Opinions on Media Configurations for SunSun 3 Stage?
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Equipment

Old 10-16-2014, 09:31 AM   #1
goodbytes
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

Opinions on Media Configurations for SunSun 3 Stage?

I've been toying with the idea of getting a canister for some time but I just couldn't afford, nay, stomach the prices of the more reputable brands. But I'm always on the lookout for a bargain and whenever I find a budget piece of equipment that performs adequately and reliably I find it uniquely satisfying. I had been doing some research on the SunSun filters and when I saw I could have the HW-302 for $43.00 USD shipped to my front door I just couldn't pass it up. I got it to replace an AquaClear 70 because it is just too darn loud for the living room and it is quite an eyesore.

Anyway, the SunSun HW-302 comes with three media baskets and I have absolutely no experience with canister filters. I plan on filling one of the baskets with ceramic bio rings but I don't know what would be best to use for the other two baskets or in what order to layer them. I am aware that opinions will differ but I'd like to hear what people have had successes and failures with.
goodbytes is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-16-2014, 12:50 PM   #2
bobfig
Algae Grower

PTrader: (3/100%)

i been wanting to get one. what i would do is lowest tray would be foam going from course to fine then maybe some filter floss in the middle tray. on the top try fill with ether eheim substrat pro or sheachem matrix

http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/sh...d.php?t=737106
bobfig is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2014, 04:06 PM   #3
MChambers
Planted Member

PTrader: (1/100%)

I use poret foam in the lower two baskets, with matrix in the top basket.
MChambers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2014, 05:50 AM   #4
goodbytes
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

In light of all this new information and the incompatibility of my planned every six months maintenance schedule with porous media that clogs up, I'll just go with incrementally finer sponges for each of the three stages maybe with poly fill in the top rack. My tank is heavily laden with plants so the biological filtration in three layers of sponge should be adequate.

Where is the best place to get sponge for aquarium use? I'm sure it can be gotten for cheaper and then cut to fit rather than buying sponges made specifically for canisters.

Last edited by goodbytes; 10-17-2014 at 10:43 AM.. Reason: Had a question.
goodbytes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2014, 02:05 PM   #5
bobfig
Algae Grower

PTrader: (3/100%)

http://www.swisstropicals.com/filtra...ret-foam-shop/
bobfig is online now   Reply With Quote