Hood w/ CFL Lighting
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > DIY

Old 08-05-2014, 08:01 PM   #1
AHGoodwin
Planted Member

PTrader: (1/100%)
Hood w/ CFL Lighting

This is going to be my first hood build. It is for my 29 gallon. Any feedback would be greatly appreciated. Since this is my first time, I would like to have any potential problems pointed out beforehand so hopefully I don't make any major mistakes. I have made a model in sketchup (it is rough as I am still learning how to use all the features).

Materials:

3x Porcelain Light Socket
3x 26 Watt 6500k CFL
1x 24inch LED Strip
2x Sanyo Denki San Ace 92 48V .12A DC 92mm x 32mm Cooling Fan
5-6x 6ft Extension Cord 13 Amp, 125-volt, 1,625-watt capacity
2x Small-Medium Hinges
2x Corner Brace (will explain later)
1x Small-Medium Handle
Aluminum Flashing
Plywood
1x3 in board
Small Screws
Black paint

The plan:

The hood itself will be built with plywood. The plywood will be painted black prior to assembly so I won't have to worry about getting paint on any of the electrical. The hood dimensions will be such that it will sit on top of the tank, and then I will use the 1x3 board to make a frame around the bottom of the hood that will overlap the outer perimeter of the tank to prevent the hood from sliding off.

The purpose of the LED light strip will be to come on slightly before and turn off slightly after the main lights to lessen the shock of the drastic change in light. They will be attached to the lid of the hood using plywood held on with the braces which will be bent appropriately to give the proper angle.

Although the images do not show it, there will be holes cut in the hood where the fans are and they will be used as exhaust. This will help vent the heat from the lights, as well as keep cat hair out of my tank.

The "front" reflector will be attached to the lid. Although this may result in less than ideal angle for lighting purposes, it will ensure maximum room for access when open.

Each CFL as well as the LED strip will have its own power cord.

QUESTION I would like to run both fans off of one single cord but want to check with those more knowledgeable about electrical requirements. Please forgive me if this is incorrect, but I know was of the understanding that one of the measurements for capacity (watts, volts, or amps) is not a measure of the total allowed, but more of a maximum for each individual item. Is that this amps? If so, then it should be fine to run 2 12 amp fans off one 13 amp cord, correct?

So, that's it. Again, any input or potential problems is greatly appreciated. Thank you!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	hood inside view.jpg
Views:	47
Size:	87.7 KB
ID:	353626  

Attached Images

Advertisement

Old 08-05-2014, 08:20 PM   #2
brooksie321
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Looks very professional! I've done something similar by just gutting the stock hood and wiring in 2 dual sockets. I drilled a bunch of holes on the top, with 4 26 w cfls running this thing generated a ton of heat. I remedied this by cutting an opening on the right side and positioning a 6" desk fan blowing into the rig. The fan helped tremendously. Are you going to use computer fans or something stronger?
brooksie321 is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-05-2014, 08:35 PM   #3
AGUILAR3
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (3/100%)

That's a pretty cool design. What's the reasoning behind dual exhaust fans? Have you thought about mounting the fans on the sides? (One side intake, other side exhaust)

It looks a big bulky(tall). Is the hood going to match the stand?
AGUILAR3 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-05-2014, 09:47 PM   #4
AHGoodwin
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by brooksie321 View Post
Looks very professional! I've done something similar by just gutting the stock hood and wiring in 2 dual sockets. I drilled a bunch of holes on the top, with 4 26 w cfls running this thing generated a ton of heat. I remedied this by cutting an opening on the right side and positioning a 6" desk fan blowing into the rig. The fan helped tremendously. Are you going to use computer fans or something stronger?
Computer fans.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AGUILAR3 View Post
That's a pretty cool design. What's the reasoning behind dual exhaust fans? Have you thought about mounting the fans on the sides? (One side intake, other side exhaust)

It looks a big bulky(tall). Is the hood going to match the stand?
Having a fan blowing in is not an option due to having 4 cats and a dog, all with hair everywhere. As far as it being tall and matching the stand, it is only about 9 inches and the tank is in a corner with a couch on both sides, so the stand is hidden. like this....
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	tank location.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	31.4 KB
ID:	353714  

Last edited by AHGoodwin; 08-05-2014 at 10:02 PM.. Reason: added picture
AHGoodwin is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-05-2014, 10:08 PM   #5
vanish
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (4/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by AHGoodwin View Post
Having a fan blowing in is not an option due to having 4 cats and a dog, all with hair everywhere. As far as it being tall and matching the stand, it is only about 9 inches and the tank is in a corner with a couch on both sides, so the stand is hidden. like this....
Unfortunately physics will not like you. Air has to come in from somewhere.
Old 08-05-2014, 10:18 PM   #6
AGUILAR3
Wannabe Guru

An intake filter should do the trick.

