The importance of routine maintenance.
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Equipment

Old 11-24-2014, 03:32 PM   #1
TankFreak420
Algae Grower

PTrader: (2/100%)

The importance of routine maintenance.

So this morning I got a vary rude wake up. My roommate came in and told me there was a tank emergency and she didn't know what to do. At night we put a sheet or light blanket on 2 of our 6 tanks. She was taking them off and was shocked to find the one over the 38g was soaked. It was wet, the filter was wet, everything on that side of the tank to the power strip was wet. I haven't used a drip loop in years and could have really paid for it today, there are 2 tanks on that strip. Now the whole reason everything was wet and I lost 3" of water in the tank. I have been slipping on maintenance, the Fluval 50 filter was overflowing on the pump side. The water was not getting into the filter side as fast as it was being pumped. What was the problem? Clogged foam....

Lessons here. Always use a drip loop, and remember to clean your filters monthly. Set a alarm on your phone if you need to.

I got really lucky today and didn't lose anything but some water and sleep.
RAOK Club Member #151
5g Hex, 2 10g, 15g, 38g, 40g B, 120g (in the making)
TankFreak420 is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-24-2014, 05:30 PM   #2
PlantedRich
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (1/100%)

I really agree with your basic idea but have some thoughts/questions about the filter.
Does it not have some design to let it bypass the water when the filter is clogged? I've not used that brand but the HOB I have used all had some way for the water to continue flowing without running over.
Bad design or maybe the HOB is missing something to keep it tipped right so it will bypass? On Aquaclear there is a small plastic part that can get knocked off and let the water run out the back. Nothing like that happening?
PlantedRich is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-24-2014, 05:36 PM   #3
charlie 1
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PlantedRich View Post
I really agree with your basic idea but have some thoughts/questions about the filter.
Does it not have some design to let it bypass the water when the filter is clogged? I've not used that brand but the HOB I have used all had some way for the water to continue flowing without running over.
Bad design or maybe the HOB is missing something to keep it tipped right so it will bypass? On Aquaclear there is a small plastic part that can get knocked off and let the water run out the back. Nothing like that happening?
Fluval 50 is the aquaclear,.Aquaclear brand will no longer exist.
charlie 1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-24-2014, 05:39 PM   #4
PlantedRich
Planted Tank Guru

Okay, I fully admit that I follow current HOB very little. I guess my question would be if the design has changed or if there is a part missing on the OP filter? Meanwhile is anybody else missing most of the their postings this morning?
Old 11-24-2014, 05:47 PM   #5
roadmaster
Planted Tank Guru

[QUOTE=charlie 1;7018266]Fluval 50 is the aquaclear,.Aquaclear brand will no longer exist.[/QUOT

Since when is the aquaclear brand to be discontinued?
Tried google search without success on the topic.
Gahhhh!
First Doctors foster Smith to be no more and now the aquaclear's??
roadmaster is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-24-2014, 05:52 PM   #6
charlie 1
Planted Member

[quote=roadmaster;7018290]
Quote:
Originally Posted by charlie 1 View Post
Fluval 50 is the aquaclear,.Aquaclear brand will no longer exist.[/QUOT

Since when is the aquaclear brand to be discontinued?
Tried google search without success on the topic.
Gahhhh!
First Doctors foster Smith to be no more and now the aquaclear's??
The switch is in process, Hagen is rebranding & streamlining it`s products, all aquarium products will now have the Fluval name, it`s the exact same Hagen product.

Bump: [quote=charlie 1;7018314]
Quote:
Originally Posted by roadmaster View Post
The switch is in process, Hagen is rebranding & streamlining it`s products, all aquarium products will now have the Fluval name, it`s the exact same Hagen product.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tmChJYW8_3s
charlie 1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-24-2014, 07:06 PM   #7
david765
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Default Speak to an electrician!

It's called capillary action.

When you put a blanket near water, condensation, water vapour, moisture in the air/high humidity, etc., it becomes a sponge and it will begin to siphon water from your tank. I wouldn't put a blanket over a tank.

I am not an electrician and I have no official qualifications: you should speak to an expert.

Last edited by david765; 11-24-2014 at 08:27 PM.. Reason: edit
david765 is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-24-2014, 09:51 PM   #8
Mark Allred
Planted Member

Most of the AC filters have a cam on the bottom of the filter reservoir allowing you to adjust the angle it hangs at. If the filter is somewhat plugged, and the top is not tipped in towards the tank a bit, it can/will overflow, Ask me how I know... ☺
Mark Allred is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old Yesterday, 12:02 AM   #9
TankFreak420
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by david765 View Post
When you put a blanket near water, condensation, water vapour, moisture in the air/high humidity, etc., it becomes a sponge and it will begin to siphon water from your tank. I wouldn't put a blanket over a tank.
that was not even close to the problem and I have been covering my 40g breeder for over a year without problems. I have DIY glass tops. The filter was overflowing. I watched it do it. The foam pad was black with gunk. Rinsed it out and problem was solved. Looking at the filter and yes it dose have a "run off" but I guess it wasn't working. I originally blew off Mark Allred's comment about the angle of the filter, thinking derrr I'm not that dumb. Sence I was looking that the filter anyway I checked and sure enough I was one notch to far back, but it looked level, tell I saw level. Really still shouldn't have overflowed out the back between the lid. I'll just remember to clean it now lol.
RAOK Club Member #151
5g Hex, 2 10g, 15g, 38g, 40g B, 120g (in the making)
TankFreak420 is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old Yesterday, 01:03 AM   #10
PlantedRich
Planted Tank Guru

That little cam is a spot that has failed me several times with my daughter's tank. Someway in cleaning it gets out of position and it does run over the back. Glad to hear it was that simple to fix. Lots of things cost more time and money.
Old Yesterday, 01:30 AM   #11
FatherLandDescendant
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by TankFreak420 View Post
but it looked level, tell I saw level. Really still shouldn't have overflowed out the back between the lid.
You wouldn't want it level, but tilted slightly tipped towards the tank. At level water can flow over the outsides of the tank.
FatherLandDescendant is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.