Filtration/floating debris
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Equipment

Old 05-01-2015, 12:17 PM   #1
Donald Corbett
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

Filtration/floating debris

I have a Eheim Classic 2215 on a 37g tank using fluorite for substrate. I can't seem to get a handle on crystal clear water free of debris. I found myself thinking I need more filtration but the more I thought about it I wondered if this could be happening because of too much current in the tank? With less flow wouldn't this stuff just settle naturally so it could be periodically vacuumed? I'm not really a fan of my plants blowing allover so I'd like to try to avoid creating even more current.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Donald Corbett is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-01-2015, 02:00 PM   #2
BBradbury
Wannabe Guru

Default Filtration/floating debris

Hello Don...

Canister filters are fine, but not for smaller tanks. Your Eheim is designed for a much larger tank, around 100 gallons. Get a Hagen filter that hangs on the back, say an AC 50 and use some poly fiber padding filter media from Acurel. This filter isn't too strong and the poly fiber will attract and hold the small floating particles that make the water hazy.

Save the canister for a much larger tank. More filtration isn't better, it's just more. The key to clear water and a healthy tank is a good poly fiber filter media and large, weekly water changes. Work up to the point you're removing and replacing at least half the water weekly and service the filter regularly and you'll have few, if any tank problems.

B
Old 05-01-2015, 03:15 PM   #3
Donald Corbett
Algae Grower

I'm using a canister to specifically avoid gas exchange because of pressurized CO2. I also run my heater and diffuser inline. Maybe I'll look into some smaller canisters.

Old 05-01-2015, 04:24 PM   #4
sushant
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBradbury View Post
Hello Don...

Canister filters are fine, but not for smaller tanks.
B
I don't quite agree to the above statement, I use a 2213 on my five gallon and the water is always crystal clear. I guess he need something to diffuse the flow . Try directing the flow on one of the longer glass wall, hope this will aolve your problem else try usinguse spray bar.
sushant is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-01-2015, 04:28 PM   #5
jrill
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (4/100%)

If there is too much flow just close the output disconnect valve to a flow rate you want.
jrill is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-01-2015, 04:38 PM   #6
Donald Corbett
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrill View Post
If there is too much flow just close the output disconnect valve to a flow rate you want.

I'm going to experiment with the flow rate a little and if toning it down improves on the debris then I actually have a 55 gallon I may use this filter on and I'll pick up 2213. I like the idea of high amounts of filtration for fish load so maybe the flow is the key.

Old 05-01-2015, 04:40 PM   #7
jrill
Wannabe Guru

I guess I don't get why there is so much debris but then I have never used fluorite.
Old 05-01-2015, 04:45 PM   #8
Donald Corbett
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrill View Post
I guess I don't get why there is so much debris but then I have never used fluorite.

I don't think it has anything to do specifically with the fluorite. I think it's the fact that normal fish waste and plant debris is getting blown around so much it can never settle or make it's way to the outtake. I've tried multiple different outflow and inflow positions within the tank with no luck.

Old 05-01-2015, 04:48 PM   #9
jrill
Wannabe Guru

Hmm. Well.... I have always had high fish loads and high plant loads with fairly high flow. Never had that problem. Have you had a large die off of plants?
Old 05-01-2015, 04:50 PM   #10
Donald Corbett
Algae Grower

Default Filtration/floating debris

I just added pressurized co2 so everything is actually growing like crazy. Prior it was average low tech slow growth with older leaves being rough around the edges. Maybe the plants are shedding so to say because of the growth explosion.

Old 05-02-2015, 03:36 AM   #11
Donald Corbett
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by sushant View Post
I don't quite agree to the above statement, I use a 2213 on my five gallon and the water is always crystal clear. I guess he need something to diffuse the flow . Try directing the flow on one of the longer glass wall, hope this will aolve your problem else try usinguse spray bar.

Aimed the outflow at the glass and moved the intake to the opposite side and presto. Not to mention eliminating all the current made me be able to watch my entire tank pearl and stream micro bubbles.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.