Quote:
it is only about 9 inches and the tank is in a corner with a couch on both sides, so the stand is hidden....
Looks much taller in the sketch. If the couches are also black, its going to look great.
Old 08-05-2014, 10:20 PM   #7
AHGoodwin
Planted Member

I will look into that. Unfortunately the couches are not black, they are olive green.

Bump:
Quote:
Originally Posted by vanish View Post
Unfortunately physics will not like you. Air has to come in from somewhere.
its not like the hood is going to be air tight, it will find its way in. I just don't want air being forced in pulling pet hair along with it.
Old 08-05-2014, 11:09 PM   #8
AGUILAR3
Wannabe Guru

I don't have pets but is that what it's like to have cats and dogs? Hair flying all over the atmosphere?
Old 08-05-2014, 11:16 PM   #9
AHGoodwin
Planted Member

you have no idea.
Old 08-05-2014, 11:28 PM   #10
brooksie321
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by AHGoodwin View Post
you have no idea.
+1,2,3,4 and 5
You'll never know the pain of cat hair floating on the water.. maddening. . Simply maddening..
Old 08-05-2014, 11:43 PM   #11
Hoppy
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (75/100%)

I suggest providing an inflow opening with a filter on it. Not having an inflow opening just means a lot less air will flow through to cool the bulbs. You can't keep air from coming into the hood if the fans are on, and that air will carry whatever hair is in the room air. An opening, with a filter should make almost all of the incoming air go through the filter.

The LED strip will need a 12 volt DC power supply. Did you allow room for that, or figure out where to put that supply?
Old 08-06-2014, 12:04 AM   #12
AHGoodwin
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoppy View Post
I suggest providing an inflow opening with a filter on it. Not having an inflow opening just means a lot less air will flow through to cool the bulbs. You can't keep air from coming into the hood if the fans are on, and that air will carry whatever hair is in the room air. An opening, with a filter should make almost all of the incoming air go through the filter.

The LED strip will need a 12 volt DC power supply. Did you allow room for that, or figure out where to put that supply?
I am going to look into the previously mentioned filter. As far as the led power supply, it can fit on top of the lip that the led strip will be mounted to.
Old 08-06-2014, 12:04 AM   #13
AGUILAR3
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by brooksie321 View Post
+1,2,3,4 and 5
You'll never know the pain of cat hair floating on the water.. maddening. . Simply maddening..

You have no idea. Similar pain I assume.

A year ago I bought an Expedition from an out of state auto auction that was supposedly smoke and pet free. I never understood why it mattered since a simple deep cleaning should get rid of anything left behind by either the smoker or pet.

16 months later, I still see hairs popping out of the cloths seats and can still smell a hint of wet dog/cat. I'll curse the previous owner till the day I die. lol
Old 08-06-2014, 12:07 AM   #14
AHGoodwin
Planted Member

Even fresh out of the drier my clothes have cat hair.....
Old 08-06-2014, 12:09 AM   #15
brooksie321
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by AGUILAR3 View Post
You have no idea. Similar pain I assume.

A year ago I bought an Expedition from an out of state auto auction that was supposedly smoke and pet free. I never understood why it mattered since a simple deep cleaning should get rid of anything left behind by either the smoker or pet.

16 months later, I still see hairs popping out of the cloths seats and can still smell a hint of wet dog/cat. I'll curse the previous owner till the day I die. lol
I feel this is pertinent to the thread as it will put in perspective just how much hair a cat can shed in a week. What if thats your filter every week??.Click image for larger version

Name:	uploadfromtaptalk1407280156412.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	45.3 KB
ID:	353826

Tags
build, diy, fans, hood, lights

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.