Tell me everything about snails.
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > General Planted Tank Discussion

Old 08-06-2014, 12:58 AM   #1
GrumpyGills
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

Tell me everything about snails.

So I am still cycling my tank, waiting for nitrites to go down. Today I found a tiny snail crawling on one of my plants. Smaller than a grain of rice, totally black.

Part of me was a little excited simply because this is the first time I've had a living thing in a tank other than plants and it was cool to look into my tank and see some life... but I killed it anyway since I have heard that their populations easily get out of control. RIP in peace Larry the Snail, 2014-2014. For some reason I feel bad for killing it haha. I almost left it but it will be easier to buy snails in the future than get rid of an infestation if I don't want them.

I guess I will just be on the lookout for the next few days. Interesting that it is living in a tank with nitrites off the chart.
GrumpyGills is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-06-2014, 01:04 AM   #2
Zorfox
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (5/100%)

Paraphrasing, "I was so excited to see life in my tank. I even named him Larry the snail...then I killed him." That made me laugh out loud!
Zorfox is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-06-2014, 01:14 AM   #3
RUNuts
Algae Grower

PTrader: (1/100%)

Had red ramshorns a long time ago. Eggs everywhere. Really neat to watch them develop.
After I had a mess, they became goldfish snacks for the goldfish in the next tank over. Num, num.

I'll be getting more.
RUNuts is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-06-2014, 08:19 PM   #4
Rhenerie
Algae Grower

PTrader: (2/100%)

I've been trying to read up on snails myself recently. On one hand I keep reading they can't handle the acidity in a Co2 injected tank, but then it seems like everyone has them and can't get rid of them.

I do want some snails for their great cleaning ability, but don't want a huge population boom. I know you can keep the population in check by not over feeding but I'm nervous as I've never dealt with them before.
Rhenerie is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-06-2014, 09:21 PM   #5
greaser84
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (10/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhenerie View Post
I've been trying to read up on snails myself recently. On one hand I keep reading they can't handle the acidity in a Co2 injected tank, but then it seems like everyone has them and can't get rid of them.

I do want some snails for their great cleaning ability, but don't want a huge population boom. I know you can keep the population in check by not over feeding but I'm nervous as I've never dealt with them before.
Nerite snails is your answer, they lay eggs but they don't hatch unless in brackish water.
Old 08-06-2014, 09:41 PM   #6
Aquadawg
Algae Killer

I prefer assassins and amano shrimp. Nerite snails will leave a trail of white dots everywhere which I personally don't care for, but do a good job on the algae.

Best,

Joe
Aquadawg is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-06-2014, 09:47 PM   #7
cjstl
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aquadawg View Post
I prefer assassins and amano shrimp. Nerite snails will leave a trail of white dots everywhere which I personally don't care for, but do a good job on the algae.
My assassins killed my amano shrimp. I had to isolate the assassins and they eventually died from a nitrate spike in their bowl.
cjstl is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-06-2014, 09:59 PM   #8
Aquadawg
Algae Killer

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjstl View Post
My assassins killed my amano shrimp. I had to isolate the assassins and they eventually died from a nitrate spike in their bowl.
Assassins only kill other snails and shrimp/ fish that are already in peril as a rule. They are opportunistic feeders. I literally have shrimp in my tank trying to push assassin's away from brine to steal it from them. You are sadly a very small exception to the rule. A 50% water change weekly will prevent nitrate spikes. "Especially in a bowl."

Best,

Joe
Aquadawg is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.