yellow spotting and holes in leaves
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > Planted Nano Tanks

Old 04-20-2004, 11:21 PM   #1
Google Eye

PTrader: (0/0%)

Hi Everyone,
Well I have a 5 gallon tank that has been up and running for 4 weeks now. It contains an anubias and what the LFS called a rose hedge (sorry I haven't been able to ID this steam plant yet). The "rose's" leaves started to yellow in the center about a week ago. So in reponse I started to dose Kent freshwater plant. Over the course of the week I dosed 1 ml every other day. This seemed to stop the yellowing on the "rose" Then I wake up Sunday morning to find a clear hole with yellow edges in the middle of the newest left on the anubias. The hole is about a 1/4" in diameter. This happened overnight! Please guys how do I stop this.

Ok so here are some facts: I was orginally using a 20 watt cpf 2550 K. I just changed that (today) to a 20w 6500k cpf. I have DIY CO2 running in the tank and a HOB filter and the substrate is neutral gravel with 5oz of laterite mixed in.
The water
NO3 20 ppm
NO2 0
GH 150 ppm
KH 80 ppm
PH 7

So is this caused by Nutrient difficiency or Light?

Thank you for your help.

I'm new but man I love this site
Google Eye is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-26-2004, 04:37 PM   #2
Wasserpest
Are these real?

PTrader: (175/100%)

It isn't easy to balance out tiny 5 gal containers.

I would say you have sufficient light, and that this isn't the problem.

CO2 sounds good too.

Leaves us with a nutrient deficiency. Sometimes potassium deficiency causes holes in leaves. Overnight is a little quick, but still... If you add K, you need to be careful as any overage might cause problems with Ca/Mg uptake in your soft water.
Wasserpest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2004, 05:07 PM   #3
SCMurphy
PT Biologist

PTrader: (4/100%)

I've seen where adding K can stop and sometimes help anubius plants repair pinholes in the leaves. I agree with Wasser that you should try that first. Also remember to add a little iron to the water, anubius plants love that.

Aquascape? I'm a crypt farmer.

It's a fine line between fishing and standing on the shore looking like an idiot.

That IS an aquascape, it's titled "The Vacant Lot".
SCMurphy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2004, 10:54 PM   #4
aquabillpers
Planted Member

I did a search on "rose hedge" and "aquarium" and no aquatic plant references turned up. I could find no references to it in Kasslemann's "Aquarium Plants". either.

If your plant is really a terrestrial plant - and LFS's have been known to sell those as aquarium plants - all the care in the word will not keep it alive underwater.

I suggest that you ID it (maybe using the Tropica site, which has a lot of pictures) and if you can't find a positive, plant it outside in your garden and move on.

Good luck!

Bill
aquabillpers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2004, 12:32 AM   #5
corigan
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by aquabillpers
I did a search on "rose hedge" and "aquarium" and no aquatic plant references turned up. I could find no references to it in Kasslemann's "Aquarium Plants". either.
All hedges, no matter what color are not aquatic plants and will all die after being submerged after an amount of time. Here is a profile for hedges.

http://www.plantgeek.net/plantguide_viewer.php?id=234

Matt
Member #6 of the Eheim Pimp Club - 2 Eheim 2213 & 2215 w/ surface extractor, LiquidDoser and Auto Feeder.
corigan is offline   Reply With Quote