else on that list would work great in a community tank.
Tampa Bay Aquarium Society - Next meeting Monday, August 11, 2014 @ 7:15pm- See ya there!

lauraleellbp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2008, 06:53 PM   #3
cwilfinger
Planted Tank Obsessed

Ok, Blue Tetras are crossed off my list. Thanks.
As far as the loaches go, I do not like the looks of an of them (sorry but I think that they are all ugly ). Does anyone know of a different fish that will eat snails?
Old 08-01-2008, 06:56 PM   #4
cwilfinger
Planted Tank Obsessed

Another question...How many fish can I stock in a 55 gal tank that will be semi-heavily planted? Fish will be no larger than 2" when full grown.
Old 08-01-2008, 06:57 PM   #5
lauraleellbp
Fresh Fish Freak

Dwarf puffers, but I personally wouldn't mix those with tetras and rasboras.

Some people have, and report no issues, but I wouldn't do it.

IMO snails are good in planted tanks, especially MTS. If you've got too many snails, it's relatively easy to bait and remove enough to just keep the population under control.
Tampa Bay Aquarium Society - Next meeting Monday, August 11, 2014 @ 7:15pm- See ya there!

Old 08-01-2008, 06:59 PM   #6
cwilfinger
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by lauraleellbp View Post
IMO snails are good in planted tanks, especially MTS. If you've got too many snails, it's relatively easy to bait and remove enough to just keep the population under control.
How do you bait them?
Old 08-01-2008, 07:53 PM   #7
lauraleellbp
Fresh Fish Freak

I put a fish net on the bottom of the tank with some sinking wafers inside. A few hours later just lift out the net with all the snails inside.

Old 08-01-2008, 11:08 PM   #8
Complexity
Pelvicachromis Lover!

PTrader: (34/100%)

Have you looked at dwarf chain loaches? I don't think they have a traditional loach appearance. And their behavior is definitely not like most loaches. They are incredible fish! Very plant friends, very community friendly, and stay small. Get anywhere between 6-12 (or more!) and you will fall in love with them. You'll especially love it when you feed them!
Vicki Rena Filstar pimp #142 (four XP4s/three XP2s/one XP1) Eheim pimp #301 (Pro II 2128) Victor pimp #27 (VTS-253B-320)

90g - Journal Pelvicachromis taeniatus 'Moliwe' 75g - Journal Pelvicachromis pulcher 'Lagos Red' Better Pics 8-24
29g - Journal Pelvicachromis pulcher 'unknown' -- 29g - Pelvicachromis taeniatus 'Moliwe'
5g - RCS colony 2.5g - Journal Retired
Complexity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2008, 01:15 AM   #9
star_splinter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (5/100%)

I have threadfins and I love 'em. They do do better in a species tank, but as long as the other fish are very quiet they should be fine. Guppies get a bit overwhelming for them though--mine were much happier once I took the guppies out of their tank. I did have a dwarf puffer in with them with no problems, but other people have reported issues. Neither of my dwarf puffers have ever bothered even the quietest fish--they're far too busy with snails!

My threadfins don't seem to touch even the tiniest shrimp, either. They're picky eaters with very small mouths and even smaller throats, so keep that in mind. Totally worth it, though, especially if you can find really nice ones!
star_splinter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2008, 02:57 AM   #10
cwilfinger
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Complexity View Post
Have you looked at dwarf chain loaches? I don't think they have a traditional loach appearance. And their behavior is definitely not like most loaches. They are incredible fish! Very plant friends, very community friendly, and stay small. Get anywhere between 6-12 (or more!) and you will fall in love with them. You'll especially love it when you feed them!

I will look into it. Thanks!

I do not plan on having guppies. They are beautiful fish but way too common for my taste. I have also read that they are big bullies to tetras also.
Old 08-02-2008, 04:27 AM   #11
Complexity
Pelvicachromis Lover!

I have guppies, but it started off as a mistake when some fry got into a bag with my first attempt at shrimp (ghost shrimp). And, well, I have them now. But I have separated the males and females so the fry should stop coming soon, if they haven't already stopped (I obviously do not save them).

I have not found my guppies to bully my tetras. The only tetras I have are cardinal tetras, but the guppies are oblivious to them. They're too interested in their own selves to worry about other fish. This goes for the males and females in separate tanks.

Not that I'm recommending guppies. I just wanted to clear up that they don't bully tetras, at least not cardinal tetras (or any other fish I've had).
Vicki Rena Filstar pimp #142 (four XP4s/three XP2s/one XP1) Eheim pimp #301 (Pro II 2128) Victor pimp #27 (VTS-253B-320)

90g - Journal Pelvicachromis taeniatus 'Moliwe' 75g - Journal Pelvicachromis pulcher 'Lagos Red' Better Pics 8-24
29g - Journal Pelvicachromis pulcher 'unknown' -- 29g - Pelvicachromis taeniatus 'Moliwe'
Old 08-02-2008, 06:53 PM   #12
cwilfinger
Planted Tank Obsessed

my appologies.... I'm just going off of what I have read on various sites. Actally, I've only read one reference to it. I've never owned guppies before....
Old 08-02-2008, 07:00 PM   #13
Complexity
Pelvicachromis Lover!

No need to apologize, cwilfinger. Each person's experience is different so someone else may have had problems.

Old 08-02-2008, 08:34 PM   #14
plaakapong
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (0/0%)

I have a few threadfins with a small school of cardinals and it works well. I would pick 2 species, maybe cards and rainbows, or cards and harlequins, and get more of them. Much better IMO to have larger groups of fewer species than the opposite.
I agree that the hillstreams wouldn't be happy, good that you're doing you research before you buy.
plaakapong is offline   Reply With Quote