Fluval mini co2 20 kit?
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Equipment

Old 10-16-2014, 04:43 PM   #1
snarf
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

Fluval mini co2 20 kit?

Hi all, Thanks in advance for any help.

I am rebuilding a 20G Long tank that I had from a while back and I currently have pretty much everything already minus scape materials and co2 which brings me to my question:

I plan on buying/building a proper co2 setup at a later time but in the interim I don't want to run the tank with no co2 at all, is the Fluval mini co2 20 kit complete garbage? Am I better off just running without co2 for a month or two and saving the $25?

The design I have planned isn't too heavily planted (a fair bit will be hardscape) and a lot of it will be moss, some dwarf baby tears and some yet to be determined plants, the lighting is a 48w AquaticLife T5 HO mounted 3" above the canopy, 15 - 20 ember tetras and the filter is an Eheim 2213.

Edit: I forgot to mention the substrate will be ADA Amazonia

Again thanks for any help.
snarf is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-17-2014, 12:32 PM   #2
Darkblade48

PTrader: (3/100%)

The CO2 kit does what it is supposed to do, namely get CO2 into your water column.

However, that being said, you'd end up spending a lot on replacement cartridges (if you decide to stay with it), as they are proprietary, I believe.

Personally, I would save the $25 and invest in a proper CO2 system.

A Primer to Pressurized CO2 and A Primer to Planted Tanks
Eheim Pimp #362 - Eheim 2213 x2, Eheim 2028, Eheim 2217, Eheim surface skimmer and Eheim autofeeder.
Victor Pimp #33 - HPT272-125-350-4M
Darkblade48 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-17-2014, 01:37 PM   #3
brooksie321
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (1/100%)

I have one and its a complete pain in the but, impossible to maintain a steady bubble count. It's works best with the 45g. Cartridges sold at petco.
brooksie321 is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-17-2014, 08:08 PM   #4
snarf
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

Yeah, I think I will hold off. I think the tank will be fine without co2 for a month or two, I'll just lower the amount of lighting. Thanks.
snarf is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.