Regulator question
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Equipment

Old 02-08-2015, 12:46 PM   #1
natebuchholz
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (4/100%)
Question

Regulator question

Hey everyone,

I just bought a Tunze 7077/3 regulator. I had heard it is super sturdy and well constructed. So far it seems to be true, but it has one drawback. There is not a solenoid included and you need to purchase your own. I also just purchased the tune 7074.400 solenoid in hopes that they will be compatible.

I really don't want to put the solenoid in line in fear of a blow out in my line due to pressure. Do you think because they are the same brand they could be adapted together with brass fittings?

I am also curious if I will then need a needle valve after the solenoid? If so any suggestions?

Thanks everyone! You are all a great help!

Journals:
Long............XII
natebuchholz is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-08-2015, 01:25 PM   #2
Dead2fall
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by natebuchholz View Post
Hey everyone,

I just bought a Tunze 7077/3 regulator. I had heard it is super sturdy and well constructed. So far it seems to be true, but it has one drawback. There is not a solenoid included and you need to purchase your own. I also just purchased the tune 7074.400 solenoid in hopes that they will be compatible.

I really don't want to put the solenoid in line in fear of a blow out in my line due to pressure. Do you think because they are the same brand they could be adapted together with brass fittings?

I am also curious if I will then need a needle valve after the solenoid? If so any suggestions?

Thanks everyone! You are all a great help!
I'm sure you can put them together. If they don't natively fit together, you'll just have to find the right fittings etc to make your post body with. As for the needle valve, is it absolutely necessary.. No... Does it make things much easier and give you a much higher level of control?... Yes.
Dead2fall is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-08-2015, 02:48 PM   #3
PlantedRich
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (2/100%)

What pressure are you running that makes you fear a blowout? One way to avoid the blowout of course would be to use a higher grade tubing but I just read one post who uses 90 PSI with tubing so maybe it is not a problem? It's not like a blowout would do anything other than waste the gas.
PlantedRich is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-08-2015, 04:05 PM   #4
natebuchholz
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by PlantedRich View Post
What pressure are you running that makes you fear a blowout? One way to avoid the blowout of course would be to use a higher grade tubing but I just read one post who uses 90 PSI with tubing so maybe it is not a problem? It's not like a blowout would do anything other than waste the gas.
I was planning on using the rigid CO2 grade tubing regardless. I need to be running enough pressure to utilized an atomic inline style diffuser. This wouldn't reach the 90 psi amount by a long shot. Inline would probably be fine but I would prefer not having to worry about it.

Journals:
Long............XII
Old 02-08-2015, 08:02 PM   #5
charlie 1
Planted Tank Obsessed

It appears that regulator comes with a needle valve.
The solenoid you listed comes with push to connect fittings at either end of the solenoid, you will need to determine if the black push to connect fittings are screwed into the solenoid, if so unscrew it & figure out the type of thread they use.
It would then be a case of getting the appropriate fittings, remove the needle valve , affix fitting to Regulator then solenoid to the fitting & needle valve to solenoid.
Or you can just contact Tunze USA & ask them about the threads
TUNZE USA LLC
305 Victor St
Austin TX 78753
Location in Google Maps
Telephone: (512)-833-7546
Facsimile: (512)-832-6082
E-mail address: tunze@sbcglobal.net
Old 02-08-2015, 08:10 PM   #6
natebuchholz
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by charlie 1 View Post
It appears that regulator comes with a needle valve.
The solenoid you listed comes with push to connect fittings at either end of the solenoid, you will need to determine if the black push to connect fittings are screwed into the solenoid, if so unscrew it & figure out the type of thread they use.
It would then be a case of getting the appropriate fittings, remove the needle valve , affix fitting to Regulator then solenoid to the fitting & needle valve to solenoid.
Or you can just contact Tunze USA & ask them about the threads
TUNZE USA LLC
305 Victor St
Austin TX 78753
Location in Google Maps
Telephone: (512)-833-7546
Facsimile: (512)-832-6082
E-mail address: tunze@sbcglobal.net
Thank you! I will look into that!

Journals:
Long............XII
Old 02-09-2015, 01:13 AM   #7
PlantedRich
Planted Tank Guru

Checking the manual it looks like that reg is limited to 29 PSI? Is this a problem with the diffuser?
PlantedRich is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.