Jittery blood pigeon discus w/ some white spots.
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Fish

Old 07-27-2008, 07:07 PM   #1
TJT
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

Jittery blood pigeon discus w/ some white spots.

I bought 2 Blood pigeono Discus about 3-4 weeks ago. Things have been going really well until the last couple days. Both seemed to warm up to the tank well, took about 2-3 days untill they began comming around for regular feedings, it even got to the point where they knew to go to the opposite side of the tank to get there food after i put flakes in for the rest of the fish(im now aware they will eat flakes and this may help with my problem as i was just feeding them frozen blood worms)

2 Days ago i noticed one of them wasnt comming up to feed. They are pretty young between 2.5-3" when i bought them from my LFS they couldnt be sure on givening me a male/female because they were a bit to young. Anyways the store is reputable, its not a petland setup and everything other then some oto problems ive bought from them has done great(other then the sword that decided to jump over my heater and out of the back of my tank)

I went to take some pictures of what i thought was a pregnent red albino sword when i decided to take some of the discus to see if anyone could "gender" them for me. Thats when i noticed the one that has been hiding the last couple days with white salt looking spots just about all over him. back fins, side of the body i would say somewhere between 30-40 but all very very small.

I have upped my temp from 80 ill try to take it to 85-86. My ammonia, nitrite and nitrate levels are fine i tested the water 2 days ago. my water is VERY hard, i live in calgary alberta, ive spoke with the lfs and they said without a expensive setup the typical gh down treatments wont work because when i do a WC the hardness will go right back up. my ph is 7.2.

I have looked for some of there poop i couldnt find it with the dark substrate but i know about a week back i saw some that looked like a brown sausage so i think they are internaly healthy. It is a Heavy planted tank, and i did also put 4 tbs of aquarium salt into the water, i dont mind if the plants dont take it well i need to butcher them anyways they are all very fast growning.

like i said so far what im trying to do is
-higher temp 85-86
-4tbs of salt
-try to feed them with higher protine source ie flakes.

i just need to know if this this sounds like itch, no other fish is showing ANY other signs of any spots or behaviour.

ill post some pics.

You can see the spots there.

this is a pic of the other one with no spots. sorry i know its a bit blurry i cant seem to get clear shots of them and i have a nice digital camera maybe someone has a hint or two.

Another question i have i bought 2 male and 1 female red albino swords and after one of them jumped out of the tank(ekkk i know sad) the other two are in-seprable. I consistantly see the male swiming backwards slowly into the female with the sword on his tale, she will move around and he will follow. To me it looks like they have paired and the female has a very large belly im starting to wonder if she has eggs, is there anyway i could tell better? ill post a pic but these were very blurry and not sure if you can see the actual size of the femals belly. Id say shes almost twice as wide as the male.

funny after making this post the discus with the spots is in the middle of the tank looking a lot less timid, but i still need to identify the spots. and the 2 swords are side bye side. lol
TJT is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-27-2008, 07:22 PM   #2
susantroy1
Planted Member

PTrader: (14/100%)

My Guess would be for Ich, I would treat with formalin, This product seems to be the less destructive to all elements of the community tank.... Here is a link you should visit http://forum.simplydiscus.com/index.php

Good luck good looking Juvies
Old 07-27-2008, 08:04 PM   #3
Gatekeeper
Planted Tank VIP

PTrader: (96/100%)

I had a discus with the same exact spot pattern and treating for ich didn't help.

I think you will get some better answers if you go to a discus specialized site such as www.simplydiscus.com and ask there.
Old 07-27-2008, 09:26 PM   #4
TJT
Algae Grower

Did your discus make it? just curious, ill check out that other site. He doesnt seem to be using his one "side fin" much either. It doesnt look damaged i just noticed it was agaisnt his body unless i agitate him then he will use it after he darts away.
Old 07-27-2008, 10:49 PM   #5
Gatekeeper
Planted Tank VIP

PTrader: (96/100%)

No, it eventually got really bad, eyes got cloudy and thats when I relized that it was a misdiagnosis and she was a goner.

