Help! Is something wrong? 0 pressure
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Equipment

Old 11-24-2014, 03:45 AM   #1
Matthew RJ
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)

Help! Is something wrong? 0 pressure

I just started pressurized CO2 in Sept. I've been watching the gauges, but didn't notice any decrease. Suddenly the tank is reading empty and I've got 0 bubbles going on.

It's a 10lb CO2 tank on a 40 gallon tank, but seems early for me to be filling.

What concerns me is that a toddler knocked it over. I'm now thinking about moving the tank into the cabinet.

Update: I by-passed the timer, and bubbles came on very quickly. There's obviously some gas still left in the tank. Pictures to follow soon.

I thought my little monkey must have closed the gas to the tank. When I re-opened it, I didn't see the pressure gauge change (much).
EHEIM 2071, Pimp #558.

Last edited by Matthew RJ; 11-24-2014 at 03:51 AM.. Reason: update
Matthew RJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-24-2014, 03:56 AM   #2
Midnighttide102
Planted Tank Obsessed

You do realize your dealing with a potential rocket if the bottle was to be knocked over and the neck broke it can take off like a missle if you have to keep it on outside of cabinet at least strap it to cabinet so it can't be knocked over
As far as being empty it is too soon unless after being knocked over you have a leak or your settings are out of whack
Midnighttide102 is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-24-2014, 03:57 AM   #3
Matthew RJ
Planted Member

Thanks for the heads up - kid has never noticed it before, so why now!?

I'll be moving into the cabinet tonight.
EHEIM 2071, Pimp #558.
Old 11-24-2014, 04:05 AM   #4
oldpunk78
/)ಠ_ಠ(\

PTrader: (107/100%)

Looks like a really nice unit. Perhaps the nut that connects the reg to cylinder needs to be tighter next time. It might have been enough getting knocked over to compromise the seal. You should check the whole thing for leaks with soapy water whole you're at it.
oldpunk78 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-24-2014, 04:05 AM   #5
FlyingHellFish
Planted Tank Guru

Perfect time for a refill considering the warm weather we're having lately, what psi does your high pressure read?

And yes, I think you should put it in a cabinet, Co2 is extremely cold.

When you get your cylinder refilled, the cylinder gets purged and recharged and purged again to make it cold, which allows for more co2. So basically, the little bit of liquid Co2 or gas left in the cylinder gets discharged anyways.

PS - That looks so familiar, it's a Matheson 3810 right? Probably a Scott brand. It's weird because I have the same psi reading as you.
Old 11-24-2014, 04:12 AM   #6
Matthew RJ
Planted Member

Does anyone have directions for shutting the system down? I've seen the instructions by darkblade in the sticky on the CO2 primer about start up. I need the opposite if I'm going to re-fill at this point.
EHEIM 2071, Pimp #558.
Old 11-24-2014, 04:20 AM   #7
FlyingHellFish
Planted Tank Guru

Girl scout method-

You close the cylinder handle, while having the Co2 regulator on. Wait till all the gauge say zero and just disconnect.

Canadian Lumber jack method-

Close the cylinder handle, disconnect the Co2 system from cylinder.

Note - If your high pressure gauge is zero, then do the Lumber jack method. If you have a bit of Co2 left, you get a high PSSSSSS that it.

PS - Where you get that set up? Those gauges are replacements, usually stock gauges on Mathesons are these:

I'm hovering at the same psi as you lol
Old 11-24-2014, 04:23 AM   #8
Matthew RJ
Planted Member

Default ok

hi pressure is like the picture above and still holding at 300 psi

The regulator is a specialty build from someone on this forum.

Maybe I haven't been paying attention to the gauges. Would 300 be normal from a start in Sept? Assuming all is well, how long might this remainder last?
EHEIM 2071, Pimp #558.

Last edited by Matthew RJ; 11-24-2014 at 04:40 AM.. Reason: more info
Old 11-24-2014, 04:59 AM   #9
FlyingHellFish
Planted Tank Guru

No, if it says 300 psi then you never had a full cylinder. A 10lb on a 40 gallon (let say 2bps) should last way longer than 6 months.

It should read 800 - 1000 psi when you first get it. If the cylinder valve was close, and the system was turn on, then it normal to see bubbles until the reminding Co2 is gone which reads 0 psi from the gauge.

If the high pressure gauge reads less than 300, then you need a refill. And you should redo a leak test when you get everything set up again. Who sold you that?
Old 11-24-2014, 05:36 AM   #10
oldpunk78
/)ಠ_ಠ(\

PTrader: (107/100%)

Rebranded Mathesons don't have Matheson gauges, Tony.
oldpunk78 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-24-2014, 06:19 AM   #11
FlyingHellFish
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldpunk78 View Post
Rebranded Mathesons don't have Matheson gauges, Tony.
I know, I was trying to say if it was a Mathesons, the gauges are replacements. I think that a Scott speciality gas, which is really nice too.

Hey Matt, don't worry too much about the empty cylinder, I wasted a ton of Co2 in my 10lb too. Just do a leak test on when you get back a full cylinder.
Old 11-24-2014, 11:37 AM   #12
Matthew RJ
Planted Member

Thanks for the help. I won't be able to get it filled until tonight or tomorrow.

Can someone remind me of the wrench size for the CGA 320 nut to CO2 tank?
EHEIM 2071, Pimp #558.

Last edited by Matthew RJ; 11-24-2014 at 12:03 PM.. Reason: more info
Old 11-24-2014, 03:40 PM   #13
PlantedRich
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (1/100%)

This is a very sturdy nut and can take a very strong twist. Many avoid getting the correct wrench due to not wanting to waste money. Good idea but poor when it comes to fact. I recommend getting a 8-10" Crescent style wrench if one is not on hand. It can save you money. I find them in the $6-10 range and one failure to get the fitting closed can cost that much in lost gas. You may quite likely find this wrench handy for any number of other projects as time goes on.
I go for the old method of finger tight plus a 1/4 turn. Then do a leak check with soap.
PlantedRich is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-24-2014, 08:16 PM   #14
Matthew RJ
Planted Member

Default wrench

Can I do a soap test with what little gas I have in the canister? I'm getting bubbles now that the solenoid is turned on. Still reading low (300) pressure.
EHEIM 2071, Pimp #558.
Old 11-24-2014, 08:33 PM   #15
PlantedRich
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (1/100%)

Yes the test with soap will be there almost until the tank is flat out. Mix a really thick soap mix almost like shaving cream or whipped cream, then swab it on all the parts and connections. If you have a really big leak it may try to blow the soap off but if there is even a small leak like the pressure when you blow soap bubbles with your mouth, you will get small bubbles that get larger given a bit. That is part of it. Swab it on and wait and watch for those that get bigger. Then wipe it all down so that it's not a gooey mess.
Not sure if you've picked up how the meters may work. They will stay near the same for a long time after filling them. Just maybe go up and down a little if the tank temperature changes. It will stay high (800-1200) until all the liquid CO2 is used and then when it is gone you will start to see the pressure go down as you use the gas that is left. At 300 hundred PSI, I might guess several days to go flat out.
But then if you have a large leak, the whole guess is out? A leak like that might be felt if you run your hand over things as the gas is really, really cold. Frostbite cold if you feel of it long enough to do that!
PlantedRich is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.