Rena filstar xp3 problem
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Equipment

Old 09-04-2014, 09:39 PM   #1
Shamus.Flynn
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

Rena filstar xp3 problem

I ot a rena xp3 canister filter and it has hardly any pressure anymore. is there any idea what the problem is? I am seeing that might been a new impeller but I am just checking with anybody else who has this problem before I get a new impeller for it. incase its another problem. I read that if its the motor it just wont turn on anymore and if impeller it will slowly have less and less pressure till it has hardly any pressure left which is what mine did.
Shamus.Flynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-05-2014, 12:00 AM   #2
Shamus.Flynn
Algae Grower

i cleans the impeller and everything I could reach with the impeller cover off and still didn't make a difference really. anybody else have any ideas what could be wrong?
Old 09-05-2014, 12:21 AM   #3
PlantedRich
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (1/100%)

Canisters are simple and usually have simple solutions. You are correct in if the impeller is turning it is not likely to be the other part of the motor at fault. If the impeller is clean and doesn't have a lot of drag from dirt and algae, look at other things. A frequent problem can be a piece of hard media getting into the tubing or somewhere else to block flow. Got any little elbows where something could hide out of sight. Maybe take the filter or tubing to a sink and run water through to make sure flow is good? Start at one end and work your way to the other end to check for blockage. Maybe a small fish that got sucked in and jammed sideways? Bet you find something simple that is hard to find!
PlantedRich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2014, 12:26 AM   #4
Shamus.Flynn
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by PlantedRich View Post
Canisters are simple and usually have simple solutions. You are correct in if the impeller is turning it is not likely to be the other part of the motor at fault. If the impeller is clean and doesn't have a lot of drag from dirt and algae, look at other things. A frequent problem can be a piece of hard media getting into the tubing or somewhere else to block flow. Got any little elbows where something could hide out of sight. Maybe take the filter or tubing to a sink and run water through to make sure flow is good? Start at one end and work your way to the other end to check for blockage. Maybe a small fish that got sucked in and jammed sideways? Bet you find something simple that is hard to find!
lol thanks. that I didn't think about. ill do that and see how it goes. only 2 feet of hose so shouldn't be much that could get sucked in there and there is a cover over the inlet tube so don't think could be that but idk where else to look haha.
Old 09-05-2014, 12:34 AM   #5
lauraleellbp
Fresh Fish Freak

PTrader: (70/100%)

How well are you cleaning your sponges? IME it's the sponges getting clogged that slow the flow down the most on an XP, outside of mechanical issues.
Tampa Bay Aquarium Society - Next meeting Monday, Sept 8, 2014 @ 7:15pm- See ya there!
TBAS Annual Fish Auction - November 1st!!

lauraleellbp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2014, 12:50 AM   #6
NJAquaBarren
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (10/100%)

And media can clog too.

Check your intake.
Eheim Pimp Club member #414, 2076 Pro 3e
Fluval G6
NJAquaBarren is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2014, 01:09 AM   #7
Shamus.Flynn
Algae Grower

cleaned out the impeller/hoses and washed all the sponges and filter change and everything else I could possible do even clean out the fittings with pipe cleaners and it seems to be working now. I couldn't see anything clogged in the lines since I cleaned into the sink so I could see any stuff inside but was a lot of grime in the hoses and fittings and everywhere and got all that out so I think its all better. need to start doing the water changes and cleaning more often now I guess. thanks for all the help
Old 09-05-2014, 01:27 AM   #8
Diana
Planted Tank Guru

It could well be that there was no one thing, just the accumulation of stuff all through the system.
Water flows best through smooth tubing, so cleaning it all is good.
Just watch for an ammonia or nitrite spike, just in case the bacteria population got reduced from such a thorough cleaning.

Yes, milder cleaning more often is a good policy.
Tank one week, filter the next... and so on.
Diana is online now   Reply With Quote