Ended up losing two others shortly after. I would try treating with Melafix right away. Make sure you have enough O2 in the tank since high temps and antifungal meds will drive out O2.
Old 07-27-2008, 10:58 PM   #6
TJT
Algae Grower

Im running a HOB filter, with a basic sugar/yeast Co2 setup, i was going to go get some meds today but there was a horrible hail storm and i litteraly turned around on my way to the lfs because i didnt want my car to get damaged. lol

is there a diffrence in Formalin and Melafix?
Old 07-27-2008, 11:03 PM   #7
OverStocked
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (76/94%)

Your Temp should be higher that 80 just keeping discus. Also, at that size they need frequent water changes and frequent feedings.
OverStocked is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-27-2008, 11:04 PM   #8
OverStocked
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (76/94%)

Use formalin, not melafix. Melafix an herbal med that is great in early stages of bacterial diseases or to help repair damaged fins, but will not treat ich or other diseases.
OverStocked is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-27-2008, 11:06 PM   #9
TJT
Algae Grower

yeah i thought 80-82 was ok im getting my temps up to 85-86 now i think its around 84 but im not going to raise it anymore until tomorrow.

ive been doing 2 50% WC a week, i might try 4 smaller changes, ive been crazy busy with work, you know the usual bad excuse. Thanks for the help ill go get some formalin now actualy think that storm passed.
Old 07-28-2008, 01:27 AM   #10
susantroy1
Planted Member

PTrader: (14/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by over_stocked View Post
Use formalin, not melafix. Melafix an herbal med that is great in early stages of bacterial diseases or to help repair damaged fins, but will not treat ich or other diseases.
yup, formalin is also common in treating flukes and other external parasites
Old 07-28-2008, 05:23 AM   #11
TJT
Algae Grower

I picked up some Nox-ich today it was reccomended bye 3 guys at the lfs.

Nox-Ich

Ich, velvet
Sodium chloride, malachite green

did some reading and looks like malachite green is the ingredient that helps, ill see how this goes for a couple days. I'm also using half the dose(1 drop per 2 gal) instead of the normal(1 drop per gal) as the lfs also suggested to do with discus.
Old 07-28-2008, 05:34 AM   #12
lauraleellbp
Fresh Fish Freak

PTrader: (70/100%)

Be forewarned that the malachite green will permanently stain your tank's silicone. Also, when you go with reduced dosages on medications it's generally necessary to extend the length of the treatment to be effective.
Tampa Bay Aquarium Society - Next meeting Monday, Oct 13, 2014 @ 7:15pm- See ya there!
TBAS Annual Fish Auction - November 1st!!

lauraleellbp is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-28-2008, 05:53 AM   #13
kevinstpeter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (4/100%)

Before adding meds, if you havn't already, I would wait to see what happens with more frequent water changes and higher temps. The high temps alone could kill off the Ich, if that is what it is, and the water changes will boost immune systems of all the fish. As said before, make sure O2 levels are high. Also watch the other fish as not many can deal with the high temps that young Discus need. Good luck, hope it all goes well.
kevinstpeter is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-28-2008, 06:24 AM   #14
TJT
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by lauraleellbp View Post
Be forewarned that the malachite green will permanently stain your tank's silicone. Also, when you go with reduced dosages on medications it's generally necessary to extend the length of the treatment to be effective.
Yeah i was warned about the staining, lucky(well not lucky more insightly) this was my first tank and it had black silicone so that doesnt really worry me. I did have one concern though that i read with scaleless fish it can harm them and im not sure if oto's are scaleless or not.

I also bought a powerhead as i read with upping the temps o2 might run thin at night, and i do have a LOT of fish now and a lot of plant growth so i figured it was needed and i want to go with a canister filter soon so its was going to happen sooner then later. I have the powerhead to run when the lights go out. I bought the aquaclear 40 powerhead and that thing is crazy at moving the water, i had to turn it all the way down for my 25g tank. When i first put it in the current was so strong the poor fish were hiding behind rocks and plants as the current was moving the water so much. lol

The temp is about 85 now ill get it to 86 where ill leave it tomorrow. I already dosed once with the med's but ill follow the 3 days as it says if the ich goes away.

Is there any "symptoms" i should watch for if the temps are too high for the other fish? i have oto's barbs and swords. My lfs actualy said they would take the barbs back for store credit because i dont like how agressive they are with feedings so i might not have them for much longer although they have all been healthy and look good in my tank.
Old 07-28-2008, 06:28 AM   #15
lauraleellbp
Fresh Fish Freak

PTrader: (70/100%)

Yes, Otos do tend to be pretty medication- sensitive. If you can move them during treatment I would (just need to make sure to feed them zucchini or similar if you move them to an algae-free tank...)
Tampa Bay Aquarium Society - Next meeting Monday, Oct 13, 2014 @ 7:15pm- See ya there!
TBAS Annual Fish Auction - November 1st!!

lauraleellbp is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.